Thread: Exhaust Systems

Forum Member

Default Exhaust Systems

Does anyone have any informarion on systems that hang from the cieling for exhaust removal? I read it in firehouse magazine about a year ago but cannot find it now. I know it was approved to be used with the fire act grants. We are possibly going to be starting on a new station and would like to get some prices.

Forum Member

Exclamation

we got a Plymovent System on a Fire Act Grant. It was approx 58K and we love it.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We have plymovents right now but, there is a system that is mounted from the cieling and has no rales and you don't have to hook up to the apparatus.

MembersZone Subscriber

To elaborate on the thread, we're seriously considering the No-Smoke product from Ward's Diesel. To be perfectly honest, we have at least one building that just isn't worth hanging all of the diesel exhaust removal stuff in, then maybe having to tear it town to be installed in a new building in the future. I like the idea of installing the device on the rig and not having to mess with it other than filter changes.

Anyone using this system? Good or bad? We'll likely be going for our system in a grant, along with other associated firefighter health and safety items, though nothing has been decided yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the Air Evac system in our new house. No hoses or rails. I don't know the details on price or anything, but I'll try to find out something for you this week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pat,

We have one station with plymovents, but the others have a fan system built in so that when we pull the door opener's, they go on, and the doors are on a timer. The fans are the way to go, no hopping out and hooking up. Are they actually going to let you guys have input on a new building?
    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the Plymovent System installed in both stations. This was possible through the AFG grant in 2003. To date the system has worked extremely well. We have a maintenance agreement with the local distributor. They come in 2 times a year to change out filters, check timings for operation and make sure all the equipment is functional.

One of the selling points I made in the grant, was the equipment could be transferred to a new station (if & when it ever happens).

During research for the grant, one of the options was the Ward system. After contacting a number of departments with the Ward system, we disregarded it. Every department had issues with the system, so much so they all converted to the Plymovent System.

If you are applying for a grant for the AFG make sure what ever system you are looking at meets the requirements set forth in the PG (2006) pg. 23 which states,

Any vehicle exhaust extraction system funded under this
    activity should be either extensive enough to extract all toxic vapors and particulates emitted from internal combustion engines and meet all applicable Federal, state, and local standards or be a part of a larger comprehensive system that does. Some exhaust extraction systems may meet standards for removal of certain carcinogens, but not others; therefore,it may be necessary to utilize more than one system or employ complementary systems to fully protect your firefighters.
    If you go with the Plymovent System make sure it's equipped with an exhaust silencer, especially if you have a large amount of apparatus or long runs of duct work. If not, expect complaints from neighbors when the system kicks on. We learned this the hard way.
    Last edited by onebugle; 03-06-2006 at 10:24 AM.

Forum Member

Yeah wub believe it or not they are. The firm that did Streators station is going to do ours it sounds like. The city liked the look of Streators station so I think alot of the layout will come off of that building, but who knows.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pat:
    Sounds like you're finally going to see the money for the ladder truck.
    According to my source, the budget is conditional on Blago releasing the rest of the Illinois First money from over 2 years ago.
    Wouldn't that be cool? New station; new truck.
    And you're getting married. Does it get any better than that?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

We will see about the first two ,but the important thing is the honeymoon is paid for and ready to go!

Thread Information