Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Dallas Fire-Rescue Test

Have a couple of questions about their test.......

How many people can I expect to be testing with them?

And

Does anyone know what their test covers? Any heads-up over the test would surely be appreciated.

Eric

Forum Member

I took it in '03. I don't know if the test has changed. The test I took is not your standard civil service test. I was in a room with about 10 other applicants because they had "rolling" testing sessions.

My uncle and a cousin are both former DFR firefighters. You can expect to be riding the ambulance for the first 10+ years of your career.

Forum Member

I thought that a new guy in DFD would be on the ambulance all the time for several years but I just spoke with some DFD guys and they said that they rotate one shift on the ambulance and then one shift on the engine.

Forum Member

I just spoke with a recruiter with DFD and she said they will be hiring around 50 people. She also stated that they had allot of applications turned in, but would not give the number of applicants that passed the minimum requirements to take the test. Now the question is how many people do you think will be testing and what do I need to study for?

Eric

Forum Member

How long does the hiring process take? What is the timeline after the civil service exam on April 3 as far as recieving a call back to take the physical and then do the interview? About how long from the day of the test to the actual hiring? Thanks.

You go to DFD, expect to ride on ambulances that run 30 calls a shift. Also expect to be known as one of the worst EMS system level of care wise probably in the DFW area, if not the state.

That being said, there are a lot of good medics who work for the DFD. But, there are a lot of bad. And by bad, I mean bring in gunshot wounds with no IV's and not even backboarded or on oxygen.

But, a great, and I do mean great retirement system

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985
    You go to DFD, expect to ride on ambulances that run 30 calls a shift. Also expect to be known as one of the worst EMS system level of care wise probably in the DFW area, if not the state.

That being said, there are a lot of good medics who work for the DFD. But, there are a lot of bad. And by bad, I mean bring in gunshot wounds with no IV's and not even backboarded or on oxygen.

30 runs a shift? Really? Which houses are those?

beats me. Just from what some of the guys who work there have told me. The level of care is just what I witnessed personally at the ER.

Forum Member

Default Accuplacar test

I took the civil service exam the other day and now the next step is to take an accuplacar test (?) at the local jr. college. Do most departments do this? I thought this was the point of the civil service examination. I guess it's just another weed out step...just wasn't expecting it.
    Anybody else take the test the other day?

Forum Member

Oh, it's accuplacer...that makes a little more sense. Typo on Dallas' sheet. The sheet that Dallas handed out just says "Reading and Arithmetic" when mentioning the test but the site that it refers to for study material gets into algebra, geometry, and all that jazz under its accuplacer link. Does anyone know what's on this?test Is it just reading and arithmetic?

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985

I find it interesting that NON-Dallas guys enjoy filling forums such as this one with half-truths and misinformation. Being a Dallas firefighter, I am qualified to post first-hand on DFD info.

A "busy" ambulance in Dallas is one that answers 5000 + runs per years. A "busy" ambulance, therefore, will answer an average of 13.69 runs per shift. My record is 26 runs during a 24 hour period and that has happened once in the 6 years I've been a paramedic in this system. There are certainly busier days and slower days but consistently answering 30 plus runs per shift does not happen.

As far as being "one of the worst" systems in the metroplex or the state, I have not seen any data that indicates that. I read alot about Texas FDs and fire-based EMS and have yet to see any figures or information to substantiate that claim. There are good paramedics and bad paramedics in any system - the number of which is proportional to the number of employees. By virtue of being a large organization, the number of good, mediocre, and bad apples will be greater that a FD that employs 10 FF.

The example you provided was a gunshot wound without a backboard or IV. One can debate patient care to the Nth degree but I'll agree that there are patients who are difficult "sticks" and there are patients who do NOT need a LSB (i.e. gunshot wound to the hand).

Dallas is a great department to work for and we have a great pension. The one thing that turns alot of folks away is the fact that all new hires must complete paramedic training and remain certified for their career. Those who have an issue with that should look elsewhere for employment. That being said, I can assure you that I am NOT a fan of riding the ambulance. If it was not required of me, I would not do it. I have, however, made "peace" with riding the ambulance - I am neither excited about it not upset about it. It is merely an aspect of the job that I must do (just like cleaning the bathrooms). I will, however, do ALL aspects of my job (paramedic included) to the best of my ability.

A paramedic-certified firefighter or driver/engineer will ride, on average four (4) shifts per month on the ambulance and the other shifts on the engine or truck. Our rotation is alot more liberal than other FDs in the Metroplex. Many require FF/PMs to ride EVERY shift (or 9 out of 10 per month); some require less. Dallas, by far, is a very easy rotation. Our main difference is the volume we answer compared to the suburbs. Those who ride it every shift may only average 4 - 6 runs a shift where we average double, sometimes triple that amount.

Dallas has its good and bad points. In my opinion, the good outway the bad but I am sure there are those who feel the inverse is true.
    Last edited by rjtoc2; 09-28-2006 at 01:42 PM.
    rjtoc2

career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)

***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

Thread Information