Forum Member

Default So, what is the pucker factor...

When your dog sits down or whatever his show is?

Running errands this morning, one of the local stations does traffic reports where people call in...kept reporting major delays in Groton on Route 12 which runs by Submarine Base New Londen...but so far no one had reported an accident or other situation...then the Navy press office issued a statement...

Sub base investigates bomb scare; roads backed up

Parts of Crystal Lake Road and Military Highway remain closed today while Naval officials investigate a perceived bomb threat at the submarine base in Groton.

At about 6:30 a.m. a Navy security team shut down gate 1 at the sub base when a working military dog inspecting vehicles detected a possible threat, according to Naval spokesman Ira Elinson.

The Navy increased security at the base, contacted local authorities and called in a Naval Explosive Ordinance Disposal Team from Newport, R.I. to conduct an evaluation.That evaluation in ongoing while activity at the base has returned to normal as of 10:15 a.m.

Local roads remain closed as part of a secured safety zone. Base gates three and five remain open.

They also went into high scrutiny mode for those entering the other gates...

Be interesting to see what the outcome is.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not quite the same potential for national impact, but while overhauling a recent unauthorized pit fire, I pulled some debris off the pile to wet it down and discovered a venting propane cylinder...

It took a half a blink for me to remember that acronym... B-L-E-V-E.

I don't even know for sure that a typical BBQ propane cylinder is capable of reaching that state... I do know that I made a not so gracefull rapid exit from that pit. OIC couldn't understand what I was worked up about at a garbage fire until I explained from several hundred feet away behind an old bus...

My continued existance on this rock are proof that this propane cylinder didn't blow up... And also proof that common sense is not a virtue granted to each of our citizens....

P.S. does anyone know if a 30lbs propane cylinder can BLEVE?
    SRFD905 - Serving since 1998

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Quote Originally Posted by rualfire
    Not quite the same potential for national impact, but while overhauling a recent unauthorized pit fire, I pulled some debris off the pile to wet it down and discovered a venting propane cylinder...

It took a half a blink for me to remember that acronym... B-L-E-V-E.

I don't even know for sure that a typical BBQ propane cylinder is capable of reaching that state... I do know that I made a not so gracefull rapid exit from that pit. OIC couldn't understand what I was worked up about at a garbage fire until I explained from several hundred feet away behind an old bus...

My continued existance on this rock are proof that this propane cylinder didn't blow up... And also proof that common sense is not a virtue granted to each of our citizens....

From personal observations.................YES!

For my story:
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...+Bleve+tonight
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

Forum Member

Abso freakin lutely.

Flammable liquids BLEVE easier due to the lower boiling points, and it's especially associated with liquified gas fuels since they have containers that can allow the pressure and heat to build high enough -- your average car gasoline tank or the plastic gas jug in your garage will fail long before they can build the pressure.

However any fluid including water could be caused to BLEVE if you had way, way too much time on your hands. It's the liquid super heated above it's boiling point that's the key. Like a pressure cooker, the pressure is allowing the liquid to heat way beyond it's normal boiling point. When the container catastrophically fails, the instantaneous conversion of liquid to gas is what causes the force behind the Boiling Liquid...Expanding Vapor Explosion. The spectacular fire ball is just a side effect!

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs up Of course

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190

Abso freakin lutely.

Flammable liquids BLEVE easier due to the lower boiling points, and it's especially associated with liquified gas fuels since they have containers that can allow the pressure and heat to build high enough -- your average car gasoline tank or the plastic gas jug in your garage will fail long before they can build the pressure.

However any fluid including water could be caused to BLEVE if you had way, way too much time on your hands. It's the liquid super heated above it's boiling point that's the key. Like a pressure cooker, the pressure is allowing the liquid to heat way beyond it's normal boiling point. When the container catastrophically fails, the instantaneous conversion of liquid to gas is what causes the force behind the Boiling Liquid...Expanding Vapor Explosion. The spectacular fire ball is just a side effect!
    I could not resist--the correct answer is, wait for it

"You'd better bleve it" Sorry-to good to let by!

Forum Member

Blast Levelling Everything Very Effectivly.

Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the pic arhaney... and everyone else for the refresher on BLEVE's..

I've got good news... they managed to get my gear clean...

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

MembersZone Subscriber
    Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Quote Originally Posted by rualfire
    Thanks for the pic arhaney... and everyone else for the refresher on BLEVE's..

I've got good news... they managed to get my gear clean...

No problem, glad your gear came out ok...........

The tank is still in the corner of the station.......used as show and tell for the FNG's.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

This is from a fire we had a couple of years ago. Fire stared on the second floor deck and involved a gas grill. The fire behind the bush in the center of the picture is liquid propane running down the stairs and burning off after the tank BLEVE'D.

-------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Follow up on the original...false alarm, but they don't know why the dogs where alerting to the vehicle. They're kind of interested in figuring it out, since it was a wee bit of a disruption (shut down the base except for essential employees).

MembersZone Subscriber

Sorry to have hijacked your thread Dal. Thanks for the update. An interesting story in there somewhere.

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

Thread Information