Forum Member

Angry NY's illustrious newspapers

From one of our illustrious rags, the NY Post.

March 14, 2006 -- Hero emergency medical technician Wendi Ireland carries a precious package yesterday - a 6-month-old baby girl who'd been plucked from her family's burning apartment building on Staten Island.
    As Ireland and fellow EMT Martin Finkelstein got to the two-alarm blaze at 220 Osgood Ave, baby Sierra, covered in ash, was in the arms of a firefighter climbing down a ladder from the top of the six-story building.

"I went straight to the baby," said Ireland, who has two years on the job and works with 20-year vet Finkelstein out of FDNY Battalion 22. "She was responsive, crying, but covered in ash and soot. Thank God she didn't have any burns."

Just over an hour later, Sierra was smiling and playful as Ireland and Finkelstein handed her over to her grateful aunt and uncle, who accompanied the child in an ambulance to Staten Island University Hospital.

Four people were injured, none seriously. The cause is under investigation.

"We checked with the hospital later to make sure she was all right, and she is - and that makes our day even better," Ireland said.

Its a great story about the two EMTs. But what about the firemen who actually made the grab to save the kids life? Bloomturd and his cronies must be at it again. (And before anyone gives me grief about it maybe just being an oversite, at the 5th alarm in Queens yesterday, a cop got yelled at by an NYPD boss for not having his conference area in front of the FDNY's. At this same 5th alarm, the news stations reported that " POLICE and fire crews were battling a 5th alarm fire.)
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl

.....At this same 5th alarm, the news stations reported that " POLICE and fire crews were battling a 5th alarm fire.)

Hey, maybe the they were shooting at the fire.....dunno.....could happen.

A little scuffle occured a few days ago someplace in the 7th Division. Cops wouldn't let FD down the block to force a door for EMS. The PD boss stated that ESU was on the way and they didn't want FD, a few minutes later, ESU finally showed up........I just don't get it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB

A little scuffle occured a few days ago someplace in the 7th Division. Cops wouldn't let FD down the block to force a door for EMS. The PD boss stated that ESU was on the way and they didn't want FD, a few minutes later, ESU finally showed up........I just don't get it.
    And they say we aren't busy enough! It must be pretty bad if ESU is trying to justify their existance by doing the work of the rubbermen.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    And they say we aren't busy enough! It must be pretty bad if ESU is trying to justify their existance by doing the work of the rubbermen.

FTM-PTB

That's what's so wierd about it. Up by us, we work really well with the Cops and ESU. They had a problem 10 years ago, when ESU was hooked up to a hydrant pouring water through a window, but since then no problems at all, until this. This time, it was a street boss, not ESU, they weren't even there yet. I would think that would be a juciy headline, "Cops delay firefighters and EMS while person dies" news at 11...........but I doubt it will ever happen. The only one that loses is the pt.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB
    This happened here a couple years ago. Cops decided to "shotgun ventilate" windows during an apartment fire.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

PD made a daring dash in to the burning Queens store(s) to save 423 packages of Twinkies.

Cop was yelled at by boss for not saving coffee.. Twinkies are lonely when eaten alone...

MembersZone Subscriber

(Crown Heights-WABC, March 13, 2006) - Two police officers were shot, but saved by their bulletproof vests, when they responded to a dispute in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn this morning.

Eyewitness News has learned the officers rushed to 834 Halsey Street after firefighters, there to put out a kitchen fire, got into a dispute with a resident, just after 3:15 a.m. The firefighters had been threatened by a resident when they arrived to put out the fire.
    According to police when the officers, assigned to the 81st Precinct, arrived, they confronted the suspect, armed with a knife. During a struggle with the suspect, shots were fired, hitting both officers.

The above is what goes on day in and day out in NYC. Police officers and firefighters placing themselves in harms way often side by side. Nothing more, nothing less.

Forum Member

No doubt Lou.....Its venting out of fustration. We want to go do our job while that .1% A-hole holds you back. We have a great repor w/ the cops and ESU in our area, as does everyone else. Its things like what happened at that EMS box that make me say WTF?!?!?!? And, no there was no underlying circumstance that should have made them wait. It was the fact that someone didn't want to sit on a door....which is BS. I hope it was only an isolated case.

Forum Member

Lou, wasnt trying to knock the cops. (If it came off like that, I apologize) We get along great with the cops in our area. My problem is the retards running (ruining) the city, trying to create scandal when there isnt, and trying to downplay what the FD does because of some ridiculous childish hatred. There are just too many of these "coincidences" to not be considered something larger.

Forum Member

FDNY "Divide and conquer" NYPD.

Bloombergs perfect plan.........

Forum Member

Our NBC station was reporting the other day that the police battled an all hands box and made several rescues. Not a single mention of the FD in the whole damn story. Except of course for all the pics of the FF humping line and overhauling.

And didnt you know, its not who gets the people out, its who gets their pic tacken with the survivor.

Besides, its was just a brother doing his job. The EMT is the real hero. She ran right up and cleaned the baby off with a damp cloth. Why didnt our brother think of that.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Not for nothing but unless your one of those people who is a glory rider and wants to make the front page of the news (see ie: wacker) then who cares what the press says in regards to whom makes saves.

