Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Default Ms. Inmate/Firefighter dies fighting fire

From http://www.wtva.com/

Mississippi Prison Inmate Dies Fighting House Fire, Another Injured

A state penitentiary inmate died yesterday while helping fight a house fire off Mississippi Highway 32 in Sunflower County.

County Coroner Doug Card says 40 year old Michael Davenport was serving a life sentence for murder from Hinds County.

Davenport was a member of the Mississippi State Penitentiary's inmate volunteer fire department.

Card said an autopsy has been ordered but Davenport apparently died of smoke inhalation.

He said the inmate died while inside the home.

Card said the residence was about two miles from the gate of the Parchman prison, but he did not know who owned the home.

All occupants of the home were able to escape safely.

Card said another inmate, 47-year-old Gary Lambert, broke a leg after falling off a ladder while fighting the fire.

Lambert is serving a life sentence for murder handed down in 1983 in Covington County.

He was treated at Sunflower County Hospital.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Well now, don't that beat all. I've never heard of using inmates in a fire department before. That not withstanding, any word on why he died of smoke inhilation? Where was his PPE? Ya I know. Those are the burning questions here.

Also, apparently the penitentiary fire station does mutual aid calls. Seems rather strange under the circumstances.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Well now, don't that beat all. I've never heard of using inmates in a fire department before. That not withstanding, any word on why he died of smoke inhilation? Where was his PPE? Ya I know. Those are the burning questions here.

Also, apparently the penitentiary fire station does mutual aid calls. Seems rather strange under the circumstances.

Did you notice that he was in for murder?

Somehow I get the feeling this will be a hush-hush investigation.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

wait, huh?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

San Quentin prison has a FD staffed with inmates. I have seen them on fires outside the gate.

Forum Member

i live in warren county, mississippi, and about an hour away from the mississippi state penitintiary. even though i have lived in mississippi all my life i never knew that the prison had a vol fire dept. i am on a vol fire dept. we are a part of a five vol department county with a paid department inside of the city. however, ii would feel just a lil worried if i was in the area of the prison fighting a fire and got mutual aid from prisioners, mostly the ones in for murder. not saying they would do anything to harm anyone, but would they try and make a run???? how much training do they recieve i wonder? i am going to look into this subject and see what all i can find out about their fire program.

stay safe everyone

MembersZone Subscriber

We use inmate teams for big wildland fires in California - doing the real grunt work of clearing fire lines. But for structure fires? That just seems wrong to me. Aren't firefighters supposed to be one of the most trusted professions there is? What about salvage operations, removing people's most prized posessions from their houses - would you want convicts doing that?

But on the other hand... I suppose they are searched and couldn't really steal stuff and take it back to prison with them. And as far as "rehabilitation", it *is* learning an important skill and doing something useful for the community.

I guess I'm split on this one after all.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Forum Member

Rest In Peace, BROTHER. . .

CulkinVFD said it right. I did note right at the beginning, that the inmate was in for murder. Not saying that such an individual would not do his best - that judgement is not mine to make. However, I do have the concern that he might try to run.

Also as Baileydonk is alluding to regarding rehab and all. I would hazard a guess that the men on the penititentary dept are considered trustworthy - or at least I would hope so. By that I mean that within the system they are proving to be reliable to some extent. Maybe being in the dept is a form of reward for good behaviour?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

If that is THEIR system (using inmates)so be it. I hope they are not deprived of proper equipment because they are inmates. In my eyes a firefighter is a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

I knew that California used inmate teams, but only for brush fires, and I thought it was only people in for non-violent crimes. I assume they must have vetted these people, but letting 2 guys who are in for murder out of jail to fight a fire is pretty surprising. I always figured the prisons in the South would be much stricter than this. I'll bet the average Mississipi citizen didn't know about this program.

Nevertheless, he died trying to help someone else, so RIP brother.

That not withstanding, any word on why he died of smoke inhilation? Where was his PPE?
    from the article on the front page, he was on the 2nd floor of a structure, and got disoriented. I'm guessing he ended up running out of air before he was able to get out, which resulted in him removing his mask and inhaling the smoke.

for the record, even though he might have done some bad things, he gave his life trying to help someone else, and I have no quams at all saying REST IN PEACE TO A BROTHER FIREFIGHTER.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

I have no quams at all saying REST IN PEACE TO A BROTHER FIREFIGHTER.
    And I echo those sentiments. No matter his past.

And I echo those sentiments. No matter his past.
    He did give his all, criminal or not.
    Rest In Peace............

Forum Member

Culkin I'm from MS to and I know for a fact these guys are highly trained. They go through the 1001 and 2 classes at the State Academy and some take more classes than that. I have personal trained with some of them at the Academy and would follow them anywhere.

I worked for 2 cities in Mississippi before getting hired in Memphis and volunteered for another for several years after getting hired here. The southern city limits of Memphis are the same as the TN/MS state line.

Anyway,

I know that inmates at Parchman at some point recieve training through the state academy. They attend NFPA 1001 and may take other "extra curricular" training throughout their service on the fire department.

Mississippi does not use ISO, they have their own state rating bureau. The fire department operates as a public department, so I would imagine that apparatus and equipment requirements would apply to them just like they would every other department in the state.

For all practical purposes they are equipped and function like a regular fire department, all the fireman are just in jail. Hell, its not so far off if you really think about it. I look at these ole firehouse walls, deal with some of these cantankerous chiefs, and feel institutionalized myself every now and then!
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 03-10-2006 at 03:45 PM.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

The Bible says "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends", much less a total stranger. Ironic that he was in prison for murder, then died serving others. Rest in peace brother.

As far as rehab in prison goes, the fact that this brother died trying to save someones home shows me that people can be rehabed.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Iranfromthezoo

I just wanted to tell you guys that most sheriff depts in MS run a prison vol. fire dept. they mainly will run on brush fires, they were here when he had a huge fire back in 2000, it was around 1,000 acre fire but in a neighborhood....Sunflower county (where parchman is) is not very big and it is also in the MS delta where poverty reigns, so free firefighting force you know they are going to get it....

Forum Member

the only reason i said i wasent to sure about havin an inmate at the fire was just a question to their training. now that i know they go through firefighter 1001 and 2 and some other training, then i would have no problem having them by my side. in my previous message i did bash them, and i appologize. well, all i can say is rest in peace. i am glad to see that those who have done wrong and are serving time for it are trying to turn their life around by choosing to be a firefighter. either way, prisioner or not, he is still a man like the rest of us. i just hope that God will give him a good place in heaven for trying to save people and property.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite
    for the record, even though he might have done some bad things, he gave his life trying to help someone else, and I have no quams at all saying REST IN PEACE TO A BROTHER FIREFIGHTER.
    I agree.......
    DixieFire53, Lt. E-12 FF/EMT-P, Local 272

Thread Information