Forum Member

Default For sister and brother, a night of terror

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NIAGARA COUNTY SHERIFF THOMAS A. BEILEIN: 'My opinion - they are very lucky to be alive.'

By NANCY A. FISCHER
    NEWS NIAGARA BUREAU
    3/8/2006

Joseph S. Holka is accused of raping a girl and knifing a boy in their Wheatfield home.

WHEATFIELD - Andrew Swanson was driving home from seeing his fiancee early Tuesday when he was flagged down by a 16-year-old girl, wrapped in a blanket, and her 12-year-old brother, bleeding from a gash in his throat.
    The two begged Swanson to drive them away - fast.

They also asked him to call the police.

"Both just wanted to get away," Swanson recalled.

The brother and sister told Niagara County sheriff's deputies that a 21-year-old man, an acquaintance, had spent Monday night terrorizing them in their River Road home. The man, deputies said, held them at knifepoint for nearly three hours, raped the girl and cut the boy's throat when he tried to escape.

Both found their chance, eventually, and managed to escape, getting Swanson's attention as he drove near their home. As the two were sped away to safety, authorities said, their captor burned down their house.

"My opinion - they are very lucky to be alive," Niagara County Sheriff Thomas A. Beilein said.

The Buffalo News is not identifying the victims.

Joseph S. Holka of River Road was found a short time later, in his home, in bed. Holka fought with deputies and had to be maced during his arrest, witnesses at the arrest scene said.

Wheatfield Town Justice John J. Mattio ordered Holka held after not posting $75,000 bail on felony charges of robbery, burglary, rape, criminal sexual assault and arson. Holka pleaded not guilty and was sent to Niagara County Jail.

Police in North Tonawanda said they are familiar with Holka, who was arrested most recently last August and charged with felony criminal sale of a controlled substance.

In that case, Holka is accused of stealing a doctor's prescription pad and forging prescriptions for the painkiller hydrocodone, North Tonawanda Detective Capt. William Hall said.

That case is pending, Hall said.

Holka has been living for the last few weeks in an apartment house on River Road and, before that, with his father, Douglas, in North Tonawanda, the detective said.

Beilein would not say what might have motivated the attack.

A teenage girl who described herself as the "best friend" of the female victim said Holka had become acquainted with the girl several weeks ago and had been calling her "cute." She said a friend of the girl's family had told Holka recently to stay away from the girl.

"I was crying this morning," said the friend. "This must have been so tough."

The sheriff said Holka, armed with a knife, broke into the house about 10:30 p.m. Monday.

A neighbor said the mother of the two was out with her boyfriend for the evening in Niagara Falls.

Holka threatened to kill their mother and burn down the house, Beilein said. He stole a small amount of change and made the 12-year-old boy watch as he raped the girl, then cut the boy on his neck as he was trying to run out of the garage, deputies said.

Beilein called the cut to the boy "more than a superficial wound, but not life-threatening." He said both siblings were treated at local hospitals and later released.

Swanson said the boy was bleeding and visibly shaken when he got into his car shortly after 1 a.m. Tuesday, "crying so hard that he couldn't form complete sentences." The girl remained very calm, he said. Both children broke down after deputies arrived.

Swanson said the incident left him shaken.

"I'm still trying to catch my breath," he said. "It was just like a dream."

Holka's attorney, Michael P. Stuermer, said his client has lived in North Tonawanda for most of his life. He said Holka was the father of a baby, born last month.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in Wheatfield Town Court.

e-mail: nfischer@buffnews.com
    The investigation is ongoing, I will attempt to post more as info is released to the media.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

May he rot in he!! because he sure wont make it long in prison.

MembersZone Subscriber

additional info, the week prior the house two doors down was burned to the ground in a suspected robbery/arson, he is the one suspected in this fire as well, the family at this home was on vacation at the time.
    getzville fire
    station #2 "THE GHETTO"

JUST A CRUSTY BLACK HAT AND LOVING IT
    FFII/ EMT-B

FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

http://www.getzvillefire.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevbuffalo
    additional info, the week prior the house two doors down was burned to the ground in a suspected robbery/arson, he is the one suspected in this fire as well, the family at this home was on vacation at the time.
    Where did you get this information?
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2Capt
    Where did you get this information?
    Color me curious as well.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

MembersZone Subscriber

some county mountie buddies from niag county, there was also mention on one of the locals news channels the night the first house caught fire that it was under investigation for being suspicious.
    getzville fire
    station #2 "THE GHETTO"

FFII/ EMT-B

FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

kevbuffalo,

How long have you been on Getzville???

My dad was on Ellicott Creek for 8 years and he is good friends with 1 or 2 guys from your dept.

We've since moved away.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

ive been with getzville just about 3 years now
    getzville fire
    station #2 "THE GHETTO"

FFII/ EMT-B

FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Default Rape and arson suspect in court on drug charge

Some related information.

Rape and arson suspect in court on drug charge

3/17/2006

NORTH TONAWANDA - The Wheatfield man who is accused of rape, arson, burglary and assault with a deadly weapon for terrorizing a brother and sister in their home, faced felony drug charges Thursday in North Tonawanda City Court.
    Joseph S. Holka, 21, formerly of North Tonawanda, was arrested in August and accused of stealing a prescription pad from a doctor's office at DeGraff Memorial Hospital and forging prescriptions for hydrocodone, which he intended to sell, authorities said.

