Forum Member

Default University gets grant?

How does Indiana University rate a million dollar grant. They don't have a fire department.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you're talking about the Fire Prevention awards, you don't have to be a fire department to apply or win an award. Eligible activities include research projects to support or enhance responder safety, so colleges, IAFC, IAFF, Red Cross, among other national organizations have all received Fire Prevention awards over the past 5 years.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hope they keep smiling on Indiana...

One of the partners in our application is another university of that fine state.

Still about $22.5 million left to give out. At this pace, could we be looking at 10 more rounds???

vfd cap'n

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    If you're talking about the Fire Prevention awards, you don't have to be a fire department to apply or win an award. Eligible activities include research projects to support or enhance responder safety, so colleges, IAFC, IAFF, Red Cross, among other national organizations have all received Fire Prevention awards over the past 5 years.

- Brian
    Even non-profits with a bend & mission towards prevention & safety can apply. (Is why you see the Red Cross and such get funded), but other non-profits can apply, as well.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Forum Member

which university are you partnered with vfd cap'n?

MembersZone Subscriber

Newbomb,

We hope to be working with Purdue for the evaluation of our firefighter safety effort. It's a project to digitize wildland fire entrapment fatality reports, create an updated "lessons learned" curriculum and host a wildfire safety drill for hands-on exercises to model those lessons.

We estimate there are about 75 fatality burnover incidents from the past 70 years, with about 15 investigation reports currently available on-line. We would hope to digitize an additional 35 reports in a year and assemble all on a single website.

Just like everybody else here, getting the grant would make a huge difference in how much we could accomplish. But, getting the Dear John letter won't stop us from doing what we can.

vfd cap'n

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That's a heck of a project with a load of benefit to it. I'm not sure how it can't be funded considering the wildfire dangers all over the place.

Although I am curious, how are they going to be different from the current reports on USFA and NIOSH now? Wind shift pattern models based on terrain, fuel load, and weather conditions? That would be cool. Good luck and keep us posted.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, Brian.

We did get feedback from NIOSH on our proposal before we submitted. Our implementation plan includes them in the workshop for the Lessons Learned curriculum revision. The NIOSH report format works great for case studies, although sometimes the interagency or OSHA investigations go into greater depth.

Because the NIOSH firefighter fatality program only goes back to the mid-1990's and with previous limitations to investigating local agencies, they've only completed 3 wildland entrapment investigations. Of course, those reports are already digitized in .html and .pdf formats, so they're the easy ones to add to a collection.

We couldn't find solid numbers for our target audience, so we tried to justify a target audience of 500,000 firefighters who fight wildland fire (vs. pure structural/rescue/EMS companies.) We did cite the USFA census in our risk assessment, as well as the Everyone Goes Home life safety initiatives.

We've started with the historical reports like the 1956 Inaja Fire and 1966 Loop Fire, which led to firefighter safety rules like the Fire Orders, PPE requirements, and the downhill fireline construction checklist.

Considering that about two-thirds of fatality entrapments are firefighters under the age of 30, we need to keep those older lessons fresh.

vfd cap'n

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I think the audience is probably larger than that. Almost every VFD in the country fights wildfires at some point. We border Houston and even though they're planting houses like corn, we still have large open fields and medium density forest all around us. Especially in the M/A areas. I think the risk is greater where the departments think wildland is something they don't need to know about, in the urban and suburban settings, because there is no training done. We do a 3 hour recruit classroom training on wildland and that's it. We're definitely at a higher risk for an injury or fatality because no one has any real in-depth experience with wildland.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree the target audience is probably higher. We chose to go conservative with the estimate. We wrote:

"The actual number fire department personnel involved in wildland fire is unknown. The USFA/NFPA survey questions did not gather that information. It seems safe to say that it is something over half a million firefighters. It is known that the federal agencies employ or contract an average of 30,000 firefighters and support personnel each wildfire season."

We did get strong letters of Congressional support from our U.S. Representative and one of our Senators. The staffers had actually read the proposal and understood what we wanted to accomplish. I don't know how much difference that makes in the selection process.

The revised Lessons Learned curriculum would be priced right for VFD's and could easily be pared down to fit a 2-hour evening training block.

"The final course curriculum would be offered back to NWCG without copyright restriction and without charge for inclusion in the NIFC publications cache. The entire course with printed instructor materials would still cost about $25.00. Any fire department or training division could order the course on one or two DVD disks for less than five dollars."

vfd cap'n

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Keep me posted, I know a lot of departments around here that would use that as a course for that price.

I'd cross my fingers for you but I can't type like that.

Thread Information