MembersZone Subscriber

Default UK Firefighter attacks...at last some action!!!

Date: Thursday 9 March 2006
    FIREFIGHTER ATTACKS: BILL MOVES FORWARD

FBU welcomes backing for private members Bill aimed at tackling violence against emergency workers

The FBU has welcomed cross-party backing for a new law to make it an offence to obstruct or hinder emergency workers such as firefighters. The Emergency Workers Protection Bill received its second reading in the House of Commons Friday 3 March.

A Private Members Bill from Labour MP Alan Williams, it seeks to make it a specific offence to obstruct or hinder emergency workers such as firefighters. The union and its parliamentary support group have worked closely with Mr Williams in building support for the Bill.

This Bill will close gaps in the law in relation to ambulance workers where no current offence of obstruction exists. It will also make clearer and easier to prosecute for obstructing or hindering fire crews dealing with emergencies.

The FBU recently published research showing that attacks on UK fire crews was running at 40 a week with the problem getting worse. The research, the first of its kind in the UK, found that under-reporting suggested the figure could be as high as 120 attacks a week.

In some parts of the country, fire crews are served a diet of bricks, bottles and missiles as they fight fires. In other incidents ambushes have been set for firefighters to lure them to an incident to be attacked.

The attacks include scaffolding poles being thrown through windscreens of fire engines; crews being attacked with concrete blocks, bricks and bottles; being shot at; spat at; equipment tampered with or stolen; direct physical assaults on fire crews; and equipment being urinated on.

FBU general secretary Matt Wrack said: “We welcome Government and cross-party support for this Bill. The number and ferocity of the attacks has been getting worse and there have been several attacks this week.

Communities put at risk

“If we can’t do our job because of violent assaults then it is our communities which are being put at risk. We are the targets, but it is our communities which are deprived of an emergency response which are the victims.

“The Bill needs to be part of a package of measures aimed at tackling some of the underlying problems. Central to this package is the need for a range of educational measures to try and stop these attacks happening.”

Fire Brigades Union Link
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

OSD122

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDude
    ; being shot at;
    Just goes to show that gun control really works, for the bad guys that is.

MembersZone Subscriber

I keep reading about these attacks and the thing that continues to come to mind is WHY?! What motivates these people to attack firefighters and ambulance workers?! Boredom? Hatred? Is this children, adults?!

MembersZone Subscriber

Its an underclass of people...from all races who have lost any concept of respect, lawfulness or knowing right from wrong. Typically they are found in inner city gheoots, but these attacks can also occur in area you would never of imagined 15 years ago...places like Oxford the large university City.

THis is the result of decades of 'soft' liberal policies...more rights for the criminal than the victim, a ridiculously easy immigration policy (unless you are from a 'decent' country such as US, Australia, Canada in which case it is very hard to get in...go figure???), police tied up with reems of paperwork for every arrest...just to cover the 'human rights' of the person arrested and to ensure the Police have acted correctly, soft sentences for those who are convicted, no discipline in schools....need I go on?
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

Forum Member

Steve I know how u guys feel over there, there's places within Dublin that we just will not go in the motors without the backing of the Gardai rigth behind us....

In the recent 6 months we had 2 lads workin on the ambulance that got attacked, 1 shattered eye socket, and the other a broken jaw, a motor crew when to a suspected stabbing, result was the patient taking the knife outa his chest in transit to the hospital and went for the lads, me being one of the crew myself.....between those 2 incidents and thats only the ones that happened in my station and the countless times that the motors are in the garage getting windscreens fixed and things like that its starting to become a joke...

4 Pump Domestic Fire in the city center, persons reported trapped, 2nd floor, crews enter through 2nd floor window and main entrance with charged hose, the drivers run to sort out extra hydrants for water and while there gone a 15 year old boy heads to pump bay and turns off the water to 2 main branchs...2 of the drivers return just in time to hit the water back on and catch the boy....now servering 6 years detention for attempted manslaugther

Something has to be done and done fast before one of us get killed
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I know what you mean Johnny...I have a couple of friends and one very good friend in DFB, I was out there last summer. I spent a while at Tallaght which I know is a lively Station as well as visiting Donnybrook, Tara Street and staying at the training academy.

My friend has just been moved over to Dolphins Barn in the past few weeks. Anywya, I know our troubles are yours Bro...not a good way to live.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to hijack, but will there be a meeting of the minds on 44th street this year, Steve? Only 4 days till the high holy day.........
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Forum Member

keep it irish. Beat a few with a Halligan. works wonders...

Forum Member

haha...beat them with haligans....know thats an idea....the closest i got to kicking the excrement outa someone was smackin them across the head with a portable O2 cylinder as they ran towards me with a bassball bat...need i say i got a home run !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and Steve may i ask who your mate in the DFB is...I migth just know him ???
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

Thread Information