Forum Member

Question Agavegrove...got a question

hey man, i saw in a post that you are from San Angelo, Texas. I have seen that your department is testing soon...is that true? also, do you have any idea how many ya'll are hiring? i am hoping to get some time off so that i can go down there to test..i believe it is on the 25th of this month, no? is there any way that you could get me some more info on your department? if so, i would really appreciate it.

thanks for any info.

medicBear

Forum Member

I know they're testing in March. Not sure the exact day. The 25th sounds right because they always do it on a Saturday. I could go on and on about the hiring process so if you have any questions or need anything explained just let me know. Here's a rundown:

Is your application in? I don't know when the cut off deadline for apps is. But the sooner the better. Tie scores on the written are broken by who gets their app in sooner.

Written is 90 questions and you have 2-2.5 hours. They grade it on the spot.
    If you make the first cut you'll get a letter telling you when to show up for the physical agility.

Physical agility is 8 minutes long job-related test. There's more to go into on that.... The hiring process continues from there.

Mandatory things: show up to everything early. Don't get any moving violations. Keep your nose clean.

They're probably going to hire 7-10. The last few hiring processes the chief has had to go to the bottom of the list so even if you're number 60 you may have a shot.

Are you a paramedic with the State of Texas?

Department wise: we have 3 shifts, 8 stations. The work schedule is like this:
    24 on - 24 off - on - 48 off - on - 24 off - on - 96 off. Still works out to 10 days a month like 24-48. The department is under civil service law. We're also union IAFF Local 886. Equipment wise... we have 4 full time ambulances, 1 quint w/ 75 ft aerial, 1 rescue truck, 1 grass truck, and 7 pumpers.

If you can make it down here, do it. It's a good department to start out at. They pay you with benefits all the time you're in rookie school.

There's more I could go on about but I'll stop here. Hope this helps.
    Alan

Forum Member

Talking thanks!

hey thanks alot man...you have been very helpful. just one more though, does your department test annually, or just when spots are open to fill? i have been looking more and more ever since i heard ya'll were testing, but there is no way around my job now to get down there that weekend. i really wish that i could, but im so busy over the next few weeks i am not going to be able to make it down there for this years test. maybe ill just turn in an application for next years test since you can do so year-round and ill have a good tie-breaker date. anyways, let me know if ya'll test annually or not. thanks for everything brother.

MedicBear

Forum Member

They test as positions are needed which is *at least* 2x a year. So you can probably bet they'll have a test by next April. Go ahead and get your application in, but do it after this upcoming test so that HR doesn't think you're a late applicant. That will give you a tiebreaker edge. Good luck.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. I know helpful it is trying to get on somewhere and getting as much information as possible.

Forum Member

Exclamation great news!

hey man...i just looked at my PTO for this year and i have plenty to take a trip down that way in a few weeks. i'll have to make sure that it goes through and all with my supervisor, but it shouldn't be problem. maybe you can help me out a little bit more; if i come down a night early or so, maybe if you're not too busy you could give me a station tour or something. i would like to get to know a little more about your department and all. if you are up for it i would really appreciate it. if you get a chance in the next little bit email me so we can talk more. it would mean alot. thanks again.

medicbear

bearh@firehousemail.com
    Last edited by medicbear14; 03-12-2006 at 12:27 AM.

Thread Information