Forum Member

Default New guy wants to say Hi.

I heard about this site from my instructor at the fire Academy that I am going thought. I just wanted to introduce my self and tell you guyís hello. Iím 31 years old so I am getting a late start on my career in the fire service. I have completed the EMT portion of school and I am now in my 3rd week of fire school. My only regret is that I didnít do this earlier. I look forward to learning from you guys, this site and the forums. Any advice is very welcome and probably much needed.

Forum Member

First of all welcome to the forums, there are plenty of people willing to ask any questions you may have.. Good luck in your training.. Personal word of advice - you are never to old to train, with the way the fire and medical service changes daily - take all the training you can get - and even if it is a review or you done it hundreds of time - you always will learn something new from it.. You never know everything, and their is always someone that willing to learn from your experience if you are willing to learn from theirs..

welcome and enjoy

Forum Member

Thanks for the encouragement! I no Iím not that old really, It just seems that way due to the fact that everyone in the class is in the 19-23 range(they all call me Pops). And the fact that I have let myself get out of shape. It takes me longer to heal those aching muscles and to run the 2 miles every morning. But I love it, and thatís what keeps me coming back every morning.

Forum Member

New Guy Lean all u can in Training school.Ask alot questions ,pay attention ,study hard.and when u get to the refire dept u are training for,learn all u cn and take extra courses so u have an advantage for Promotional exams.Ask the senior guys or your Officer alot questions.Don't be afraid to learn from your mistakes.and train alt and listen to what the instructors are telling you.Nothing like real lfe experience but that will come in time.ENJOY THE JOB AND RESPECT YOUR SELF AND OTHER FIRE FIGHTERS.GOOD LUCK KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN DAN SOIFER

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Started late also

Quote Originally Posted by NTFireGuy
    I heard about this site from my instructor at the fire Academy that I am going thought. I just wanted to introduce my self and tell you guyís hello. Iím 31 years old so I am getting a late start on my career in the fire service. I have completed the EMT portion of school and I am now in my 3rd week of fire school. My only regret is that I didnít do this earlier. I look forward to learning from you guys, this site and the forums. Any advice is very welcome and probably much needed.
    NT

I also got a late start in the Fire Service. I was 32 in 83 when I first got hired onto a paid department. Stayed there for a few years, and then moved on to a large city dept when an opening came up. Study, study, study... Your in the "Fire Academy" now and upon graduation don't think the "schooling" is over. Get your Paramedic patch, study, College Fire Service classes, study, work towards a degree, study some more... YOU can go as far in a department as you want to, and only YOU can hold ya back..

20+ years (Volly and Paid) and I'm retired now with a pension for the rest of my life. I hope to live long enough to get back every nickel I put in and then some )

The Fire Service is a Great Profession, but like most things in life a lot of it is what you make of it. Good Luck!

I hope you one day can say the same thing to a new guy.

Bert

Forum Member

Greatings from New Jersey. Good luck and stay safe.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Thread Information