Thread: Heavy Rescue

Forum Member

Default Heavy Rescue

What is the preference of heavy rescues for a rural department just branching into auto extrication, EMS, RIT, Farm Rescue. We have a "rescue" on a 1500 Chevy Pickup chassis but we are officially out of room. We have a hole 10 square feet on the floor left and then we wont be able to reach our Cascasd Bottles.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It's a Priority 2 truck so it would basically be a wasted application. DHS even says there won't be another P2 truck awarded. Priority 1 trucks outscore Priority 2 trucks in the computer scoring and there are too many P1s to even begin to think a P2 will make it. Last one awarded was the one I got for my department in 2002. It wouldn't have happened in any of the later years, too many vehicle apps after that. Folks went nuts when it hit $750 million in funding.

Rescues are only P1 for Urban departments. Suburban and Rural have to get creative and incorporate rescue features into P1 trucks to solve the problem.

Sorry to be the bearer of not so good news, but I figured I might as well keep you from doing something that won't happen. This way you can put in a project that has a better chance.

- Brian

Forum Member

Some one had to do it. LOL. What would be a priority one truck? Would it make more sense to go with a new roof saw, lifting air bags, portables for every firefighter, and something else along those lines?

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Pumper, Tanker, Brush/Quick Attack. 75' and shorter Quint is eligible as a P1 but I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Portable radios are limited in the application to 1 per seat on apparatus, and in practice 1 per two seats on apparatus.

Air bags as part of a rescue equipment packaged with training if needed is a focused application. Roof saw would cost less than matching on most projects, so it would be a liability.

Forum Member

what would be the chance of a like a compressor station to fill our portable cascade unit?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

A whole lot better than a truck. Trucks are 1 in 10 shot, equipment 1 in 3.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some times miracles do happen. At the workshop our FPS announced that 3 departments (in the region) had recieved P2 vehicles. 2 were for rescues and 1 fire boat. A P2 rescue would be for a suburban or rural, the fire boat would be rural. This did not sit well with the departments that had been rejected for P1 vehicles.

As Brian stated, it's such an extremely long shot that it would be a wasted application.

Forum Member

Would it help if we would use it as a truck that could help multiple depts such as a RIT truck for our MABAS division, portable command post, rehab at large incidents, mva's, etc? or is it just a lost cause that we have to come up with our own funding for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'm surprised to hear that Bugle, nearly every FPS I talk to said there haven't been any in years. I would say that's a real big set of miracles. The folks reviewing those apps must have gotten the biggest jelly donuts that morning, and the computer must have gotten some new RAM to make it happy. Either that or it was a Palm application which is why they got through.

As much M/A benefits you could throw at it, if no one ever reads it, the research did you no good. We're not at the point that enough P1's have been funding to even say it's a good shot. Equipment needs over vehicle unless your whole fleet is 20+ years old. Equipment taken care of, then fire away at the truck since you have nothing to lose. But use 15 y/o PPE for another year hoping for a unicorn? Just plain dangerous in my book.

Forum Member

Default A few thoughts

Vehicles are a long shot; as you have read. Take a look at your gear; is everyone's up to current NFPA standard; are your SCBA's up to NFPA 1981/2002-I believe thats the standard?
    Thats the route I would go; get everyone new gear, scba's and yes even radios( Same rule for radios & scba's: 1 per riding position per front line fire apparatus). With regards to radios talk about the MABAS Advocacy Statement-goes to interoperability. These documents spell out what radios are needed and their uses.
    THe whole idea of program is spelled out in first couple of paragraphs of Program Guidance; to enhance the safety of firefighters and public by providing funds to meet departments firefighting and emergency response needs and support departments who lack tools and resources to more effectively protect health and safety of their personnel for response to fires and all other hazards.

Brian, onebugle or anyone correct me if I am wrong; but you could include the tools necessary to function as a Rapid Intervention Company following the thought that when responding under M.A.B.A.S(mutual aid) you are called upon to function in that capacity and you currently do not have equipement to do so?

Bottom line; like Brian indicated; make sure everything else is in good shape before a vehicle-unless you have 20yr old farm tanker with 100K; then you might have a chance

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yes, you can include RIT equipment, mainly a RIT SCBA pack. Since the rest of the tools are mainly stuff found in other spots on the truck other items may drag the request down. TIC is about the only other thing I'd stick in if the situation is merited.

Forum Member

Tell me again, is the Fire Act grant about getting things you want, or things you need?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Depends on your perspective. For example...

While standing in the CraftsMAN section of Sears the question arises: If I want a new table saw really badly, does it become a need?

MembersZone Subscriber

Brian,

Believe me a I was shocked when the FPS made that comment on P2 vehicles. I haven'y heard of any one in our state recieving such vehicles, but I guess the gremlins were definately on some ones side.

The other issue with the RIT equipment is you need to address the training component. What I've seen so far within training and equipment there are a number of questions that address training. Ex. Is the dept. trained? Is training being asked for? etc. (not the full questions just going of memory that has been going since 0430).

Forum Member

Brian,

Had very same discussion with my wife- I have a craftsman bob vila tractor, so of course I need the bumper-to protect the front and the aerorator to keep the lawn looking good......

I guess I get the deal w/small tools however if need was there

Thread Information