Thread: Exhaust Systems

Forum Member

Default Exhaust Systems

Does anyone have any info on exhaust systems that are hanging and that are not dependent on hooking the hose to the apparatus. I read some info about a year ago but now cannot find it.

Forum Member

Here is the web site for one of the products that you may be looking for...

http://rghpacific.com/airmation/index.html

It doesn't meet the requirements for our province.

Forum Member

The above website noted are the ones we have in Philly. We have the low ceiling models and they suck. Of course Im willing to bet the city refused to install the amount needed to actually do the work. The company delivered 1 unit for each truck in the station yet the city installed 1 short for every station. In other words, we got 3 delivered (engine ladder medic) and only got 2 installed. Our neighboring station got 4 delivered (engine ladder chief medic) and only got 3 installed. Funny, I wonder why that is?
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18
    We have the low ceiling models and they suck.
    You mean they don't suck.

Seriously, the only type of system that seems to do any good are the "point capture" (hose type) models. The only places I've worked that weren't choking in diesel soot had the hose type systems.

Forum Member

Ummm, yeah, they dont suck

We won in arbitration the mandate that the city was to install an exhaust system. We had a trial station selected for point capture and one for this crap we got now. The city chose this filtration crap. Our union actually had a point capture system that was CHEAPER yet the city refused because they wanted to make the decision. So, in the end, we got worse equipment at a higher price. Typical government.

MembersZone Subscriber

We installed the Airmation system in September from an AFG award. We have 1 per vehicle. Having been around this system and a source capture system, the airmation is definitely fireman proof. Other than changing out the filters on a scheduled basis, there isn't really any maintenance. It has made a positive difference, especially since we have our offices and training room above the bays. Fumes used to come up the elevator shaft, but that problem is solved. There are times that the point capture has its advantages, but I'm glad we went with the ceiling mounted airmation style.

Our station has 3 bays on an older portion of the building, housing 3 vehicles. Activate one sensor, and all 3 units come on together. On the newer portion of the building, we have 2 bays and 3 vehicles. Again, the 3 units work simultaneously. Pretty simple, but I truly think they are worth the investment.

Glenn Rainey
    Colington, NC

MembersZone Subscriber

we have the system but it never works.either the filter needs to be serviced or the hose doesnt come off the pipe.its pretty funny sometimes when you see one of our rigs dragging a little peice of yellow hose down the road

Forum Member

Anymore opinions on the Airmation system? We are having them installed into our station, and frankly, I can't see them being as working as well as the hose type. We have 3 rigs in our station, and are getting 3 units installed. Can you really run 3 rigs inside with the doors down?
    First in, Last out...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HighOnTheHill
    Anymore opinions on the Airmation system? We are having them installed into our station, and frankly, I can't see them being as working as well as the hose type. We have 3 rigs in our station, and are getting 3 units installed. Can you really run 3 rigs inside with the doors down?
    Absolutely not! They dont work as well as they claim.

MembersZone Subscriber

We evaluated both point of source capture hoses and ceiling mounted "scrubbers".

The hose type won hands down.

We have installed hose type in all stations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Pretty happy with Airmation. True, it isn't 100% point capture, but we can already tell a positive difference. However, I haven't run 3 trucks with the door closed. Really don't want to try either.

Forum Member

Hey PFD, what was the cheaper unit??

Forum Member

My chief said we didnt deserve a vehicle exhaust removal system. He said that when we start a truck to just open the doors, so that is exactly what we are doing, weather it is 70 above or 70 below zero. I wonder how the city likes the heating bill for the station when we are doing that 5-10 times a day. Our union is in the process of fighitng the city on the issue.

Forum Member

Default Exhaust Systems

In my volunteer department we installed an Air Vac 911 system when I was Chief. 6 units to cover 5 double drive through bays (ambulances and rescue trucks). They seem to work OK but filters need to be replaced a certain times. Our walls are various shades of gray and we did not get the discoloration from deisel. You do get some smell but it is quickly sucked up. We did not run vehicles in the buildings though. They were cheaper and with combination paid/volunteer, we felt it would be hard to get people to hook up the hoses. Our station is on the web site's pic. http://www.airvacuumcorp.com/

My full time job uses Plymovent. But we still do not run the vehicles with the hoses attached for any long period of time. We have melted some boots on the hoses. The bottoms are breakaway but have had some damage or the hoses will sometimes slip off the exhaust pipes. We have a backing policy so someone is always behind you to hook them up. But still you get some odor and smoke because while the person is getting the hose, the wind blows the smoke in the bays. But when responding it works well.

Thread Information