MembersZone Subscriber

Default NxG2 Air bottle problems!!

My dept have had the new Scott NxG2 SCBAs for little over a year now. We have noticed that the bottles for these packs do NOT stay at 4500 psi. I was wondering if anyone else out there that has these new packs have had similar problems. If so, what did you do to fix this serious problem.

Forum Member

Are you saying that when the bottle is filled to 4500 (and allowing for the allowable pressure drop due to temperature) and it sits on a NxG2 with the bottle valve closed, yours lose pressure? Sounds like your bottles have bad valves.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Are you saying that when the bottle is filled to 4500 (and allowing for the allowable pressure drop due to temperature) and it sits on a NxG2 with the bottle valve closed, yours lose pressure? Sounds like your bottles have bad valves.
    I was actually going to go with the filled too fast theory. Either way, simple solution to figure it out, take a bottle of dishsoap and water, spray it on all of the connections and fittings. where a leak could come from on the bottle valve. If you see bubbles, then you have a leak. I've seen this on a few of our Scott 50's, the valve is just barely open, and over time it just slowly leaks into the system, once or twice I've seen it activate the PASS. But anyway...figure out if you have a leak first, then call Scott, or the closest repair facility.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Valve

We have been advised by our air shops guys that sometimes when they fill them the turn valve is not all the way turned off. I can't remember how he explained it, but we were helping him unload one day and we kept finding low bottles from the truck. The truck had sat with the bottles in it for a few days. He said we should always check and make sure the valve is shut all the way due to the way they fill them or they might lose air.

MembersZone Subscriber

We too have had the "Next Gen" systems for the past year, and our experience has been less then desired!! The problem you mention is something we dealt with. Our sales / service rep had a technician come out and replace o-rings within the valves of our cylinders - very long few days for him. This, in addition to ensuring the valves are completely closed, has seemed to lessen the frequency of leaking cylinders.

I know there is another thread on this very issue, but I'll list some of our problems here. If you do a search on this site you'll sure find other troubles.

Other problems include:

Excessive battery consumption - We are replacing the 3 "C" cell batteries much more frequently as compared to the longevity of the dual 9volt batteries used by the Air-Pack 50. *** I understand the two systems are apples and oranges; but, nobody should have to spend extra money on batteries in the fashion this system consumes them. We are in the process of trying to track the battery changes for trends.

Buddy-breather pig-tail - The pigtail is secured in place by a very chinsy plastic clip, while tucked inside a pouch along the waist belt. We have had to take numerous packs out of service due to this very poor and horrible design. They need to make a closure flap for this pouch to keep the pig-tail inside as opposed to dangling out when it comes free from the clip or the clip breaks.

Electronic issues - Aside from the battery consumption, we have had packs sent back to the repair center for mother-boards to be replaced.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by En6ine
    Electronic issues - Aside from the battery consumption, we have had packs sent back to the repair center for mother-boards to be replaced.
    Last night I was talking with a buddy from a neighboring FD and they have had the NexGens for a little while, and they have already sent several back for this same problem. While it does not affect the ability to get air, it does affect (can affect) the warning devices and the fancy features.

MembersZone Subscriber

You are correct, we have not encountered any issues with not getting air either - YET! It will only be a matter of time before someone gets jammed up and this product fails them when need they need it most. The problems so far have been more of a time consuming annoyance. I am afraid these problems soon will be passed off by people with a complacent mindset of not wanting to constantly deal with replacing the electronic components. I hope this attitude does not develop or spread, but my fears and predictions are present. You can only shrug your shoudlers and raise your hands in disgust so many times before getting tired of it. And yes, we are addressing our concerns with our sales rep with action being at the pace of a snail.

Forum Member

We have the Scott AP 50's with 45 minute air cylinders.

There was a problem with some of the valves on the air cylinders leaking by ever so slowly... when the pressure drop exceeded the predetermined PSI the PASS device were going off.

Our Scott rep/vendor came came out and replaced the valves on those cylinders... and then there are those who do not fully close the valves after checking their scba.....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

The battery issue was addressed with a flash update to the chip. Ours were corrected 6+ months ago and they've been fine since.
    Original o-rings leaked. Cylinders evened out at around 3000psi nearly every time. Replaced the rings, working fine.
    If you're not having good results with the salesman, start calling scott directly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by En6ine
    You are correct, we have not encountered any issues with not getting air either - YET! It will only be a matter of time before someone gets jammed up and this product fails them when need they need it most. The problems so far have been more of a time consuming annoyance. I am afraid these problems soon will be passed off by people with a complacent mindset of not wanting to constantly deal with replacing the electronic components. I hope this attitude does not develop or spread, but my fears and predictions are present. You can only shrug your shoudlers and raise your hands in disgust so many times before getting tired of it. And yes, we are addressing our concerns with our sales rep with action being at the pace of a snail.
    The Department I was talking about, has a technician / service center right there inhouse.. however, the IC board repairs have to be done at a higher level, and from what this guy was told after having their packs in for repair take almost 6 months, that scott is backlogged with this problem and does not have enough spare parts for the number of replacements they have to do for the boards.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you all for your replies, Our dept has many, many 4.5 scott air bottles. We have not had problems with those bottles, Only on the new NxG2 air bottles. We would fill the bottles and put them on the apparatus, and walk in the next day and the bottle would be down to 3000psi. We have had other problems with these new packs, but nothing as serious as lossing air. Again thank you all, I am glad we are not the only ones that are having these particular problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've had 12x NxG2 and 14x 4500psi 45min bottles for about 1 year. No problems with air leakage noted.

Thread Information