MembersZone Subscriber

Default PPE Grant Help Needed

Hello, It's that time of year again. I was wondering if anyone could share a Funded PPE grant. We are going to try for a PPE Grant this year. Looking for some ideas on how to write a good one. Please Email me at hazmatwmd @verizon.net Thanks again.

Forum Member

Default echo help

I am too looking for some help on PPE. I have looked a www.firegraphics.org it was helpful. I have a question on helmets. I was under the impression that goggles are nfpa standards. Have they changed that or can it be goggles or shields. any help via this post, or my email feel free. We have attempted funding through this grant on a number of ocassions, without success. I am looking to do away with the goose egg this year.

MembersZone Subscriber

hazmatwmd1 - we were sucessful for PPE in '05 - our grant is one of the samples that Brian is hosting on http://www.firegraphics.org
    You can find it here: http://www.firegraphics.org/Grants/FVFD2005.htm

Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions on it specifically.

blk1420 - it is my understanding that a helmet with a face shield meets NFPA 1971 (Structural PPE) however a Face Shield is considered "Face Protection" and not "Eye Protection" which is a requirment of NFPA 1500 (Fire Department OSHA)

If you want to meet both standards buy goggles (or buy face shields and use safety glasses), if you only want to meet 1971 then buy face shields. If you want neither then buy borkes.

Bottom line - the amount of protection & compliance is up to your department and what your folks want to wear.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

I am also doing a PPE grant this year. I got ahold of Kurt over at Chief Grants. He has been a huge help to me. He is out of town for a few days now but its worth your time to shoot him an email. But be prepaired to work. I learned more about grants in one phone call with him then I did in a year of reading stuff online.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default AFG Question

I came across a question on this years grant that I'm not sure how to answer or if how I answer will hurt or help us. In this grant we are asking for structural PPE. The question asks if this PPE will be used for wildland firefighting. The honest answer is "yes". We do not have the luxury of having seperate wildland PPE. If I answer "yes" will it hurt us since it is structural PPE, or are they looking to see if it will be used in other applications to help the department. Thanks for your input.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The honest answer is "yes".
    Sounds like you answered your own question to me.

If you answer no, then they might think that you'll fight wildland with nothing on if you say you don't have wildland PPE. That makes it the wrong project for the problem then. The metric being measured there might be they are gauging if wildland PPE needs to be given a higher priority in order to save the wear on structural for departments that need both, or are asking for both. I have several departments I'm working with that are going for both, because the assessment I performed with them says they need them both.

Wander over to my web site (links above, thanks for throwing that out there boys) and follow the links or send me an email. There's someone in IL that can help you get pointed in the right direction for assistance if you need it.

- Brian

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hazmatwmd1
    Hello, It's that time of year again. I was wondering if anyone could share a Funded PPE grant. We are going to try for a PPE Grant this year. Looking for some ideas on how to write a good one. Please Email me at hazmatwmd @verizon.net Thanks again.
    Emailed you my 2003 narrative which was funded.
    Anyone else want a copy?
    Send me an email and i'll whip it over to ya.

jeremy
    bigj164019
    Jeremy (bigj164019) - FireFighter-I/Paramedic
    Fraternal Order of Paramedics Society
    Member Firehouse.com I.A.C.O.J. EMS Bureau

"Live for today, because yesterdays are over, and tomorrows may never come"!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rolandthunder
    I am also doing a PPE grant this year. I got ahold of Kurt over at Chief Grants. He has been a huge help to me. He is out of town for a few days now but its worth your time to shoot him an email. But be prepaired to work. I learned more about grants in one phone call with him then I did in a year of reading stuff online.

As he said folks, wander to my website ( look in the top right corner of this page) shoot me an email. I can help a couple dozen more of you this year but, don't delay. My books are filling fast and time is running out. I got 95 funded last year and most were PPE requests and about 11-12 trucks so I am flush with examples.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

You didn't answer the question of whether answering that you would use structural in wildland would be a bad thing or not.

I would think maybe yes it would hurt, but I'll wait for you gurus to chime in.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It would let them know that maybe wildland PPE needs a higher priority. $500 per set versus $2K and it's a lot less strain on the people wearing it. Structural on wildland fires sucks, been there.

Forum Member

Yeah,
    we usually wear only our pants/boots when we need protection.
    Then again, most of our brush fires are relatively flat and we don't have a lot of heavily forested areas to fight in.
    Grass fires mostly.

Thread Information