Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Looking for Vehicle Help

Applying for a Quick attack, and checking what they are looking for as a comprehensive driver/operator training program. Is this in house driver training, county EVOC and Pump Operator classes, or is it something more?

Forum Member

Default Firefighter/EMT-B

Go to AFG look under questions,
    Is there any difference in qualifying for a vehicle award this year with respect to training?
    If you request a vehicle, you must certify that personnel who will drive and operate the requested vehicle meet or exceed the national standards for drivers/operators (fire vehicles NFPA 1002, EMS DOT or KKK standards.)
    Plus:
    Medical clearance of any drivers NFPA 1500.

Forum Member

I 'd like some clarity on this as well...

FH Mag/.com Contributor

VFIS EVOC is considered the standard for driving the vehicle. If you own a vehicle of the type you're requesting or one larger, its more or less assumed you know how to get water and water out. If you have certified Instructors already in the department that can teach and issue CEs for attending, then you're covered. You do not need IFSAC Driver/Operator, all the curriculum has to do is comply with it. I'm a TX SFFMA Level II Instructor so I can teach everything I've completed at any volunteer FD in the state, including the EVOC and Pump Operations hours. And I can certify the training hours to the state that those in attendance completed the training. All of the training is based on the full IFSTA D/O course so it fits this requirement.

Of course if you want the whole course and it's not time or cost prohibitive to have everyone go through it, then ask for the dough. It's a good class. I've learned something every time I've gone to a class regardless of topic.

- Brian

Forum Member

The departments I have been involved in have had in house training criteria for drivers/operators, how or where do I find out if those programs meet the requirements FEMA wants to see.
    Last edited by buck43; 09-16-2006 at 10:32 AM. Reason: clear up

FH Mag/.com Contributor

IFSAC - International Fire Service Accreddidation Congress. More or less the people writing the IFSTA manuals. Everything here follows NFPA, so if you teach out of IFSTA, you're NFPA compliant as long as its an instructor certified to teach at some level.
    CE - Continuing Education Units, used to keep/attain certifications
    VFIS - Volunteer Firefighters Insurance Service. Insurance company that covers a huge chunk of the VFDs in the US.

Thread Information