MembersZone Subscriber

Default More train wrecks in Southern Illinois

Yet another Candian National derailment..This one is just north of DuQuoin, which is maybe 10 miles from the big one in Tamaroa, on the same set of tracks. I don't have any real details as of yet. Sulfuric acid is apparantly what's involved this time, I don't think its leaking however.

DJ
    Last edited by DjInferno; 03-15-2006 at 11:24 AM.

Forum Member

Thats unfortunate. We had a few derails within a month here a while back. Nothing but grain (thankfully).

MembersZone Subscriber

No, not leaking, but it is upside down or on its side. Either way the manway is in the dirt. I know a few hours ago they were in the process of righting it.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=93720

Here's the story as of right now, with 1 pic.

DJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Its been righted at this time, and it is not leaking.

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw Lt. Sargent from MVFD on the 5:00 news on channel 5.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sargent, Gossett, Carr, and Grosskopf, were the Techs from MVFD there, Sargent was actually made IC. Gosset was the Haz Mat Branch Officer, Carr and Grosskopf were suited in level A's in case of a breach, and supported by the Jackson Co. Amb Haz Mat crew, Techs and Ops.

No breach of the tank but alot of concern as it was a single wall neoprene lined tank.

Great job by everyone involved, ESDA, Sherriff, DuQuoin Police, IEMA, Red Cross, Railway. Hope I didn't forget anyone. Shows what good teamwork can accomplish.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

MG,
    With that crew, you're lucky things didn't go to hell in a hurry! Seriously. glad things went OK. For those of you that don't know, MVFD has some good preparation for haz-mat incidents. Southern Illinois is lucky to have them! Way to go L-2429!

To MVFD guys......how is the Milano Project going? If he name drops me, tell him I don't claim him...

MembersZone Subscriber

He's doing great Mike! Its nice to have someone in the same boat as me. Plus now I have someone to study streets with! He really seems to like it so far too from what he has told me. He's on my platoon now (platoon 2). I think the 2+ years I've filled him on about gettin his medic kinda freaks him out, but I'm sure he will do fine when the time comes. Come to think of it, the year I've got left kinda freaks me out...I need to get back to studyin!
    DJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Project Milano is doing just fine, I'm on Dj and his platoon now also. Seems like a good eager guy, he has done just fine with me on calls so far.

Also an update on the derailment, I have it unconfirmed at thhis point but I trust my source, Canadian National off loaded the sulfuric acid and then inspected the damaged rail tanker.

They found that all of the valves had been destroyed and the only thing that saved a major spill was that the soft ground and mud packed everything solid and prevented a release. I'll try to confirm it as soon as I can.

So at least all that rain was good for something.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

It also hasn't been mentioned that CN worked on the track the day before, replacing ties on that same set of rails. I've heard it was a broken rail that caused the wreck, but why didn't the crews catch it the day before, or did the rail break while the train fell of the tracks? One would think the tracks would be in good shape after a relacement project, wouldn't you?
    By the way, the tie replacers are headed my way and we've got 12 miles of their track in our district. Keeping our fingers, toes, etc. crossed.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

As long as they dont drop a load of coal on top of me when I am passing underneath, I wont be too worried traveling down 57 next month. Here's a bit of trivia. The same tracks pass about one half block from where I live.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    As long as they dont drop a load of coal on top of me when I am passing underneath, I wont be too worried traveling down 57 next month. Here's a bit of trivia. The same tracks pass about one half block from where I live.
    Remember that last year that very thing happened. Do you wear your helmet when you go under RRs now?
    That means I'll have to watch you wave when you go by again? Actually, I can see I57 from where I work now. If it's between 9&5 when you go by I probably could see you.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Jack, mentioning the track repair got me thinking. CSX is ready to replace ties and the crossing on Rt 51 beginning next week or so. This track runs east-west right through the middle of town. Uggh!

DJ and ltffp91, just remember if the Milano Project goes well, it was because of the highly intelligent, knowledgeable training officer he had in Sandoval.
    If if goes bad, it's because I couldn't teach the dummy anything beacuse his head was filled with cobwebs!
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Just cause new ties are going in doesnt mean the rails are replaced. We can get a busted rail due to weather, heavy ladings or just plain old Mr. Murphy.
    Most bridges have guardrails on them ( between the rails) so that if you drop a car on the ground youll have it ride the ties and hopefully stay sunny side up.Granted its a sickening feeling to be cruising along at 60 plus and the locomotive rocks side to side and you look in the mirror to see the reporting marks of the coal cars behind you visible ( the ones on the end of the car!)
    Now that being said I hope you guys in CSX and CN land can keep them up off the ground.My road isnt too bad ( granted its just Mr Murphy somedays that throws a wrench under the wheels) but we have had a few lately but nothing major.
    Always remember some key safety tips. Those locomotives are just gigantic generators so check with the engineer before spraying water at them. The conductor will have the manifest so get it from him and have him show you where the bad stuff is ( also ask if the y have changed the consist at all) and will also have MSDS sheets. Stay safe dont step on the rail but over it as well. Hurts like hell from the looks of it when you slip and your shin hits the railhead.

Thread Information