Forum Member

Default Educational Help Wanted....

For several years now I have been wanting/meaning to look into on-line degree programs...I have 19 paid full time years in now and really want to increase my value to my or another department down the road. I just received a mailer from "Keiser" college in Sarasota, Fl. but my question is this. Has anyone taken courses on-line in fire science or management or any other field with positive results? Good or bad? I have NO time for going to classes here in my area right now as Im a single parent of 2 who require most of my spare time, although community colleges abound me. Thanks for any input and stay safe!!

MembersZone Subscriber

University of Maryland University College has an OUTSTANDING online BS Fire Science program. They are also affiilated with the NFA, so for all your fire science classes, you will receive your NFA certificate as well. Online classes require a great deal of discipline as most of your grade is based on research papers and particiapting in online conferences in each class. It is far more challenging than a traditional classroom experience but one that I am finding to be extremely rewarding and I look forward to the day when I come to Maryland to graduate. Go check out the site.

www.umuc.edu

Sherry (you are more than welcome to PM me if you have any specific questions )

Forum Member

Another Option. . .Associate's Degree, accepts Pro Board Certifications for many requirements.

http://www.firescience.net/

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by superchef
    University of Maryland University College has an OUTSTANDING online BS Fire Science program. They are also affiilated with the NFA, so for all your fire science classes, you will receive your NFA certificate as well. Online classes require a great deal of discipline as most of your grade is based on research papers and particiapting in online conferences in each class. It is far more challenging than a traditional classroom experience but one that I am finding to be extremely rewarding and I look forward to the day when I come to Maryland to graduate. Go check out the site.

www.umuc.edu

Sherry (you are more than welcome to PM me if you have any specific questions )
    Totally 100% agree. My BD degree in Fire Science is from UMUC. It is a little expensive, but the instructors are top rate, the system is very user friendly and the institution is top notch.

Do not pay attention to a moron on another thread who is giving intentionally misleading information about UMUC. They DO have a BS degree in Fire Science.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doublerock
    I wanted to let you know that there is a difference between a BS Fire Science degree and certificate. University of Maryland University doesn't offer a BS in Fire Science it only offers a certificate. You can go into a Masters program with a Bachelors degree; you can't with a certificate. Certificates are not nearly as marketable as degrees. Hope this information helps!
    You are intentionally misleading people. You are doing it to advance your program. This is professionally unethical and morally dishonest.

UMUC does have a BS degree. I have one on my wall issued in August 2002. Here is a link to the "Undergraduate Majors and Minors" page where Fire Science is clearly listed as a BS Degree option.
    http://www.umuc.edu/prog/ugp/mjr_chart.shtml

This info should be deleted immediately. It is wrong. I am an instructor in a Fire Science program at a community college in NJ. I think I understand how interested your supervisor would be in the bogus lies you are intentionally posting under the name of your institution.

Forum Member

Check out Durham Tech, you can get an online degree in Fire Science and also I believe you can transfer to UNCC for your BS in Fire Safety Engineering.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Thread Information