Thread: Motorola

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Motorola

If any of you guys out there use Motorola portables, could you tell me the model number? Also, does anyone have any experience with the XTS series or the HT1550-XLS? All information will be appreciated.

Forum Member

We use some really old Ht-1000's but most of ours are the HT-1250. I am very pleased with both of them. Sorry, no experience on the others though.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

We carry the MTS 2000 here. It's ok.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

We use all Motorola products...Mobiles and portables. The portable models are MTS-2000 and XTS-5000, each with keypad/display options.

They are very dependable and quite tough.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeteySt1
    If any of you guys out there use Motorola portables, could you tell me the model number? Also, does anyone have any experience with the XTS series or the HT1550-XLS? All information will be appreciated.
    Model numbers are specific to the features each radio has.

For instance, my XTS portable is a H04KH9BA1AN (or something close... I can't really read the tag off of it right now.) The model numbers are based upon things like conventional or trunking, simplex / duplex use, what bandsplit, channel spacing, keypads / displays, what modules are installed, etc. It's not a one size fits all solution for you to buy radios with my model tacked onto them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

sorry for the mix-up. i meant product number, like XTS-5000.

Forum Member

In this area, we have everything from GP300s, GP330s, HT600s, HT750s, HT1000s, HT1250s, HT1550, XTS 2500, XTS 3000, XTS 5000, and a bunch more for portables.

For mobiles, anything from M1225s, GM300s, MCS2000s, Maxtracs, Spectras...

There's a mix of Kenwood gear in the bunch too.
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

we have used motorola 1250's for the last 4-5 years and they have been great. No problems at all. Also have some new Kenwoods, they are great also.

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you who use the XTS 5000, could you guys tell me how much you bought them for?

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well.......

We use a ton of HT1000's and some GE's There are also a few MR-k's in the mix. We're on the 494-495 band with 12 channels, non-trunked. Everyone around us has gone to 800 trunked, but we do not plan to do so.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Damn it Harve, some salesman isn't getting his beach house because of attitudes like that!

MembersZone Subscriber

A friend of mine whos a deputy was issued a XTS 3000 he has not been impressed, but when you switch from possibly the best motorola radio ever (MT1000) to a P25 capabile radio XTS what can you expect. The range is what is the most dissappointing, besides that they programmed so much extra crap into it that will never get used its hard to get around the scan lists and what not.

As for the ht1250 or 1550's a neighboring department bought about 20 of them, they have all been back to the radio shop for new display screens. Other than that the radios have worked out great for them.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard that the XTS 3000 was discontinued. I have heard some rumors that FDNY was utilizing the XTS 5000, but they found it to be to complicated and switched to something else. Still in the motorola line, but something else. So, from all the information I have gleaned, most of you will recommend the HT series? Also still waiting to see if someone could tell me what their price quote on the XTS 5000 was. Thanks for the help everybody.

Forum Member

I heard that the XTS 3000 was discontinued. I have heard some rumors that FDNY was utilizing the XTS 5000, but they found it to be to complicated and switched to something else. Still in the motorola line, but something else. So, from all the information I have gleaned, most of you will recommend the HT series? Also still waiting to see if someone could tell me what their price quote on the XTS 5000 was. Thanks for the help everybody.
    BRAND new? You're lookin at a few grand for an XTS series portable. I think the new price on a XTS 5K is around four thousand.

The HT1250 model, or 1550, will suit most FDs fine. The XTS is overkill in most cases.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

I can get you list price information for the XTS5000 if you tell me what options you want?
    Conventional?
    P25 Common Air Interface?
    Smartzone Trunking?
    P25 Trunking?
    Signaling Features?
    Encryption?
    Band?
    No Keypad? Limited Keypad? Full Keypad?

Forum Member

Most of our portables are Motorola HT1250's, but we have a few Kenwood TK290's as well. I like the features of the HT1250's, but we have had some problems with a few of these units (maybe 3 out of the 15 we own). The TK290's are more basic radios in terms of features, but they seem to take whatever punishment we can dish out. I lean toward the TK290's, but I'm not unhappy with the HT1250's.

Thread Information