Forum Member

Angry Can you believe this?????????

I just got a call from our truck LT. He told me that our engine has a blown head gasket , But that is not the best part......The powers to be have forced it back in service. They want us to responde it to fires only. I think they are crazy. Our only other engine is our tanker/pumper and it only holds 3 firefighters that includes the driver. We are not going to use this truck until it is repaired. They do not plan in haveing it repaired until june. I am tierd of these guys who sit at home and listen to us do all the work and put our lives on the line. There has to be a way to get this truck repaired sooner. Any suggestions??????????????????
    Stay Safe and live long

Forum Member

Real Einstiens your "powers". Just how long do they think that thing will run like that?

Whats the deal with waiting till June, money trouble?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sfdtim11
    I just got a call from our truck LT. He told me that our engine has a blown head gasket , But that is not the best part......The powers to be have forced it back in service. They want us to responde it to fires only. I think they are crazy. Our only other engine is our tanker/pumper and it only holds 3 firefighters that includes the driver. We are not going to use this truck until it is repaired. They do not plan in haveing it repaired until june. I am tierd of these guys who sit at home and listen to us do all the work and put our lives on the line. There has to be a way to get this truck repaired sooner. Any suggestions??????????????????
    Refuse to take an unsafe apparatus. Imagine you are in fighting the fire and the Engine shoots craps and stops...no more water. Document this in an entry in the Company journal. Call the Union. Call the local city councilman or whomever is the local political person who represents the area.

I hope they realize if too much coolant gets into the crankcase or it leaks out they will have to repair more than just a gasket.

Don't let them place you in danger...period

FTM-PTB
    Last edited by FFFRED; 03-09-2006 at 09:57 PM.

Forum Member

Angry

We dont plan on taking this truck to any calls at all. We are a Vol. fire Co. so no union. We have these wonderful comissioners that are about 90 yrs old and think they know it all. What kind of actions can be taken against them. Oh yeah its not money trouble at all. They say that they dont want to mess up there oil change rotation. Give me a break,,,, they will be buying a new engine if we run it like it is......
    Stay Safe and live long

Forum Member

Check your Bi Laws. There may not be much you can do right now, concerning the commissioners, and ousting them. but you can get this problem out into the public eyes, make it be known that the commissioners that they voted in are not properly protecting the citizens. When a district runs the firehouse instead of the members, problems like this can arise, and sometimes there is no easy fix. Good luck.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfdtim11
    We dont plan on taking this truck to any calls at all. We are a Vol. fire Co. so no union. We have these wonderful comissioners that are about 90 yrs old and think they know it all. What kind of actions can be taken against them. Oh yeah its not money trouble at all. They say that they dont want to mess up there oil change rotation. Give me a break,,,, they will be buying a new engine if we run it like it is......

Oh my. If money isnt an issue, then there is absolutly no excues for not getting it repaired. And I have a little clue for them, the oil change rotation is already messed up. Water in your oil will do that. I would suggest you find a mechanic to "enlighten" your "powers" on just what a blown headgasket means. Its apperant they dont have a clue. You wil be lucky if that rig makes it to a repair shop under its own power.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default insane

Are the 90 year olds running this place eligable for a sanity hearing in the courtrooms? As a fire mechanic this apparatus would be at the shop NOW for repairs. This is, as others have said, a safety issue. How would the town leaders like a juicy lawsuit for reckless endangerment?

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs up Easy

Drop all coolant out, drop all oil out. Rev it until it goes "Bang".

Problem now out of your hands

Just in case we have the usual non humorites(have I just made up a new word?) This advice is to be taken as a "Funny" a "Jest" not literally--just as you now have "Stop " written at the top of rescue Ladders to stop you climbing cartoon style in thin air--or the warning sign--"Rescue Ropes are to be attached to something".
    Last edited by 2andfrom; 03-10-2006 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Second thought

Forum Member

Because, after all 2andFrom...

Had you been serious you would have included the step that you save the oil and coolant to pour back in after said bang, lest you be accussed of running a vehicle without either.

Permanently Removed

These stories crack me up. And what do I say- Call the news media. They love a good juicy story like this and make the "powers" explain their reason on camera and explain why the local fire service is on the fritz.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Wink Modification Mk2

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    Because, after all 2andFrom...

Had you been serious you would have included the step that you save the oil and coolant to pour back in after said bang, lest you be accussed of running a vehicle without either.

Good idea--BUT--Modification Mk2--pour said coolant and oil on floor underneath wrecked engine? Looks more authentic--better yet drop someone elses nametag into pool of liquid.

Any more refinements?

Forum Member

better yet drop someone elses nametag into pool of liquid.

I'd say a strategic smudge on the Chief's shirt, but I guess the beef here is with the Trustees

Forum Member

Yes, and in all seriousness...I just can't fathom situations like this to give advice. If it needs repairs, and you have the money, you get it fixed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    Drop all coolant out, drop all oil out. Rev it until it goes "Bang".

Problem now out of your hands
    ....this was going to be my advice .........pull it out on the approach and put a brick on the accelerator.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information