First off let me apologize if my civilian presence here represents an intrusion of any sort. I just needed to thank a firefighter and this seems like the right place to do so.

In late July I took my family on vacation in Laconia New Hampshire (South Down Shores) On the second day of our vacation, while walking with my pregnant wife, my 3 year old son nearly amputated the end of his finger. A small piece of skin held the tip on. Hearing the scream of my wife from the shock of the site of my son's dangling fingertip an off-duty fireman on vacation came running. Having nothing else to turnicate the wound he pulled off his shirt and held the tip on tightly until the ambulance arrived, all the while comforting my son telling him that everything would be OK.

At the emergency room at Lakes Regional they put six stitches in his finger to reattach it. It is fine now and even the nail has grown back. In its proper perspective I understand that this is a minor injury, but the shock and helplessness my wife and I felt seeing our son in such pain was startling. The comfort that that firefighter was able to provide not only my son, but also to me and my wife was immeasurable.

I don't know the name of this good samaratin. When asked he refused to give it, believeing that the act was the important thing, not the man who did it. I would like to find him and thank him for the invaluable comfort and care he gave my family that day. I'm sure he has done more heroic things in his day, but none that so directly affected me and my family.

Unfortunately I will probably never know his identity so I offer a thanks to any firefighter who reads this from the civilians that you help and never have a chance to thank you.

Sincerely,

Matt Byrne