Forum Member

Default Yellowknife Fire

Charges laid in case of two Yellowknife firefighters who died battling blaze

YELLOWKNIFE (CP) - Safety charges have been laid against the City of Yellowknife and its top fire officials in the deaths of two firefighters in a blaze last year.

The charges include failing to take reasonable precautions to ensure the health and safety of crews, as well as failing to properly instruct all firefighters. Kevin Olson, 24, had been on the job just 10 days when he was killed by a collapsing roof during a fire call in March 2005.

Eighteen-year-veteran Cyril Fyfe, 41, was also injured in the blaze and died later in hospital when his family took him off life support.

The Workers' Compensation Board laid the charges under the Northwest Territories Safety Act.

The Canadian Press 2006

View more info here www.kevinolsonmemorial.com

Forum Member

Default Hypocritical WSIB

It's hypocritical for the Compensation Board to sue the fire dept. when itself is a great goverment scam. When firefighters are dying of cancer due to exposure the WSIB will not compensate it's families who are going broke fighting the disease and the after effect of when our members are gone.

WSIB does not hesitate to sue to recover it's loss.

May our members rest in peace, may their families live on with financial help.

D322

MembersZone Subscriber

In my opinion I don't think the compensation board should cover cancer for example in this day and age. With all the high tech PPE we're issued theres no excuse.

MembersZone Subscriber

The men that are dying of these related cancers were exposed to these toxins well before they knew it was going to harm them, 20 years ago Breathing apparatus wasn't even manditory. 30 years ago you were considered weak if wanted to wear one and your captain would tell you that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with that fire dog. But I mean in the last few years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Danco322
    It's hypocritical for the Compensation Board to sue the fire dept. when itself is a great goverment scam. When firefighters are dying of cancer due to exposure the WSIB will not compensate it's families who are going broke fighting the disease and the after effect of when our members are gone.

D322
    Comp isnt suing the fire department - it has charged the members with what boils down to neglect. Big difference when a roof falls on your head from being cut full of holes and too many people on it - dont get me started BS how they died. As for cancers thats a different ball of wax. Alberta protects it FF's if they get cancer associated with fire fighting.

Mike - fire fighters will always be exposed to theses carcinogens - at least until they develop a portable decontamination shower for -40. The contaminants are in our gear and as soon as your mask comes off you are exposed - and they stay there until they are washed out wich for most is every 3-4 months. I am glad that our province has chosen to support its fire fighters and help families when cancer strikes.
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

Forum Member

Default My mistake

You correct Dave 404, suing was the wrong term. I miss read the article!

I was just ranting about the treatment that WSIB has for it's FF striken with cancer.

As for other replies Cancer needs to be recognized as a job hazard and compensated accordingly.

Some provinces have some haven't

All firefighters should be covered above what the normal person has due to the nature of the work.

D322

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemanmikey
    In my opinion I don't think the compensation board should cover cancer for example in this day and age. With all the high tech PPE we're issued theres no excuse.

That's a ridiculous statement to make. It doesn't matter how careful we are. We are still going to take in smoke over a long career. We will take in much less than the old timers did but it's always a risk. Not to mention that the chemicals can be absorbed into our skin. I try to wear my SCBA as much as possible but it will always be a concern.

Thread Information