You shouldn't do the job for that.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Not for nothing but unless your one of those people who is a glory rider and wants to make the front page of the news (see ie: wacker) then who cares what the press says in regards to whom makes saves.

I was pointing these issues out because of the media's insistance on putting us in a bad light constantly, while other things go unnoticed. This has nothing to do with us being "whackers" or glory hounds, as you put it. A Son of a fireman gets arrested around here, and its front page news because his father is a FF. But a fireman makes a grab, and its hardly mentioned. This thread was started to show how NYs media is controlled (or atleast helped along) by a certain jackass running the city, who has a grudge against firemen. No one here is looking for glory.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 03-15-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Forum Member

yes i am sure the mayor writes all the articles and eddits them also.

why didnt you just say you had a political agenda at the start of this thread.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Forum Member

Geez, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.........Grow up...if you dont like the thread, no one is forcing you to read it.....

This thread was supposed to be about our ongoing problems with the media not whether you think I have some "political agenda". Sorry, but not liking my mayor is not a political agenda.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 03-15-2006 at 01:13 PM.

Forum Member

If I am not mistaken you are the one who jumped all over my post just because I don't agree.

Grow up...if you dont like the thread, no one is forcing you to read it.....
    Same for you, if you don't expect someone to respond to a thread you start that may not agree with you, then don't start them.
    Last edited by BFDNJFF; 03-15-2006 at 02:32 PM.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Forum Member

nothing like hijacking a perfectly good thread

Same for you, if you don't expect someone to respond to a thread you start that may not agree with you, then don't start them.
    Disagreeing with something I posted is one thing. If you think that the NY papers do a great job of covering all the good things the FDNY does, then say so. But calling us whackers or glory hounds isnt disagreeing, its childish.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 03-15-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF
    Actually.....1 PP does......I posted how it works in another thread. I think he is looking for a fair share of smear and praise.

BTW anyone catch the story about the sanitation worker, and the CO? Good job to both.....that's taking initiative.

Forum Member

BTW anyone catch the story about the sanitation worker, and the CO? Good job to both.....that's taking initiative.
    Got a link to the stories?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    Got a link to the stories?
    Can't find the one about the Sanitation workers though.....

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/65326.htm
    Last edited by VinnieB; 03-15-2006 at 08:31 PM.

Forum Member

why didnt you just say you had a political agenda at the start of this thread.

Well, if you must know, One of Bloombergs major companies is Bloomberg News. His compnay collects all the stories and sells them to the papers, including NYC papers. Ever wonder why the daily news and post articles are identical? Just thoguth you should know? Where are you from again?

Forum Member

Unless you are a complete wide eyed innocent you should be very concerned as to how the press covers you and your department. That is the publics main source of information and insight into what we do for them. If you let them downplay your role in emergencies, then don't look for much suppot from the mis informed public.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Default 4th

Did you catch the Sun-Times a few weeks ago when they wrote about Battallion Chiefs and the amount of overtime they worked? Fran (city mouthpiece) Spielman thought it would be cute to name one of the chiefs (16th) and how much money he made working overtime. Completely irrelevant to the story and it looked like the chief was doing something wrong. Like it was his fault the city was short B.C.'s.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Media coverage is important as Chicago stated.

We have a similiar problem here as we, and many of the other surburban departments are ignored by the local media. Just last Tuesday we had a 3 alarm structure fire which spread to a 5 acre plus brush fire threatening 2 exposures and it made neither the paper or any of the TV news, however they had the time to cover a 1-alarm garage fire in Shreveport. The next day we had a significant fire at a pallet manufacturing facility, and once again, nothing. Finally on Firday we had a 30 plus acre brush fire with smoke that was visable from the major interstate and we made a 10 second blurb on one of the local channels while a CAR fire in Bossier had a 1 minute video segment.

I realize that we are a whooping 10 minutes from the city and all that gas may break thier budget, but at times it gets discouraging as it would be nice for everyone in our community to know the job we do.

Forum Member

For many departments the idea of bad press is absurd. I know many departments that friends volunteer for that dont care one way or another if they get that "good press" since they dont depend on public opinion when it comes to contracts. For career departments, it is VERY IMPORTANT that the public sees them in a good light. Dont be blind to the fact that major media outlets are influenced by politicians. Writers want that "inside scoop" which they get from their politician friends and as such they tend to write stories that benefit the politicians. Story after story one way or another often influences the public and when it comes time to arbitration hearings, public opinion is a major factor once the politicians starts crying poor mouth. Take our city for example. The same paper included articles about how the city has developed a budget surplus of 167 million while just a page later the city was crying poor mouth and arguing that they need to close 3 engines and 2 ladders in order to save 3.2 million. Citizens that like the PFD will tend to remember the 167 million surplus while citizens that dont like the PFD will tend to remember the city crying poor mouth and thier need to save 3.2 million.

Its ALL about public opinion and the media controls that. You may not see the bigger picture, but that doesnt mean thats not the way it happens.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Thread Information