MembersZone Subscriber

Default Are AED's a prioity?

I am developing my plan, the goal is firefighter safety. We need SCBA, is it logical to ask for AED in both engines and the brush truck to provide enhance FF safety -- 50% of FF deaths are cardiac.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It's a different project, so despite the merits of both, can you explain both cost issues without contradicting yourself? Do your statistics support a multi-project application?

The brush truck doesn't make much sense, unless its used as a 1st responder vehicle.

And my recommendation for equipment you want more than one if that you don't have already is to ask for 1. If you haven't at least purchased 1 on your own then you need to overcome the question of why you haven't done so and now suddenly need 2.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

When you are answering the questions on the various aspects of your project remember that how you answer them in relation to meeting required standards, voluntary standards or no standards determines your scoring on that project.
    Equipment that "Will bring the organization into voluntary compliance with a national standard." is a higher score than equipment that meets no standard.
    If you add an AED will it bring the organization into voluntary compliance with a national standard?
    You say no?
    How about NFPA 1500 - 6-2.1 "The incident commander shall integrate risk management into the regular functions of incident command." Since heart attacks are the leading cause of firefighter deaths, the availability of an AED on Department apparatus assures the incident commander a method of dealing with the risk of heart attacks to the members at all emergency scenes.
    If you don't have a copy of NFPA 1500 I would strongly suggest you get one. Read it closely, look at the big picture and think out of the box.
    Don't forget the extra points for benefits to other departments.
    "Our mutual aid Departments and the people they serve will benefit by always having access to an Automatic External Defibrillator on our apparatus when we run calls with them."

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quite correct. And to play Devil's advocate, where is EMS on that scene? NFPA 1500 isn't satisfied by an AED, a method of transporting that patient needs to be on scene also. So an AED by itself is not comparable to risk management in the spirit of 1500. And the EMS agency should be prepared to handle such an occurrence.

Again, it is a needed piece of equipment. I think every fire truck, cop car, chief's vehicle, and every major business should have an AED on hand. But when you design your project you have to keep it focused, and your assessment will do that. The bells and whistles should go over when you cross eligible sections. The more times you do that, the more likely it will read like a laundry list and be scored as such.

Thread Information