He was charged with felony criminal possession of a controlled substance, felony criminal sale of a controlled substance and criminal possession of stolen property.

Holka is in Niagara County Jail on $75,000 bail, after being charged March 7 with forcing his way into a home and raping a 16-year-old girl several times, slashing her 12-year-old brother's throat and then burning their house to the ground after the children escaped.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...17/4071833.asp
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

Default Attorney withdraws from rape, slashing case

3/29/2006

LOCKPORT - Joseph S. Holka, charged with raping a 16-year-old girl, slashing her brother's throat and burning down their house March 6, lost his attorney Tuesday.
    In a brief Niagara County Court appearance, District Attorney Matthew J. Murphy III told Judge Peter L. Broderick Sr. that Michael P. Stuermer, who had represented Holka at his arraignment last week, had sent him a letter saying he was withdrawing from the case because Holka's family never had formally retained him.

Assistant Public Defender David Farrugia told Broderick that Holka, 21, of River Road, Wheatfield, qualified for public defender services and now will be represented by that staff. A pretrial hearing was set for May 17.

Holka, facing a 16-count indictment accusing him of rape, sexual abuse, burglary, robbery, assault, weapons possession and arson, is being held on $150,000 bail.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...29/7071338.asp
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

I hope his roomate is 6'11" and named Bubba!!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

Here is another update on the case:

Holka fails to get plea deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Suspected rapist to face trial

By THOMAS J. PROHASKA
    NEWS NIAGARA BUREAU
    8/30/2006

LOCKPORT - A possible plea bargain for alleged rapist and arsonist Joseph S. Holka fell through Tuesday.
    Holka was slated for an appearance in Niagara County Court.

The 16-year-old girl he allegedly raped March 6 and her younger brother, whose throat Holka allegedly slashed after the rape, both attended the session, the first time they had come to Niagara County Court in the case.

The girl broke into tears when she saw Holka, and the defendant was asked to turn his face to the wall to avoid the chance of making eye contact with her as she walked to a seat. But when court convened, it became obvious there was no deal to be made.

"It looks as if we are heading to trial on Sept. 18," Assistant District Attorney Caroline A. Wojtaszek told Judge Peter L. Broderick Sr.

She wouldn't confirm there had been a plea offer, but she said Tuesday was Holka's last chance to plead guilty. Defense attorney Michael J. Violante left before he could be interviewed.

Holka, 21, of River Road, faces up to 50 years in prison if convicted of the rape, the assault and burning down the victims' River Road home.

Prosecutors want to try him before the same jury on charges of torching a house two doors away on Feb. 26. Broderick has yet to rule on that request.

e-mail:
    tprohaska@buffnews.com

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...30/1022541.asp
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Forum Member

He is going to get a knee drop the the skull when he gets to prision.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Default Update

Holka admits rape, assault of Wheatfield siblings
    By THOMAS J. PROHASKA
    NEWS NIAGARA BUREAU
    10/17/2006

LOCKPORT - A Wheatfield man admitted Monday that he raped a 16-year-old girl and slashed her 12-year-old brother's throat earlier this year.
    The guilty pleas came as a pool of prospective jurors was waiting to be interviewed for the trial of Joseph S. Holka, 21, of River Road. Holka admitted to first-degree rape and second-degree assault, without elaborating beyond the legal language of the indictment that accused him of invading the River Road home of the victims on the night of March 6, raping the girl, knifing the boy and setting the house on fire.

Assistant District Attorney Caroline A. Wojtaszek said the plea offer Holka accepted was the same one he had spurned twice before, on Aug. 29 and last Wednesday. "We never backed down," Wojtaszek said. "Some defendants just need to face the reality they're going to spend significant time in jail."

Under terms of the plea bargain, Niagara County Judge Peter L. Broderick Sr. will sentence Holka to 25 to 30 years.

The heaviest combined sentence allowed for the two crimes to which Holka pleaded guilty is 32 years. Sentencing is scheduled for Dec. 13.

Wojtaszek said the plea deal also covered a Feb. 26 arson at another River Road home, which was to have been part of the trial that would have begun Monday. It also scrubs a possible future trial on charges that Holka stole and forged prescription drug forms from a North Tonawanda clinic in August 2005.

Holka faced up to 50 years in prison if he had been convicted as charged under the original indictment.

Assistant Public Defender Matthew P. Pynn declined to comment when asked if he saw any chance Holka could have been acquitted.

"I think it was just a matter of him thinking about it . .," Pynn said. "Maybe he was [hoping for a better deal], but I think it was just getting his mind around the amount of time he has to serve."

Wojtaszek said of Holka, "His family had tried to convince him to take the plea. We got word pretty much first thing [Monday morning]."

She said the victims' parents approved of the plea deal "because they didn't want to put their kids through this [trial]."

Holka's family was on hand Monday, and the entry of the plea was delayed long enough to give the victims' family time to drive in from Wheatfield to witness it.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...17/1069416.asp

A just ending to this case! Although I would have loved to see this scumbag get more!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

As long as he serves ALL OF IT. Unlike some we've known.....
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Lew capt. my Dad told me about this . Thanks for the updates . Are you with upper or lower. I am from lewiston . Stationed in Va.
    Eric Kloosterman
    When in doubt act stupid

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyresquid
    Lew capt. my Dad told me about this . Thanks for the updates . Are you with upper or lower. I am from lewiston . Stationed in Va.
    Above the hill, otherwise known as Colonial Village. Lewiston #2
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Thread Information