Forum Member

Question $$$ on Quints and Aerials?

One for the pro's. What has been seen as a top $$$ for Quints and Aerials? And do Aerials fare better than Quints? I know justification has a lot to do with it but do they also look at volume of trucks awarded versus cost of of the trucks awarded? Examples- Straight Aerials are less in cost than a Quint in most cases. So they can award more straight trucks than Quints. On the other hand Quints can serve more of a multi purpose roll than a straight truck so can they be considered the better way to go? Just looking for some input.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Depends on your situation in your district. If a quint would be a waste of money because you have engines all over the place, then no need for the extra dough. Otherwise, quint has more benefit for the cost.

It also depends on your classification, staffing, call volume, tall buildings, etc, etc. if the numbers aren't there then neither will your app during Peer Review.

MembersZone Subscriber

So what are the Numbers, what would be considered high call volume for a rural department. My department did almost 200 runs last year, A lot for a rural town of 4500. I am I right or is that a really low number. We also have 11 buildings that are four stories or larger, is that a lot for a rural department.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Somewhat right, somewhat wrong. Wrong in that 200 runs for 4500 people is a low number, that's the high one, so is the 11 occupied 4+ story buildings.

But right in the part about thinking you ought to look at another project unless you don't need anything else. If you wouldn't apply otherwise, might as well go for it. The odds are very against but they are never a guaranteed denial. Just likely.

Thread Information