Forum Member

Default Leather Helmet repaint

I know there are plenty of threads on this but.... I recently had two New Yorkers repainted. ( My collection totals over 50) I sent each helmet to different people for repaints. I just recieved them both back this week. The first helmet was came back looking like it went under a rattle can. The advertised profesional repaint was less then stellar. The charge was $80 and I think a two year old could do a better job. I wont mention this persons name due to the fact they frequently post on the forums. The other helmet went to Signal 50 Industries in Connecticut. The cost was $90 a little higher then the other guy but well worth it. They did a phenomenal job, I dont think this helmet looked as good brand new out of the box. I was really blown away with the excellent job the fella at Signal 50 Industries did. As I send more of my helmets out for repaints I will keep folks updated. So far I think the majority will go to Signal 50 Industries. Does anybody know of a fella out of San Fran that repainted under the name Rotten helmets?

Leather Forever
    Cptn Dave Van Havoc

Leather Forever

Dave thanks for the compliments!

Stay Well, Stay Safe
    Matt Firestone
    Signal 50 Industries
    www.signal50.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cptn138
    I know there are plenty of threads on this but.... I recently had two New Yorkers repainted. ( My collection totals over 50)
    Leather Forever
    Cptn Dave Van Havoc
    Holy crap! 50 leather lids?

Sir, I tip my two leathers to you!

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Leather Forever

Captain Gonzo, I have seen his collection. Its pretty insane. He has some helmets dating back to the late 1800's. I recently did a restoration on a Olsen Brothers helmet for a collector from Japan whos collection totals over 115 leather helmets. I also did a pompier ladder for the same guy that came came from an early 1900's Boston Ladder Company. As soon as I get some pix I'll post them

Stay Well, Stay Safe
    Matt Firestone
    Signal 50 Industries
    www.signal50.com

Forum Member

There is a gentleman (actually a well known buff) who lives in Allentown, Pa. that has a helmet collection rumored to be well over 1000 (yes....one thousand) helmets from all over the world. Leather, tin, aluminum, plastics of all kinds, wood.....you name it he has it. I have taken touring buffs to his home to see his collection (res343cue and FDMHbozz most recently) and he starts out by asking you the country of your family's origin- he then shows you the helmet(s) from that country!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

That guys collection is amazing. He asked us a couple of times if we wanted to know the history of anything in his collection, and I was almost unable to speak because I was in such awe.
    -Bozz

Air Force Medic

Thread Information