Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Looking for info on a Grant App

We are currently working on a grant app for the upcoming grant season. We had a meeting to decide what to go for and we settle on two categories, SCBA's/compressor upgrade or a Vehicle Exhaust removal system. After we start working the grant for SCBA, someone gets the idea to go for everything.

We have had the talks to try and convey that you don't go for everything at once to no avail. My question is this. How can I make an app that is a longshot at best, work a little better. This will be the 3rd grant we have applied for. So far, we are 50/50 with a grant for a brush/quick attack being granted in 2004 and SCBA's being denied in 2005.

As far as the SCBA units go, we are running scott 2.2 2216 aluminum bottled units w/o pass devices built in. Some newer units, however we run into trouble on the compatibility front. Compressor upgrad to go from 4500 to 6000psi. Compressor used by several departments at the present time. Upgrade will increase cascade system effectiveness. Would we be better off to try and upgrade the airpacks or go for new. Our current units do not have the integrated pass, nor do they meet the current standarsd. The air handling system is just the status quo. Diesel is bad. System to remove the diesel is good.

enough rambling......Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyho74
    We are currently working on a grant app for the upcoming grant season. We had a meeting to decide what to go for and we settle on two categories, SCBA's/compressor upgrade or a Vehicle Exhaust removal system. After we start working the grant for SCBA, someone gets the idea to go for everything.

We have had the talks to try and convey that you don't go for everything at once to no avail. My question is this. How can I make an app that is a longshot at best, work a little better. This will be the 3rd grant we have applied for. So far, we are 50/50 with a grant for a brush/quick attack being granted in 2004 and SCBA's being denied in 2005.

As far as the SCBA units go, we are running scott 2.2 2216 aluminum bottled units w/o pass devices built in. Some newer units, however we run into trouble on the compatibility front. Compressor upgrad to go from 4500 to 6000psi. Compressor used by several departments at the present time. Upgrade will increase cascade system effectiveness. Would we be better off to try and upgrade the airpacks or go for new. Our current units do not have the integrated pass, nor do they meet the current standarsd. The air handling system is just the status quo. Diesel is bad. System to remove the diesel is good.

enough rambling......Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ryan

Ryan,
    It sounds like too many chefs spoiling the sauce here. I would first recommend that you donwload this document. It is the program guidance from AFG however; I have color-coded it and annotated it with notes which make it far, far easier to understand "completely" by highlighting the "priorities, higher preferences and subtle nuances" that everyone misses when you read it in "Federalese".

After reading it closely you should have a much better understanding of the program and be able to make a case for what I would think you need to do and that would be to take care of the safety of your firefighters first and foremost.

If your SCBAs are in excess of 10 years of age, which I believe they are, you would be asking for the highest priority that is afforded in the program and that is PPE. The primary purpose of AFG is to "enhance firefighter safety" and that of the public. You can't enhance the safety of the public without first assuring that your firefighters are safely and propelry equipped to rescue the public so, in essence, your fireifghter's safety MUST come first and foremost.

Read this and see if this helps you out. If after reading it you need additonal help PM me or go to my website and click the box that says "click here for free grant help" and I will be glad to help you out. Here is the link:

http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/20...tAnnotated.pdf
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Our department succesfully wrote a grant for plymovent, and SCBA's. If your willing to share your successful brush truck grant, we would be happy to share our's with you. e-mail me directly and we will see what we can do.
    johnemt76@yahoo.com

Thanks

Thread Information