MembersZone Subscriber

Default Parents fear MySpace

Parents fear MySpace is a pedophile playground

12:00 AM CST on Sunday, March 5, 2006
    By BILL MARVEL and NANCY CHURNIN / The Dallas Morning News

Mom was shocked when she sat down to help her daughter with a computer problem.

DAVID LEESON /DMN
    Of the 60 million members of MySpace, a social networking site, 10 million are estimated to be younger than 17. Right up there on the Internet where anybody might find it was her daughter's picture, hobbies and friends. And a lie: The 12-year-old had listed her age as 14 to get access to the Web site.

Not only that, but among the e-mail messages her daughter received through the site was one from a 30-year-old man offering to open up "a whole new group of friends" for her.

The woman, a divorced mother who lives in the Park Cities, doesn't want her name or that of her daughter in the newspaper because, she says, the issue is privacy.

Her daughter is a member of what's being called the MySpace generation named for the phenomenally successful Web site that enables users to exchange gossip, gripes, deep thoughts, pictures and whatever else comes into their minds. The kids are computer-savvy, in touch and upfront.

And that's placing them in danger, say law enforcement authorities, school and church officials, and parents who take the time to monitor the sites.

In January, a 14-year-old girl in Newark, N.J., was found naked and strangled in a garbage bin. Friends said she had been in contact with an older man through one of the social network sites. That same month, a 26-year-old Houston man was charged with sexual assault, accused of luring a 15-year-old-girl into a relationship through MySpace. And Thursday, FBI officials in Connecticut revealed that a pair of undercover agents went on MySpace to track down two adult men who had sexually assaulted underage girls they contacted over the site.

"To my knowledge it has not happened here," says police Officer Tony Rike, security officer at Park Heritage Middle School in Frisco. He says he noticed about two years ago that kids at the school were putting up some very personal information on such sites "everything from revealing photos to home addresses to cellphone numbers."

"This raised red flags."

Wild success

With 60 million members, an estimated 10 million under the age of 17, News Corp.-owned MySpace is the biggest and fastest growing of the social network sites, as they are called. Others include Facebook and Xanga. Users are supposed to be at least 14, a restriction easily thwarted.

The site's popularity is no mystery at least to users.

Shelby Evans, a Plano 12-year-old, says she has made 107 friends via MySpace since she started using it in January.

"You get all excited when you get a comment," she says. "It's like getting e-mail or a letter in the mail. It's also a lot easier getting to know somebody on the site than introducing yourself at school, which is a lot more socially awkward."

Teens fill their sites with snapshots of friends and pets, artwork, comments on teachers and elders, pinups of favorite performers the kinds of things once found in teens' albums and diaries and on bulletin boards. The Internet twist is that they often include audio and video components.

"My view is that teens need their own world somewhere and their own way of expression," says Jonathan Gary, 17, of Dallas, a junior at Greenhill School.

Andrew Moua, a 17-year-old Duncanville High School student, uses MySpace to plan weekends with friends. But he knows of one friend who posted an uncomplimentary remark about her mom on the site and got kicked out of the house as a result.

Jonathan says few kids take what they read on the sites seriously, anyway. "Nobody makes a big deal out of it," he says. "It's something to laugh at."

Restrictions

But predators can easily register as teenagers at social network sites. False identity established, they can gain the confidence of those using the site. Or they can watch for clues a child's activities posted online might lead to a sports schedule and to a specific playing field at a specific time, for example.

News Corp. announced last week that it will soon start screening members to prevent the kinds of crimes that have drawn the attention of authorities and parents. Although no details of the new plan have been released, chief executive Chris DeWolf said the company is searching for an executive to head its safety and security education program.

Nevertheless, Park Heritage and many other schools, including the entire Dallas Independent School District, block or are planning to block access to social network sites from school computers.

"There are still parents out there who don't know about it," says Officer Rike. "Lot of parents these days don't spend family time together as they used to. Kids don't stop to think about the dangers."

Fears overblown?

But adults may be overthinking the dangers, according to some experts who monitor kids and their use of the media.

Kelly McBride, ethics group leader at the Poynter Institute, a media-studies organization, says news stories about MySpace have made it sound like "a place where only bad things can happen."

The thing that adults miss, she says, is that kids have taken a site originally created so they could share their music and transformed it into a new thing, a whole new social environment.

"One of the things that happens just naturally to adults when kids become innovators is, we tend to react out of the frame we know, which is the frame of the protector, and we don't necessarily value the innovation that they are bringing," she says.

A parent's lesson

Jaye Hansen of Plano first heard about the sites at a parents' conference at her church.

"I was told that it was a hookup service and that it wasn't good," she says.

It wasn't until her own 13-year-old daughter asked permission to go on MySpace, however, that Ms. Hansen decided to look into it a little more deeply. (Ms. Hansen didn't want her daughter's name used in this article.)

Her daughter, now 14, says friends who already used the site kept urging her to get onboard. Last month Ms. Hansen gave in, but only after setting some ground rules.

"I have a great kid," she says. "She has straight A's, and she hasn't done anything for me not to trust her.

"But there are pedophiles. I have a pretty daughter, and that's what I'm concerned about."

The daughter's full name and other identifying information must not appear on the site. The girl's MySpace profile is designated "private," meaning only friends whom she can identify are allowed to exchange messages with her. And at all times Ms. Hansen has access to her daughter's site and to all the sites of all those her daughter corresponds with.

"It's public domain, after all," Ms. Hansen says.

As a result she has become the MySpace guru and guide for other moms whose daughters are in the same circle of online friends.

"She knows the ins and outs," says Cindy Cieri, whose 14-year-old is in the group. Ms. Cieri keeps close watch over her own daughter's Internet habits, she says. "If she's on, I'll go into her room she's got a little laptop and I'll look over her shoulder."

But she says Ms. Hansen goes further much further.

"She not only monitors her kids," Ms. Cieri says. "She monitors our kids. She tells the kids, 'I'm reading everything going in and coming out.' "

For example, Ms. Hansen noticed one of the girls had posted her full name on her MySpace site. "She told her mother, and her mother took it off," Ms. Cieri says.

Ms. Hansen's daughter says she isn't bothered when Mom monitors her site. "I just don't want my mom looking over their sites," she says of her friends.

But Ms. Hansen is just doing what authorities recommend.

The Park Cities mom who would rather not be identified has gone a little further: She has placed a parental lock on the family computer for the time being. "I've become very unpopular with my child," she says.

"I'm definitely fighting an uphill battle."

Staff writer Karen M. Thomas contributed to this report.

E-mail bmarvel@dallasnews.com

and nchurnin@dallasnews.com

Forum Member

I thought it was a site for 20somethings with no social skills to meet chicks!
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Yeah, Blame it on the website.

If a child age 12 lies about their age, it's not up to the webmaster(s) to investigate. If the child is doing that, they are at risk. But yeah, let's take the easy way out and put the blame on everyone else instead of asking the parents where they are, and how they are going to fix the situation in their own household.

Parents just need to be pro-active, and start being parents, instead of expecting a computer to raise their child. Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Thread Information