MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rescue Tool Evaluation

Need some guidance.

What are the top 5 things you look at when evaluating rescue tools?

If you were going to purchase new tools today, what would you want to know about each tool in order to make a comprehensive side-by-side comparison?

What sold you on the last set of tools that you purchased?

My questions are not designed to pit one tool manufacturer against another, only to find out what criteria you would use in your next selection.

*NOTE: I do not sell or promote any brand of rescue tool or equipment!
    Last edited by harley4227; 03-11-2006 at 09:57 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harley4227
    Need some guidance.

What are the top 5 things you look at when evaluating rescue tools?

1. Reputation (other's opinion of the tool)
    2. Operating system (High vs. Low pressure)
    3. Service
    4. Demeanor of the sales rep (is he selling the tool... or can the tool sell itself?)
    5. Side-by-side evaluation

If you were going to purchase new tools today, what would you want to know about each tool in order to make a comprehensive side-by-side comparison?

-Warranty, preferred fluid, operating system, service.

What sold you on the last set of tools that you purchased?

- local sales and service, low pressure system, diethelyne glycol fluid

My questions are not designed to pit one tool manufacturer against another, only to find out what criteria you would use in your next selection.

- GOOD LUCK --- I am sure it will degrade to this at some point...

*NOTE: I do not sell or promote any brand of rescue tool or equipment!
    Me neither... and thank goodness for that. It is a rough business from what I see.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

My Picks

1. Service
    2. Durability, Adapdability and Versatility
    3. Lightweight
    4. Reputation
    5. Construction

Service speaks for itself.
    Durability-if it can't hold up without breaking it is not worth having. Adaptability- being used for other applications than just vehicle ops. Versatlity- same as adaptability but able to get into the tight spots and doing more than it was intended fror. Lots of accessories like different cutters and rams.
    Lightweight - I'm old, things are getting heavier now. Also staves off exhaustion a little longer.
    Reputation - if nothing but bad things are said about a particular system then I'm not buying it. Talk to the firemen and drivers of the apparatus with the equipment and find out if there are any problems.
    Contruction- Sturdy, rigid (not solid like Amkus) with simple exterior moving parts. Not bulky and well balanced.

Forum Member

This one might need explaining, but comfort. With that I mean where are the controls? Are they a handle that twists to open and close or is it a lever operation? I guess comfort is the total package of how the tool feels in your hand, in addition to controls, where and how is the support handle placed? Do you have to twist your arm/hand in some contortionist fashion to get firm control over the tool, etc.

We just updated our tools about 4 years ago and yes we factored in the other things that guys mentioned like service, reputation, etc, but not completely in the way that some guys may think. With service, we looked at it a couple of ways with the first being service records as far as quantity. Meaning are these techs servicing tools all the time meaning that perhaps they go out for service too frequently or are there no records and perhaps they are 'adjusting' their stats. We actually found a vendor(and I firmly believe it to be the salesman's personal spin) who wasn't quite accurate on his service stats, trying to say they never break. His numbers were accurate to back them up with the exception of he never separated out "Warrantied Repairs" vs billed service calls and only reported the billed service calls. Nice tactic huh? Needless to say we didn't buy from him. Once we sorted through that stuff we looked at service policy and our key thing was we demanded service policy that included a loaner tool within 24 hours max while ours was repaired if necessary. Its always great that you can fix it as good as new, but what is done to accomodate the potential downtime is so key in our business.

Finally, and I know some guys here strongly oppose this, but we looked at what was around us on mutual aid rigs. If we needed extra tools we have them and not necessarily for swapping out, but more for if we are together on a job we all know how to operate each others equipment and fill in as needed. We cover a section of 4 lane interstate highway that has some sort of evil spirits watching it and when things go bad, they go bad meaning multiple rescue companies and multiple sets of tools. Having that familiarity amongst companies gives a little better flow to the operation.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Forum Member

-Must be easy to use and I like that word " Comfortable "
    -Tuff as nails and low maintenance.
    -Good support from the Sales rep. If we have trouble we get a loaner while trouble is fixed. Quality training should come with your pkg too.
    - Get feedback from a dept who already uses it.

Thread Information