Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Incentive program

I am starting work toward an incentive program for our volunteers. The idea: spend three hours at the station durring the week, get (for lack of beter tems) three fire bucks. While you are there you do some sort of training like watching one of the training videos you get an additional fire buck. Wash a rig on your own time one buck. Inventory and restock-one buck.
    Build a lift of say 20 items volunteers would like that would be useful on calls: jacket, leatherman, pelican flashlite, stethescope, duty boots, etc. Each item has a value and thosse bucks can be cashed in for the item of your choice.

Has anyone implemented a system like this? How has it worked as far as involvement and moral? Have your volunteers been receptive, or offended? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sounds like a good idea

A department near here has something simular. Basically the same rewards, but for completion of training course like FF 1 & 2, EMT, etc. I'm interested to see how it works out...
    LT/EMT Wright
    I A C O J
    LOXLEY WARRIORS
    All opinions expressed are solely of my personal opinion and in no way reflect those of my department. This is for those of you who use a large stick to stir excrement.

MembersZone Subscriber

I like the concept. Who's going to foot the bill? The department? Why not go towards paid-per-call or a point system that's tallied at the end of the year?

I'm not trying to discourage you (in fact, I really like the idea) just shooting some questions off the top of my head. I'd like to do something similiar.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCity4
    I like the concept. Who's going to foot the bill? The department? Why not go towards paid-per-call or a point system that's tallied at the end of the year?

I'm not trying to discourage you (in fact, I really like the idea) just shooting some questions off the top of my head. I'd like to do something similiar.
    We have a point system that pays eight bucks per call and is tallied and payed out every six months.

But some of the volunteers that go the extra mile, say staying the night at the main station and running calls, deserve duty boots, for example. We can't afford to buy everybody duty boots, but those that stay at the station and want to be in uniform deserve them. Hopefuly this will be a way to document and show they have been involved enough to get certain items. Hopefully this will show appreciation and add incentive and motivation.

as for the bill...the department foots it. With volunteership down we have to have some way to get people out of bed at night.

Forum Member

We have an incentive program at the my company. It is broken up quarterly. In each quarter, a member must complete 52 hours (4 hours a week) or make 15% of the calls.

The money for this is budgeted and we received a lot of support from our township.

For "awards", we have given out job shirts, dress uniform shoes, jackets, hats, T-shirts, etc.

The members have been quite receptive of the idea and we usually have a crew every night.

R.I.P K.Apuzzio 4/11/06 Fargo2722's Avatar

Default A no $$ incentive

Getting members to show up on a regular basis is going to continue to be an ongoing challenge in the volunteer fire service. Anything departments and townships are able to do financially to reimburse members for their ongoing participation is going to help. The idea mentioned above of getting a point is excellent. At my department we keep track of time put in in a similar credit type system. 1 call = 1 credit, attending one business meeting = 1 credit, and doing an hours worth of work either training, drills, work, etc. = 1 credit. If you do 1.3 hours worth of work you turn that time in and it's rounded up to 2 credits. For us 35 credits per quarter are required to maintain an active memebrship. That said we have a LOSAP program (that ties in to the credit system) and get $1 p/call.

This year our training officer is working on a new way to get members to show up for our department drills. He has posted a large list of everyones names and a list of all the drills for the year. When you attend a drill or training excercise it gets marked down where all can see it. While it's a simple premise no one wants to be the guy with no check marks next to his name, it also serves as a reminder for upcoming drills.

We are also considering doing this for certificates. Everyone has a member that took FF1 and then stopped going to class. Posting a list of basic classes and dates that you last took them I think could serve as a way to keep memebrs going to school or at least pushing them in that direction.

Sound familiar? Grade school teachers use the same principle giving out gold stars to kids, at least when i was in school. Often just seeing that star on the wall was a source of pride and feeling of accomplishment. Maybe those teachers were onto something.

stay safe,
    wpw

MembersZone Subscriber

Do any of you guys have an estimate on what the cost is per member per year/per quarter that something like this costs? I realize the differences in run volume, drills, etc will vary considerably from department to department. Do you budget, say $100 per year per member?

And for those that have such a system, have you seen any increase in either participation, cost of running the program or morale?
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

We have "Boot Drives" a couple of times a year.
    These net around $2000 each time.
    Those that work three boot drives get a uniform shirt with pins and patches, and pants.

We also are going "pay per call". $10 for all calls which are paid through our billing company. You will have to be both Certified and "active" to get paid.

We have a Firefighter of the Year program starting which is based on total call hours. The First, Second, and Third highest numbers get a Gift Cert. for gear worth $150, $100, and $50. The #1 gets his/her name engraved on the FF of the Year plaque.

All noncertified "rookies" get older turnout and the old modern yellow helmets until they become certified. Then they get new M.P. turnout and Traditional helmet with leather front. They are also presented their Badge. It's good for 10% to 100% discounts on food and merchandise around town.

Those that don't show up, and those that stop showing up, to meetings, training and calls go on inactive list. In addition to losing the $10 per call they lose the Badge and Handheld Radio and get a pager.
    (our handhelds are SWEEEET. They get Law Enforcement and are fun to listen in on if you're nosey)
    Inactive Members also can not vote on matters or in elections.

We have a good group. They try hard for the most part. Only a few bad eggs drag around and just "exist" on the rolls.

Forum Member

Our "point" system utilizes the 1% Louisiana Fire Insurance Collection Reimbursement. Each department in the state gets 1% of the fire insurance premuims collected in thier district each year from the insurance companies. For us it's usually between $26,000 and 28,000 a year.

Points awarded as such:
    Structure Fires - 2 pts.
    ASll other Fires - 1
    MVA - 1
    EMS -1
    Training Night - 2
    External or EMS Training w/ Certification - 3 points per 10 hours
    Work Session - 1

We take the total points earned by the members for the year and divide into total reimbursement to get point value. Usually $3.25-3.50 per point. No pints for an EMS run unless EMS certified. If on duty either as the shift career firefighter (they must volunteer in order to retain thier FT position), a volunteer working the weekday 8-5 position or as a volunteer working the relief shift (covering FT guys vacation, sick time, etc) you do not get points for runs or training during the shift.

Works well, though not everyone responds to this. No cost to us as the money is viewed as "extra".
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 04-07-2006 at 10:36 PM.

Thread Information