Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Default And yet another black eye for us!!

On Saturday I was at the St. Patrick's Day parade in Newport RI, which is one of the biggest around and draws around 100,000 people. There was a huge firefighter contingent from just about everywhere in RI and SE Mass. All the revelry seemed to be problemless then about 8:30 as I was leaving the bar I came across an altercation which was just shoving but got ugly quick. A firefighter in his dress blues hit a civilian in the face who then fell back striking his head on the curb. The civilian had an obvious head injury and was pretty f***ed up. The firefighter ran only to be caught by the cops. He did this IN UNIFORM in front of about 100 people. He just blew his career, the dept. he works for is very strict. It isn't worth it. After the parade he should have changed, there had to be about 50 guys from this dept. in dress blues drinking at this bar. Yet another black eye.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

One word ALCOHOL! I am willing to bet the "civilian" instigated a little bit. [B]I AM NOT SAYING RETALIATION WAS CALLED FOR!![/B]
    But, if neither had been drinking, I am sure the out come would have been different, and perhaps if one wasn't a FF the possible "challenge" maynot have been made?
    These stories always seem to make the papers. How many bar fights happen on any given night? How many make the news when its a cop, firefighter, military?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyNPFD
    On Saturday I was at the St. Patrick's Day parade in Newport RI, which is one of the biggest around and draws around 100,000 people. There was a huge firefighter contingent from just about everywhere in RI and SE Mass. All the revelry seemed to be problemless then about 8:30 as I was leaving the bar I came across an altercation which was just shoving but got ugly quick. A firefighter in his dress blues hit a civilian in the face who then fell back striking his head on the curb. The civilian had an obvious head injury and was pretty f***ed up. The firefighter ran only to be caught by the cops. He did this IN UNIFORM in front of about 100 people. He just blew his career, the dept. he works for is very strict. It isn't worth it. After the parade he should have changed, there had to be about 50 guys from this dept. in dress blues drinking at this bar. Yet another black eye.
    It's a black eye for the idiot who couldn't act like an adult in public. I find it odd some out there actually think we should care about others who would judge a group (Us, Firemen..etc) based on the actions of one or two of our members.

My mother had her purse stollen by a Black woman...does that mean she gave a black eye(no pun intended) to all Blacks because one of them is a low-life savage POS?

If someone thinks I'm a dirtbag because of this idiot...they are the ones with the problem not me.

FTM-PTM
    Last edited by FFFRED; 03-13-2006 at 11:03 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I agree that it should be a black eye for him and only him. However the press around here is not very civil servant friendly and takes any opportunity to bash us. They will make a federal case out of this.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Maybe I am missing something, I would think that a strict department would have a problem with its firefighters drinking while wearing their dress blues.

Forum Member

Police your own, watch each others back. Walk away from a fight, losing your job, or a few paychecks isnt worth it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrkinsmketr
    Police your own, watch each others back. Walk away from a fight, losing your job, or a few paychecks isnt worth it.
    You are your brothers keeper. No coward POS civilian is worth it...let the tough guy move on.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

So, was this "civilian" attracted to the dress blues or was something said about someone's mother or lack of one or was it just one of those crazy days in the big city?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Funny how things go. I cant count the number of times that I might have indulged in a beverage while in uniform after a parade or funeral and not once, not a single time were any problems ever encountered by myself or another in my party. For the most part, use your head. Dont respond. If you do, let it be an offer of a drink. Demonstrate that you are the better person. Its suppose to be a good time or a time for good rememberances. Let it be at that.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

I'd have to look at it from the angle that RES81CUE took. This guy is drinking in uniform. We DO have to police ourselves, and departments are taking a dim view (rightly so, I might venture to add) of personnel drinking 1) on duty; 2) while representing the department; and 3) on department property. There's nothing wrong with someone belting down a few drinks...but there's definitely something wrong when it leads to belting down a civvie. If it gets out of hand, and I punch someone out, I'm certainly not going to run like I did something wrong. Stay, stand your ground, and take your lumps. This guy evidently had to...running away from the situation afterwards only hurt his case that much more.

Just my humble opinion.

Forum Member

In uniform, usually after memorial or medal day. I go to the collation, throw a few down, switch to soda or water, then leave. My days of drinking myself into a drunken stupor are over, and I dont miss it. With many people looking to see ya screw up.. know your limitations, and watch ur back. simple as that.

Thread Information