1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    121

    Default Clothing allowance?

    If you get a clothing allowance from the department what are you allowed to buy? I've run into a problem with my chief regarding recent purchases.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    HeavyRescueTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    at my former combination department, I believe the career staff were allowed to purchase anything they wanted with the money. past expenditures included leather helmets, leather boots, job shirts, t-shirts and of course, uniforms.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

    FF/EMT/DBP

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1,017

    Default

    My FD gives a clothing allowance to all union members. No limitations on what the member can buy-boots, shirts, or a trip to the casino.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    We get a clothing check twice a year. I usually buy booze with mine.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,761

    Default

    The members can exercise 1 of 2 options; go to the uniform store and charge it to their clothing allowance or recieve a check twice a year. The clothing allawance is to pruchase unifroms such as pants, shirts, rubens, inspection jackets etc. (PPE is issued by department) Can order from catalogs also; as long as it's fire related it's not usually an issue.

    The ones that opt for checks obviously can spend it on what they want, no one will know.

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onebugle
    The members can exercise 1 of 2 options; go to the uniform store and charge it to their clothing allowance or recieve a check twice a year. The clothing allawance is to pruchase unifroms such as pants, shirts, rubens, inspection jackets etc.....
    Cool, they sell corned beef sandwichs at your uniform store? I'd shop there every day!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    735

    Default

    We get 2 checks. One is a maintenance and the other is a new purchase. They are suppose to be spent on uniforms. Most guys probably spend them on other things. Over the course of the year, I would bet atleast half the guys do spend the amount on uniforms. We have yearly uniform inspections prior to the release of the checks.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Thanks guys, we are a small union of 10, we are given a clothing allowance of $650 a year. All purchases have to be submitted to the chief. In the past we have been able to purchase pretty much anything job related. I recently purchased a Streamlight Vulcan. My chief told me he didn't think that it wasn't an apropriate purchase with my allowance and refused to refund me. The catch is that 3 others members of the union have purchased the same light from the same place last fall. The Chief has been singleing my out for things ever since i said no to a EMT-I class he asked me to take. Needless to say after speaking with my union president, who then spoke with the Chief my light is getting paid for but we now need to make up a list of appropriate items to be purchased with the money. I feel that we should be able to purchase anything job related, what is your feeling on this?

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UFDFF15
    Thanks guys, we are a small union of 10, we are given a clothing allowance of $650 a year. All purchases have to be submitted to the chief. In the past we have been able to purchase pretty much anything job related. I recently purchased a Streamlight Vulcan. My chief told me he didn't think that it wasn't an apropriate purchase with my allowance and refused to refund me. The catch is that 3 others members of the union have purchased the same light from the same place last fall. The Chief has been singleing my out for things ever since i said no to a EMT-I class he asked me to take. Needless to say after speaking with my union president, who then spoke with the Chief my light is getting paid for but we now need to make up a list of appropriate items to be purchased with the money. I feel that we should be able to purchase anything job related, what is your feeling on this?
    Anthing that can prove to be job related should be approved... of course, there will be the jerks who will "push the envelope"...

    We can either buy uniforms from the approved vendors, or we can submit the receipts for purchases, such as socks, underwear, athletic shoes for workouts, or if we want to upgrade out PPe to leather lids and boots, additonal lights, etc.etc. Other departments in my area have a similar policy

    One firefighter I know submitted a slip that included a dress for his wife. Chief saiad he would approve it, but only if the firefighter would wear the dress to work! This guy then approached his group steward and union president to file a grieveance about the clothing allowance...

    They laughed him out of the office!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    pvfire424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kansas City Mo
    Posts
    667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    One firefighter I know submitted a slip that included a dress for his wife. Chief saiad he would approve it, but only if the firefighter would wear the dress to work! This guy then approached his group steward and union president to file a grieveance about the clothing allowance...

    They laughed him out of the office!

    Ya know Cap. , you'd think if he had the balls to ask for it , he would have the balls to wear that thing in to work.

    Quote Originally Posted by UFDFF15
    ...ever since i said no to a EMT-I class he asked me to take.
    Just curious, why did you refuse to take this class ?
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pvfire424
    Just curious, why did you refuse to take this class ?
    There are many reasons, The main one is the fact that the Chief expects 4 I's to be the entire ALS program for the department, so if one is out sick/vacation/etc., one of the other 3 would have to fill in and the other 3(other than myself) all have children and would refuse and that would be me(lowest in seniority) would be forced to work.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    pvfire424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kansas City Mo
    Posts
    667

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by UFDFF15
    There are many reasons, The main one is the fact that the Chief expects 4 I's to be the entire ALS program for the department, so if one is out sick/vacation/etc., one of the other 3 would have to fill in and the other 3(other than myself) all have children and would refuse and that would be me(lowest in seniority) would be forced to work.

    Who's to say that he takes the class, that he is guaranteed to pass the Registry test?

    That way, he fulfills the chief's wish, but for whatever reason, was not able to pass the registry test, and therefore cannot work as an "I".
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    121

    Default

    if they do not reach the I within a year they need to pay the town the cost of the class, but they all just ook the the test and passed.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    pvfire424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kansas City Mo
    Posts
    667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UFDFF15
    if they do not reach the I within a year they need to pay the town the cost of the class, but they all just ook the the test and passed.

    Ahhh, well at least the decision not to take the class becomes more clear.


    So just to get it strait, The chief wanted you to take a class that is directly related to your job, but wouldn't pay for it? if you didnt pass.

    That just doesnt add up! That being said, I would agree with not taking the class.
    Last edited by pvfire424; 03-21-2006 at 10:34 AM.
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Turn-out gear decontamination
    By lmolmo in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 12:17 AM
  2. HOUSTON walked away from this contract
    By Firewalker1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 01:34 AM
  3. SOP's for Volunteer FD
    By rumlfire in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 11:35 PM
  4. how much do you get for uniform allowance or clothing allowance?
    By HeavyRescueTech in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 03:20 PM
  5. Thermal Imaging SOG's
    By wtfd92 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-27-2001, 09:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register