Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Polaris Ranger Grass Rig

Our dept. is thinking about getting a Ranger 6x6 to help with our grass fires. What are some companies out there that make bed units for the ranger that have the tank, pump, and hose all as one unit?

Thanks

http://www.wallysfire.com/

They sell one, fully equipped. I have seen this unit in person, and I must admit, i was pretty impressed with they way they set things up. You might be able to buy the ranger, and then outfit it with your own setup cheaper than you can buy a full setup from anybody else.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

MembersZone Subscriber

not tryin to knock anyone, but with a water tank that small, youd be better off ****ing on the fire.

in the time it will take you to get back to a water supply and fill up, it will be pointless.

just my .02 if you need a grass rig, buy a grass rig.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't have anything constructive add to the thread, but I'd like to address the last post.

We're thinking about getting something similiar. We were actually thinking about a John Deere Gator. We have no intention of using it to directly attack grass fires. That's best suited to grass rigs. What we're interested in using it for is the wooded areas that are inaccessible with the trucks. Specifically, moving crews deep into the woods to work with hand tools, setting back fires or scouting the fire. If possible, we're thinking it might have a use to move victims (hunters etc) from the woods on some rescue calls, but that would be very far second on the priority list.

We have no intention of using it as a first-out type of apparatus. It would be used only on exteneded incidents.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up 6x6

We have a Polaris 6x6 for brush fires + rescue. It comes in very handy for places our brush truck can,t reach + it has proven to be a very useful for brush fires.

Quote Originally Posted by 275fbvfd
    not tryin to knock anyone, but with a water tank that small, youd be better off ****ing on the fire.

in the time it will take you to get back to a water supply and fill up, it will be pointless.
    The link for the unit I posted is equipped with a 1.5" hard suction with a barrel strainer capable of drafting. If you're in semi-wet lands like me - there's your water source.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 275fbvfd

just my .02 if you need a grass rig, buy a grass rig.

We do have a grass rig. We are wanting to add the Ranger to help get back into areas our first due can't get too. Common sense tells you that.

This company is a couple hours from us. www.terrator.com. Looks pretty solid.

MembersZone Subscriber

My vollie department just purchased a Polaris Ranger 6x6 for this exact purpose. We (a couple of fireifighters in particular) hand welded and built a bed unit for the vehicle. We have a 50 gallon tank, high pressure pump with braided steel hose, and capabilities to switch to rescue instead of brush fires.

50 gallons of water lasted for 22 full minutes of wide open use. Comments on "small tanks are useless for brush fires" and "get a real brush rig" serve no real purpose on here. Our county has several similar ATV's with similar size tanks and they make a HUGE difference in how we attack a brush or grass fire.

I will have pictures up shortly for it at http://www.deerfieldfd.com

Stay safe

Jerry
    All statements made here do not reflect in any way the opinions or feelings of my employer.

Other than that, stay safe

well - unless you're just stuck on the Ranger

Slightly less cargo space (in cu ft) but the ranger won't float
    (disclaimer - cargo capacity reduce in "Amphibious" mode)

http://argoatv.com/products/product.asp?MID=10
    8 wheel drive amphibious off-road vehicle with 4 cycle overhead valve V-Twin air cooled Briggs & Stratton engine, electronic ignition, 18 HP, 570 cc and load capacity of 1000lbs. In water - Capable of carrying 700 lbs / 350 kg (including operators) per owners manual

or better yet

http://centaur8x8.ca/applications/ap...ons.asp?AID=36
    8 wheel drive amphibious utility vehicle with a liquid-cooled 3 cylinder B&SD turbo charged diesel engine producing 31 Hp at 3600 rpm and 55 ft lbs of torque at 2400. Mid engine and transmission design, fully enclosed occupant ROPS cab, 10 cubic ft rear cargo area and 1500 lb payload capacity

Capable of carrying 700 lbs / 350 kg (including operators) across small lakes and rivers with little vehicle preparation.

No I'm not a dealer I just love these things. Friend has one and I have yet to see the terrain that could stop it.

Back to your specific question,
    http://www.rkoenterprises.com/
    http://www.finleyfire.com/wildlands.htm
    http://www.firestopper.us/Products/6...risCAF/6x6.htm
    Last edited by N2DFire; 03-08-2006 at 01:07 PM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

My dept has a Ranger 6x6 with an 80gal tank. We had several guys on the dept that were upset that we were "wasting" our money on this. We have had it for almost 2 years now and have used it several times. It is the 3 vehicle out on grass fires, (grass truck, tanker and then this) It has performed great, gone through stuff you couldn't even walk through, gets places our other trucks can't and the 80 gal of water goes a long way. check out our website for pics of it. www.eriefpd.com
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

we have a 6x6 Ranger we got donated and are looking into the same set up....our ranger is awesome for offroad rescues, doesn't get used much but its good to have

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

My dept. has 2. We thought they were a waste of money. But now we love them. We got them with a grant. They have a homemade tanks and pumps on them. We have areas of are distract that a brush truck just will not go.

