MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lost my Narrative

Needed--one computer geek. Here's the deal....
    I typed up two paragraphs of background info at the office, saved it, e-mailed it to my comcast account. Came home, opened my e-mail through comcast's web main (didn't open outlook), opened the attached word document and started typing...thoughts and notes became three hours worth of words, sentences and cohesive concept. Every few minutes i hit the "floppy disk" icon in Word toolbar to save the document. Got the narrative 2/3 finished, clicked the icon twice to be sure...and closed word.

Opened comcast mail on the web to e-mail the updated narrative to my office....could not find it!!!!!! Did a variety of searches including looking for files updated in the last week, .doc files, you name it--no luck. I'm thinking that since i never did the File, Save As, etc thing in word that it my have just saved it to wherever the comcast mail resides on the web. It has to be somewhere, Word closed without asking if i wanted to save my work. (It's not on the list of recent files in Word--File or in my recent files folder either.)

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great. Always look for the document before you close the word processor or spreadsheet. If it's gone, at least i had a great practice session!! And...i'll get a second chance to make a first impression!!!!
    earl

Forum Member

were you using a word processing progam like microsoft word or was this being typed up on the email?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Did you check the Temporary Internet Files directory? If you open a file from a web site it goes in there. The chain starts:

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\

This is the same way to save pictures from web pages that people have disabled the right-click function on. That as in WinXP just putting your mouse over and then waiting for the mini-menu bar to pop up and Save.

Nerds. Everyone needs one.

MembersZone Subscriber

FF2230--I was using Microsoft Word 2003. Opened the file as an e-mail attachment, worked it, and saved several times by clicking the "save" icon in the Word toolbar. Never did a "File, Save As..."

Brian--Great idea. No luck, but a great idea anyway. I'm thinking it saved to http/mailcenter.comcast.net.....and i'm writing it off for now. The next version will be quicker and better.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!!
    earl

Forum Member

It's in that temp files folder Brian was talking about, but it won't be there as an easily recognized name. When you open it through email/internet it gets it's own unique temporary name. Sort the view on the folder by date and you will most likely see it, but named something unrecognizable. Go by the date/time you know you last saved it.

Comcast does not allow you to open and save documents on their sites.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thanks Bones, forgot to mention that. It still will be a .doc extension, but yeah, the filename is just a bunch of junk.

Forum Member

sometimes recently opened documents are listed under File. So you might try to open word and click File and it might have it listed there. If not i'll agree with brian and bones.

Forum Member

there may be a file titled OLK see if you can find it

MembersZone Subscriber

Earl, I feel for you. Seems as though we discussed that in class. Murphy's law will get you everytime. Save it to a CD or thumbdrive and take it home with you next time. Hoep you find it buddy!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

It should have prompted you when you hit the floppy disc unless you opened a different file first. Check your drop down list for the most recent files and start opening them. You might have saved over something else on accident.

You should also check "My Documents folder" thats the default save path.

Forum Member

Try clicking in start ans select search...for files and folders

Enter "OLK" without the quotes. you should get one or more folder which start with OLK. Look through them and see if you file is there.

Another way to search is leave file name empty and under search options select date. Set the start date and stop date for the day you worked on the file.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Try clicking in start and select search...for files and folders

Enter "OLK" without the quotes. you should get one or more folders which start with OLK. Look through them and see if your file is there.

Another way to search is leave file name empty and under search options select date. Set the start date and stop date for the day you worked on the file.

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Found!!!!!

Thanks for all of your help and ideas. No "OLK" found. Couldn't see anything in the temp files. Long story short...i finally did a search with the beginning of the file name, and had the good sense to go the advanced options and click the check box to include "hidden files and folders". Found a shortcut created at 9:59 pm last night, clicked it....(drum roll)....and there it was!! I immediately saved it to the desktop, twice using different names. E-mailed it to my wife who opened it on her computer before i closed Word.

Again, what a relief!! While all the suggestions were good, the morale support was awesome. If y'all were here--i'd hug ya. Fortunately, none of you are here--gonna go find a substitute!!
    earl

Forum Member

You know NW Indiana really isn't THAT far of a drive. I enjoy a good hug.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2
    You know NW Indiana really isn't THAT far of a drive. I enjoy a good hug.
    As the Rainman would say "Too far, definitely too far"

And Tom Cruise replied--"Did you fart Ray?"

earl

Forum Member

Uhhh oh...uhhhh oh fart

Thread Information