Forum Member

Default Protection from a leather helmet!

I was wondering what all the leather helmet owners thought of the protection from a Cairns N5A vs. N6A. I know the 5A is non compliant. Does anyone think it is less protection and less safe? I want to protect my mellon the best, but the 6A is very expensive. Thoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber

My bad, I thought you wanted protection from a leather helmet
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

MembersZone Subscriber

Their compliency has nothing to do with protecting your head, it has to do with protecting your vision. Bourkes don't count and that's what comes standard with the N5A. You can get goggles or shield with the N6A. In theory you can make your N5A complient by adding goggles or a shield, but on the same note you make it uncomplient (??? that a word?) by modifying it.

Or so I'm told.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hooknladdr6
    I was wondering what all the leather helmet owners thought of the protection from a Cairns N5A vs. N6A. I know the 5A is non compliant. Does anyone think it is less protection and less safe? I want to protect my mellon the best, but the 6A is very expensive. Thoughts?
    The safety record of the original NY was clean. A bunch of bureaucrats in cohorts with certian helmet manufactures developed "standards" that declared the helmet wasn't safe as is. (much was based on an unlikely event...cantalievered beam hitting the pannel with the nails TOWARD the helmet!!!) I know what you are thinking...who has ever seen a cantalivered beam fall with a nails toward you and how come this never occured in real life fires over decades in NYC, Boston and other cities? This is what forced them into using standard sizes and impact caps...as if we needed that much protection...look at construction workers for godsake...they have much less protection and get sh*t dropped on them all the time. Seen a number of them around here

The helmet served my dept well for over 140 years and still does today..despite the cheap b@st@rds who sold out and now issue a low-bid POS. Plastic lids have been around for 50 years and our budget minded kool-aid drinkers only recently subcumbed to the price issue.

I wear a N5A and so do many of the brothers on my job. There is nothing wrong with it...otherwise do you think...1000s of firemen would own and use them if they weren't safe?

I've worn both the N6A and N5A...if you have the choice...go with the New Yorker. You won't be disapointed

FTM-PTB

PS- For interests of full discloure I don't make any money off of Cairns or own any part of MSA or its subsidiaries.

PPS- Bourkes work just fine...I've used them for some time. If you want goggles...knock yourself out...you shouldn't need some for profit agency to tell you what is good for you. Ask yourself...if the helmet isn't compliant who is going to care?...no one. The BS about not being covered in an accident is an Urban myth...I know personally a fireman who died with a "non-compliant" lid and their families got the same benefits as everyone else.
    Last edited by FFFRED; 03-14-2006 at 12:10 AM.

Forum Member

LOL FFFRED please tell us how you realy feel

^^ what he said !

Love my New Yorker and thank God we have a choice of issue.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Lets face it if a large object happens to fall directly onto your head the type or make of helmet you are wearing probably isn't going to make a differance. Save yourself the extra cash and go with the new yorker.

Forum Member

See here ....we did this awile ago here are the results !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by needlejockey
    Their compliency has nothing to do with protecting your head, it has to do with protecting your vision. Bourkes don't count and that's what comes standard with the N5A. You can get goggles or shield with the N6A. In theory you can make your N5A complient by adding goggles or a shield, but on the same note you make it uncomplient (??? that a word?) by modifying it.

Or so I'm told.

Actually it does, the Bourke's are not the problem.

The N6A(Sam Houston) has a extra puncture protection layer on the inside of the helmet and the N5A does not.

Both are great helmets. I have the N6A and love it. If I could get away with it I would wear the N5A but my department says I need the puncture protection

The only thing I regret about my leather helmet is that I waited so long to buy one.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    Actually it does, the Bourke's are not the problem.

The N6A(Sam Houston) has a extra puncture protection layer on the inside of the helmet and the N5A does not.

Both are great helmets. I have the N6A and love it. If I could get away with it I would wear the N5A but my department says I need the puncture protection

The only thing I regret about my leather helmet is that I waited so long to buy one.
    If it does, then my apologies. I was relating at best 3rd hand knowledge. Out of curiosity, how does the N5A and N6A compare in "their" studies in comparison to our new fangled plastic lids? Obviosuly they both work, but if they're so bent out of shape over a puncture protection layer in one helmet style I wonder if that issue comes up with other lids?
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Forum Member

The difference between the two is the ability to withstand a sharp object dropped from a height of 8 feet.

My conrtnention is anything that falls on your head is bound to hurt!

Proud owner of both an N5A and N6A!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information