Forum Member

M & T Fire in our area sells rangers set up as grass rigs.
    http://www.mtfiresafety.com/app_polaris.htm

2005 Polaris 6 X 6 w/ 116 gallon aluminum water tank
    3 gallon foam cell
    CET Fire pump w/ 6HP Honda Motor
    Scotty Foam System
    Electric Hose Reel
    Booster Hose
    Top Storage tray w/ 1" crosslay to hold 1" hose
    Stainless Steel Plumbing
    Attached Images Attached Images    

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Something To Ponder

One thing you should think about doing is putting tracks on that Ranger becuase I know of a dept that has the old 6x6 and they have tracks on it and have never gotten it stuck. And don't get me wrong they have been through it all. With all that extra weight, they just don't do so well in mud or swams and if you have anthing like that think about tracks you will love them.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Heres a link to tracks. They Kick Butt.
    http://www.mattracks.com/index.htm
    If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, Then baffle them with your bull****.

[QUOTE=275fbvfd]not tryin to knock anyone, but with a water tank that small, youd be better off ****ing on the fire. in the time it will take you to get back to a water supply and fill up, [QUOTE]

Well with that theory why would you ever use backpacks.... We have a 4x4 Ranger (donated to us by Polaris whose factory is 20 miles from us). We built our own tank and put a new pump on it. We use a basic garden hose on the back. It works much better than pumping a pack, gets considerable more distance and with the smaller diameter hose it uses less water.... That being said it obviously isn't the weapon of choice in a major burner, but neither are backpacks, but that's way we have two other brush trucks. Even with the smaller tank, the time it takes to empty, fill and return is much more effiecient than an FF humping with a tank. In the end, it all depends what you use it for, but we are extremely pleased with it and for 90% of the fires it'll do the job of 5 guys with packs.

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

We recently recieved a grant for this; We can slide off the pump/tank and slide on a Med bed.

Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up 6x6

We have 1 Polaris 6x6 and wish we had another. If we ever get a 2nd one it will be the ranger 2 seater for better pump and roll and for hauling people. We have tracks on ours. We had a small woodland fire today and it came in very handy for putting out the fire and for the overhaul part. Easy to refill tank instead of pulling hose. Tim R.

Forum Member

My first department had an old Military Jeep (1950 something) set up as a brush truck. It had a "small" 40 gal tank and put out a lot of fires in its 30+ years in Fire service (was finally replaced by a small pickup brush rig).

My thoughts on a Polaris or similar "Gator" type vehice is that they may not be very fast, and not certified to drive on some roads. While I like "Gator types" for many uses, I would rather have a real "street" vehicle set up as a brush unit than a "Gator".

I think a small pickup set up as a brush unit would be the way to go if you will have to drive any real distance to get to the fire. They are not much larger than a Polaris or Gator, hold a little more weight, and with 4X4 can go just about anywhere the Gators can.

Forum Member

Ya know, realize how different fires & terminology can be.

When I hear "grass" fire, I do think field fires -- something you can drive a full size truck into fairly easily, cause the fields support tractors when making hay.

That application, I'd really question using an ATV -- you should have good access with a truck, and the limited water isn't going to do much against a fast moving, light fuel fire like grass -- it's either burning really freaking hot and fast...or it's burnt out.

I don't think 275 or anyone who criticized him is right or wrong, just a difference in perspectives due to the plain english meanings of words evoking different mental pictures (Hey, but wait, I thought plain english was supposed to fix all our communication problems! Sorry, rant for a different thread )

What we (northeastern CT) call Woods Fires are the ideal place for these ATVs -- usually poor access for pickups and such. The ATV's intrique me for being able to shuttle water in faster than backpack pumps...and more flexibily than laying out 1.5" forestry hose. These Woods Fires aren't moving along explosively like dry grass does -- being a bit heavier fules a small stream (like from a backpack pump) does a nice job knocking them down since they're not releasing BTUs as fast as a similiar fire load of grass. Plus they tend to need a good amount of overhaul because of fire that remains burning under leaves, behind twigs & branches, and up in punky trees that where shielded from the initial knockdown stream.

Thread Information