Forum Member

Default Narrative Headings

Does your narrative need to have headings for each section, such as project, cost benefit, etc, or can it just be laid out like a normal request/letter? Thanks for any help.

J

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'm hurt, no one read my article in the MemberZone.

Just kidding. I'm not hurt that no one read it. Anywho, always use the headings as detailed in the PG. That's exactly how the scoresheet is laid out, so in the 6-10 minutes that the reviewers have to score your app, if you don't use the headings and they miss something they won't look for it and will score your app poorly. With the headings they can zip right to that section.

Using them also prevents you from putting the wrong info in the sections. Check out the DHS Powerpoint from the workshops on their web site (www.firegrantsupport.com). Print out in handout format slides 59-66. They details exactly what they're looking for in each narrative section. DO NOT make stuff up as you go along, you will not be rewarded for creativity.

Good luck - Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Among the benefits from Kurt's seminar (and i'm sure Brian does it also) is having a narrative handed to us and given 6 minutes to determine whether we would offer funding or not. That has made me practice at getting "tighter" in my wording and content. It's amazing how little time the peer review panel has to work and how much they get done.
    earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    I'm hurt, no one read my article in the MemberZone.

Just kidding. I'm not hurt that no one read it. Anywho, always use the headings as detailed in the PG. That's exactly how the scoresheet is laid out, so in the 6-10 minutes that the reviewers have to score your app, if you don't use the headings and they miss something they won't look for it and will score your app poorly. With the headings they can zip right to that section.

Using them also prevents you from putting the wrong info in the sections. Check out the DHS Powerpoint from the workshops on their web site (www.firegrantsupport.com). Print out in handout format slides 59-66. They details exactly what they're looking for in each narrative section. DO NOT make stuff up as you go along, you will not be rewarded for creativity.

Good luck - Brian
    I read your article, Brian. And as usual, right on!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thanks Alana, at least I know it got 1 read then.

Reminds me I guess I ought to get #4 on the way. (He says as if he actually has had free time, or will before April 8th)

Forum Member

I'd love to read the article! I'm not a full member but it sounds like I need to be. Where in the members zone is your article? Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have have read all 3 articles. Needed something to read while in the library.
    Last edited by onebugle; 03-09-2006 at 10:46 AM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thanks Bugle. I'm honored you read it in that 'special place" instead of having by the bedside to get to sleep when C-SPAN doesn't do the trick.

Man, I had to search for my own stuff. Here's the link to my bio and the Archive list from 2005 since that's when they were put up there.

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con...splayYear=2005

Thread Information