Forum Member

Default SCBA Updates - Where is it?

O.K. You convinced me to go for updates rather than replacements. So I went to the application under PPE.

The problem is; I do not see any catagory that upgrades fits in too. It is all about replacements. Is this new? What did you do in the past?

MembersZone Subscriber

I haven't gotten that far into this application yet. But when we went for upgrades in 2004, within the PPE catergory there should be an area similar to SCBA other. Use this, then you need to explain it in the next box.

I'm working a detail today, I will post the exact terminology I used to expalin the upgrade when I get done.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just took alook at the 2006 application. At the bottom of the list for various PPE is "Other PPE (explain)" this is what you want to use. Then explain it in the next box which asks for further description. This is what I used to expalin the updates "Upgrade SCBA's to meet NFPA 1981 2002 edition".

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I called the Help Desk, and....

I am shoting for the same upgrades. I spoke to the Help Desk at AFG Wednesday, and the guy that spoke to me seemed very familiar with what I was asking. He said to use upgrades to PPE in the PPE category. If you are also loking for RIT packs, as we are, then that would go in the Equipment part. Hope that helps.

Glenn Rainey

MembersZone Subscriber

FYI, when you go to "Request Details" and enter the field for "Add Protective Equipment" you will not find "Upgrades to PPE" in the drop down menu for "Select the PPE that you propose to acquire". The only option is "Other PPE (explain)" at the bottom.

If you are going for upgrades you will have to answer the following question further down the page.

What is the purpose of this request? (suggest using) to replace worn, but usable equipment

Forum Member

This seemed like the right place to ask.
    We have a total of 16 airpacks.
    We have 2 engines (4 seats on each)
    I have 2 new airpacks (last month)
    But I also have 4 airpacks that are about 4 years old that need to be upgraded and then I have 8 that are around 9-10 years old. And 2 more airpacks that are closer to 15 years old.

Can I ask for 10 new packs and upgrade 4? Or will they only allow me to ask for 8 total (since that's the number of seats).

Thanks for the help

Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

The PG states,

We will limit funding for SCBAs to the number of seated positions based on the applicant’s firefighting vehicle fleet unless otherwise justified in the narrative.
    Unless those 8 9-10 year old units are pretty well beat up, damaged and falling apart you will be hard pressed to justify new. If they are in good shape, I suggest upgrading 14 SCBA.

The above rule will have a factor, unless you justify in the narrative clearly the reason to carry 16 SCBA on 2 apparatus. Why do you? The number of personnel on the department will also impact the number of SCBA.

If you can't justify the need, I see it being 6 SCBA, you already have 2 new SCBA. I would think the rule would apply to new SCBA only, but you may need to get clarification on that from AFG.

Forum Member

Well we don't carry 16 on 2 trucks. We carry 16 on 3 apparatus, one being a support truck. But I didn't think support trucks applied in the one per seat rule.
    I'm just going to get what I need, I'm not going to replace everything. I'll take a look at the program guidance a little deeper and go with the best fit.

thanks

Forum Member

We have older viking ISI's, I have priced upgrades to current standards and I can buy new scotts for the same price as the upgrades.

We have 8 and would like to add 4.

How will this score if we justify the replacement as apposed to upgrade?

Thanks

Thread Information