MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Unhappy This One Just Sucks :(

Driver pulls over to assist at a single car MVA and....

Kindness takes his son's life Dad stopped to help at crash

By LISA LISLE, TORONTO SUN

At 5, he already loved hockey, construction

Justin Nerit, 5, died when his fatherís car was rear-ended on the Gardiner Expressway. His dad had pulled over to help a motorist who had been in an accident.
    Ed Nerit can't stop apologizing to his family.

Blaming himself for his 5-year-old son's death, the distraught dad has repeatedly told relatives that he was trying to do the right thing when he pulled over to help a fellow motorist on the Gardiner Expressway Wednesday night.

"He's a mess," said his niece, Alice Nerit, who was with him at the hospital when he said his final goodbye to his son, Justin. "He keeps saying, 'I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.' And I say, 'Sorry for what? It's not your fault.'"

Clutching Justin's teddy bear, Bear Nerit, at the hospital yesterday, Ed would only repeat how sorry he was and that he needed to be with Justin's brother, Ethan.

Ed, wife Josie and their two boys were visiting another relative in hospital Wednesday night and were returning home just before 8:30 p.m. when Ed spotted a Honda in the middle of the expressway. Police said the Honda had been in a single-car accident and the driver couldn't move it farther onto the shoulder.

Sgt. Brian Bowman said Ed passed the car and pulled "entirely onto the shoulder" about 40 metres ahead. He then got out of the car and walked back to the Honda to offer his help.

"The next thing he heard was a big bang," Alice said.

Bowman said the driver of a second Honda swerved to miss the first, which was partially in the left lane, and then likely over-corrected, slamming into the Nerit's car.

"If the driver had looked down the road, I believe he could have seen this accident and not have had to take evasive action," Bowman said, noting it was a straight stretch of the expressway.

Ethan, 7, was taken to Hospital for Sick Children and Josie was transported to St. Michael's hospital.

Justin, who had no vital signs, was immediately taken to St. Joseph's hospital and later transferred to the Hospital for Sick Children, where he was pronounced dead.

Grateful for the chance to say goodbye to her cousin, Alice described it as one of the most difficult tasks in her life.

"It was tough," she said. "(Ed) was crying and crying and hugging me. He just couldn't stop."

She said he kept saying: "I was just trying to help somebody."

Charges against the driver of the third vehicle are pending, and investigators are asking any witnesses to call police at 416-808-1900.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Default rubbernecking

Wether or not the person was rubbernecking or just plain not paying attention this is just wrong. I can't count the number of times I have been on the highways here where there is an accident and people have to look everywhere accept paying attention to their driving just to cause another wreck.It's as bad as those distracted by cell phone use, trying to put on makeup or doing something other than paying close attention to driving.

Forum Member

Unhappy

Why do bad things always happen to good people? And as IV said, why cant people just pay attention? I would guess that 75% of all MVCs are just people not paying attention to whats going on around them. I just dont get it.

What a sad story.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information