1. #1
    Forum Member
    Dave1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    4,157

    Default Favorite Board Game

    My daughter is watching this show on VH1 about games. Really bringing back some memories. So I thought, hey, a new thread (lol).

    I was the MAN at Stratego, but if I had to pick a fav it would be Clue.

    Yours???
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

    IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

    "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

    Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    mcaldwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Panorama, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,022

    Default

    RISK!

    Wasted MANY college weeknights on that one when I should have been studying.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

    IACOJ

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell
    RISK!

    Wasted MANY college weeknights on that one when I should have been studying.
    Is RISK the one where you are any one of a few different armies of different continents of the world. and you "battle" one another and determine losses/wins by rolling dice? I cant remember for the life of me......If thats the game, what a great way to blow 3-4 hours of downtime on a 24 hour shift! We were so into it at one point, we would play it at the watch desk so that whoever was coming or leaving watch could still stay in the game!!!!

    On Sundays, we would play twice- once after truck checks/breakfast then take a nap, and then once in the afternoon or after dinner!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Weruj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    7,857

    Default

    in no order
    Pathfinder
    Stratego
    Battleship
    Othello ?
    Sequence
    Chutes and Ladders
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    mcaldwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Panorama, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff
    Is RISK the one where you are any one of a few different armies of different continents of the world. and you "battle" one another and determine losses/wins by rolling dice? I cant remember for the life of me......If thats the game, what a great way to blow 3-4 hours of downtime on a 24 hour shift! We were so into it at one point, we would play it at the watch desk so that whoever was coming or leaving watch could still stay in the game!!!!
    That's the one.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

    IACOJ

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    IronsMan53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    656

    Default

    I loved playing Risk. I also enjoyed a game very similar to Risk called Axis & Allies
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

    One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FDNY101TRUCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9-0-8
    Posts
    789

    Default

    JENGA!!!!!








    (not a board game but it was still fun)
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    arhaney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!
    Posts
    1,448

    Default

    Battleship would be #1. Monopoly is #2. Chess #3.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

    http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

    In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

    Thanks, LeuitEFDems

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    E229Lt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    MOUSETRAP

    A few of us rebuilt the game into a table-long death trap, once it was assembled.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    PFire23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    On a rock, surrounded by water
    Posts
    1,845

    Default

    I like chess
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

    IACOJ-WOT proud

    GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Diane E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Location
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Favorite board game...Scrabble!

    A bit disappointed in the VH-1 number 1 -- the Hula Hoop? All the "toys" out there and it's the Hula Hoop?
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ROOKIELZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Sequence is my favourite but I have been known to play pictionary amongst others at parties.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    FDNY101TRUCK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9-0-8
    Posts
    789

    Default

    I also liked playing Othello and Connect 4
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,586

    Default

    My favorites are Scrabble and Trivial Pusuit.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas,Nevada
    Posts
    1,012

    Default games

    Monopoly but let me ask i anyone ever heard of the Uncle Wiggly Board game.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Res343cue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your 1st due.
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Beer Pong...

    Okay, it's not a board game, but it's tabletop! Does that count?


    Monopoly always is fun, Scrabble and The Game of Life are close second/thirds to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

    I A C O J
    FTM-PTB


    Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    375

    Default

    I had an Emergency game when I was a kid that was kind of like Monopoly. You picked cards that had different runs/situations and everyone had a colored plastic fire engine for their game piece. Not my favorite, but just something I thought of reading this forum. I dominate in Trivial Pursuit 80's edition though. We had Uncle Wiggly too.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Skip-Bo is very addicting; I used to play UNO and Yahtzee alot.
    Keep up the good work, stay safe, and God Bless!!!

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    WaterbryVTfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    547

    Default

    A bit disappointed in the VH-1 number 1 -- the Hula Hoop? All the "toys" out there and it's the Hula Hoop? [/QUOTE]

    I agree the friggin' hula hoop?

    Anyway, a few here were good, Beer pong...oh yeah!!

    Naked Twister anyone? (Females need only apply).

    When it comes to relaxing, I'd have to say Uno? can that be considered a board game?

    If not Monopoly or Trivial Pursuit..
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ********

    IACOJ

    ********

    "Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Has to be "operation". gosh I was a surgeon back in those days, I could remove that femur without touching the buzzer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    Res343cue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your 1st due.
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire

    Anyway, a few here were good, Beer pong...oh yeah!!
    Just don't mention that I brought that up.



    But Naked Twister? Who you gonna have to pay, and how much for them to play that with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

    I A C O J
    FTM-PTB


    Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

  22. #22
    MembersZone Subscriber
    RoughRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oyster Bay, NY
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    My daughter is watching this show on VH1 about games. Really bringing back some memories. So I thought, hey, a new thread (lol).

    I was the MAN at Stratego, but if I had to pick a fav it would be Clue.

    Yours???
    Hey Dave,

    Did you have a favorite spot to hide your flag??
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

    The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.


    IACOJ PROUD

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    Dave1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gator Country
    Posts
    4,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider
    Hey Dave,

    Did you have a favorite spot to hide your flag??
    Wow, its only been like 25 years since I last played, but if memory serves it was dead center on the bottom row, with a #3 man on each side, the #1 in front with bombs on each side of him. If I played somebody that I had lost to before (not often) I would switch to a corner, with a bomb in front, one bomb beside and the #1 diagonal. The 3's would be nearby.

    I would attack with a group that had the #2, a couple #4s and a spy. I tried to always move them as a group. I think I did well cause I always seemed to know where the bombs were. Not sure why, just luck I guess. I would also try and throw the other guy off by setting up some bombs around a #9 as a dummy flag.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 03-15-2006 at 02:49 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

    IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

    "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

    Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

  24. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber
    RoughRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oyster Bay, NY
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Wow, its only been like 25 years since I last played, but if memory serves it was dead center on the bottom row, with a #3 man on each side, the #1 in front with bombs on each side of him. If I played somebody that I had lost to before (not often) I would switch to a corner, with a bomb in front, one bomb beside and the #1 diagonal. The 3's would be nearby.

    I would attack with a group that had the #2, a couple #4s and a spy. I tried to always move them as a group. I think I did well cause I always seemed to know where the bombs were. Not sure why, just luck I guess. I would also try and throw the other guy off by setting up some bombs around a #9 as a dummy flag.

    LOL

    I liked to tuck mine behind the water surrounded by bombs and a 7 inside the perimeter
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

    The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.


    IACOJ PROUD

  25. #25
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    729

    Default

    I go along with rRsk although I almost remember playing a board game called "Passout" during my rough and rowdy misspent youth.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Foreign Fire Tax
    By ChiefReason in forum Illinois
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 03:12 PM
  2. Interview questions
    By GPM123 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register