Thread: Light Towers

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Light Towers

We are currently specing a new heavy rescue and im looking for some ideas for the light tower, wilburt vs command light, the good and bad of metal halide

Forum Member

We have a Wil-Burt on our rescue and have had some problems with it. The "auto-stow" feature as messed up a couple times leading to damage. Dont know anything about Command Light or the metal-halide bulbs. Ours are the standard halogen.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

We have a Command Light Shadow RT on our rescue, 4-650 watt lamps. Does a very nice job. Had some problems with the upper arm not turning. Command Light rebuilt it once, still had a problem, so they shipped a completely new unit and took the old one back. Haven't had any problems since. The original was 1 1/2 years old when they replaced it for nothing. Seems they really stand behind their product.

Forum Member

My station had two pumpers with the Command Light brand units on them. Both of them died during use, plus we were having problems with the auto-park feature when they did work.

We have replaced one with a Wilburt unit with four 750 watt lamp heads. WOW! Lots of light. And once the lights are up, you can rotate the two pods (with two lamps each) independently. So, you can put the light up, then face two lamps to the driver's side, and two lamps to the officer's side to light everything up!!

One question you should ask each manufacturer is if the light/mast is up and being used, and electrical power is turned off to the unit (due to a malfunction), what is the procedure to lower and bed the unit. You will probably find that the Wilburt is the easiest to lower and stow after a malfunction. The Command Light we had, had to be disassembled in the field.

If you haven't already, in this forum (Apparatus Innovation), search for the term "command light" and you'll find several discussions about this topic.

Good Luck!!
    X

Forum Member

Default tower lite

We have the Wilburt towers and only minor problems so far. I believe that Havis Shield laso makes a tower unit.Try the old internet search.

Forum Member

We've had the Wil-burt tower in service now for almost 7 years. We had a problem in the beginning with the tower not folding properly. It turns out it was a cracked circuit board in the base of the unit. Once the circuit board was replaced, it performed flawlessly.

Forum Member

I know of depts. that have had both kinds and I haven't heard of any MAJOR problems. They use them quite frequently.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Default lights

we just ordered a new rescue with the command light we thought about the wellburt (sp?) and we didn't care for it, it seemed a little clumsy not as versatale as the command light, atleast in the models we were shown. i heard that wellburt was behind in manufacturing also. command light seems nice.
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

MembersZone Subscriber

We use Will-Burt. Non-folding design in my opinion is better for storing and less problematic.

As for Metal Halide, the next light tower on the pumper we are specing will use those. They have proven to start-up quicker (2 minutes) and in the event you need to re-start them after shutting down the light tower, they come back on alot faster.

Just a thought.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

There is a new (to us) light tower that is just hitting the streets. They are Fireco light towers that is being brought over from Eurpoe. It is a joint venture by Alan Saulsbury and Tempest. From what I've heard they should be major player in the market and very competively priced.

I just found an article on firehouse...
    http://cms.firehouse.com/content/art...9&sectionId=50

I haven't yet seen one of these but I suspect I will be able to see one at FDIC.

Anyone else seen one yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a new rescue-engine going through that is spec'd with a 15' Willburt Profiler mast and (3) 900W HIR FRC Optimum heads. We considered the HID, but we're waiting for FRC to come out with their version first, whenever that may be. I can't STAND the Command Light towers - I think they should have to pay YOU to put those horrible things on your apparatus.

Todd - the Tempest Fireco towers look like a good product. I'm looking forward to seeing them first hand at FDIC. Rosenbauer is featuring them on their Tech Drive '06 apparatus.

For more information, take a look at www.tempestfirecotowers.com

Forum Member

Default Light Towers

Everyone's entired to their opinion (Blitzfiresolo) but I disagree and I am the dealer for Command Light in Canada as well so yes biased somewhat BUT there are a lot of FD's that have Command Light in both large and small FD's that have had them for a number of years and really like them based on their performance and reliablity. I can also assure you that if Command Light is aware of a problem (as stated in some posts) they've stood behind their product and repaired or replaced it even out of warranty..

I can tell you that many of Canada's larger FD's have the Command Light on a number of apparatus and some work in cold winter conditions to -40 and with no having an air lift the Command Light performs better in cold/windy conditions.

I've also had customers who've spec'd Wil-burt and have liked/hated them too.

I just delivered 3 new Rescue Pumpers with the Wil-burt 15' model and it was very slow in raising and IMHO more moving parts compared to the Knight Light. Another thing to consider is the ability with the Command Light to place it over the side of the apparatus (when working over an embankment, under an overpass etc.)

There are pro-con's to both so why not look at each company's website and or attend a major trade show and see for yourself..(FDIC)

As to the Tempestfirecotowers I'm awaiting to see them myself and time will tell how they stand up to the rigors of our North American fire service conditions and use/abuse...

MembersZone Subscriber

I think all three brands have something to offer.

Depending on the situation, a Command Light has a lower installation cost, at least for who I sell for. I believe they are now offering a 5-year warranty on their product. I think Wil-Burt is one-year and Tempest/Fireco will be two.

I too like the fact that the Command Light is powered both up and down, so in the winter it can be a nice feature to have, if things ice up.

The Wil-Burt stuff is probably the most common, and I don't think they'd be where they are today if not for making a good product. Tempest has something to prove as the new guy here in the U.S., is probably priced the least expensive of all of them, and has a pretty deep catalog of equipment. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their product to a customer based on what I've seen of them so far.
    Last edited by npfd801; 04-13-2006 at 11:20 PM.

Forum Member

Default Fdic

I am looking forward to comparing the Tempest Fireco towers to the others on display at the show. I have explored the Fireco (Italian) website and their product line looks very extensive. Their ability to incorporate lights from Havis-Shields, Fire Research, Akron GFE and others offers much flexibility in design and placement on the vehicle.

I think that this is a great addition in the efforts to improve scene safety.

Forum Member

Default Tempest

As the Tempest/Fireco lights, I trust them because Alan Saulsbury is a part of it.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

Thread Information