Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Uniform question for So Cal FF's

I have gotten new yellow turnouts, and I wanted to stencil my name on the back in black like LA City/ County. Can anyone advise on the type of paint/ marker I need? Obviously, I need a stencil for the letters, but I don't know what marking material is used. Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not from socal, but I used the stencils for my name on the back my coat (pbi brown or whatever you want to call it) I just used Black Spray Paint which has held up pretty good. You may have to re paint every once in a while depending on if you wash your gear and the frequency of washing.

LasVegasFTO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Better check the manufacturer's specifications and NFPA. You may void the warranty or listing by painting your name on it. Wouldn't want you to become a statistic because the paint you used caused the fire resistive treatment to deteriorate and not provide you thermal protection and fail when you need it most.

Why didn't you have the manufacturer sew your name on it with the proper materials??

STAY SAFE AND TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED !!

Better check with your department. Do all the other members have the names on the coats? Is it permitted? I would think if the department wanted names on coats, it would have come with it. But if this is the way they do it, couldnt one of your members answer your question?
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Better check the manufacturer's specifications and NFPA.

Quick answer to the NFPA: Don't bother. They don't address stenciling gear.

3M has tested it's Series 8000 Reflective inks on Nomex & PBI and found it works well, but they will not themselves "recommend" it for that application due to the lack of anything in NFPA 1971 as a standard for them to test against.

Reflec makes a fire-resitant reflective ink for the European market.

Not sure which of those companies Bristol uses -- they're the only manufacturer I've seen that is big into screen printing -- look at the samples here, can't get details this fine with stitching! http://216.223.162.33/onesite/publis...Trim%20Options

Years ago my department painted our department's sytlized name/logo ("the Mortlake arch" is what we call it) and gear number. I believe it was a water-based acrylic paint; unlike latex & oil-based alkaloid paints it doesn't wash off easily. (Many soaps have alkaloids; most oil based paints besides having the petroleum base I wouldn't think you should use are alkaloid...therefore will launder away. Water based acrylic tends to stand up to the laundry). I'm kind of giving this background as a bit of history why people are seeing the paint come off in the wash, you're not using the right paint. BUT with today's reflective inks, I wouldn't even mess around trying to find the right kind of paint anymore.

After the sign painter / long retired officer who had been doing the coats passed away, we moved to having them screen printed locally. I believe we use the 3M ink...very expensive -- I want to say our screen printer spent like $500 on a gallon of it, but then each coat only uses $25 bucks or so of paint, and like $25 for the screenprinting. When you compare that to $3-4 per letter for stitching on Scotchlite letters, it's not that bad.

I'd suspect if NFPA ever adds a screen printing / stenciling option explicitly to 1971, you'd see a lot more manufacturers move to it -- has to be less labor involved in printing then in sewing.

Looked at having Globe make a die to cut the logo from scotchlite, which they would, but the cost was prohibitive. They wouldn't explicitly endorse the screen printing, but their engineers also didn't see any reason it would cause any harm.
    Last edited by Dalmatian190; 03-12-2006 at 11:25 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasFTO
    Better check the manufacturer's specifications and NFPA. You may void the warranty or listing by painting your name on it. Wouldn't want you to become a statistic because the paint you used caused the fire resistive treatment to deteriorate and not provide you thermal protection and fail when you need it most.

Why didn't you have the manufacturer sew your name on it with the proper materials??

STAY SAFE AND TAKE NOTHING FOR GRANTED !!
    My dept. dosen't care if we have our names on them or not. Spray paint is the least of my concerns. I know they won't chump up the cash for having it done the proper way (ie: sewn on)It's just most of all the guys out here do it. NFPA? What is that? I also wear an older Sam Houston leather and guess what????There is no eye protection attached, the ratchet is gone and I cut out the pad inside. I carry some ESS goglles and some safety glasses in my gear.

Now we can start the debate on whether you abide by NFPA or not.

I am not from SOCal either but, I cant help to ask why didnt your department spring for the names on the turnouts when ordering them? I am in the process of bidding new PPE, Most sales rep has told me they will do the names for $2-$3 per letter. I thought this was a very good price. In fact some of the companies are throwing in the department name on the back and are giving the reduced price if we want to personalize them with the FF name. Even if your department didnt want to purchase them I would think the firefighters would have wanted to purchase the option. it would look a lot better then spray painting stencials.
    JMHO

MembersZone Subscriber

Call it old school I guess.

I appreciate all of your feedback. This set of gear is a set of brush gear, generally used for rescue training/ medical/ scene cleanups - not my primary turnout set. I purchased it "as is" and it did not have lettering. I wanted to explore a cheaper option to the sew-on letters, but I didn't know how the stenciling held up. If anyone has any other feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thread Information