Thread: Response

Forum Member

Default Response

My department, along with the 99.9% of my surrounding departments use downgraded response codes such as level 2 (lights only) and level 1 (no emergency warning devices, obey all traffic laws). As you all probably know, Jersey Title 39 states that all (lights and sirens) or nothing when responding to calls. Just curious on how everybody else works when it comes to a down graded response and responding just lights, or if you even do it. I am a police officer and I am well aware that there is a bunch of crap within title 39 and half of it is out dated, but unfortunately if you are involved in an accident and you don’t have your siren on, your screwed. Just curious on how everyone runs…..

Forum Member

Exclamation

LIGHTS AND SIRENS ALL THE WAY! Even when told not to!

MembersZone Subscriber

Huh? Sometimes I read stuff on this board that just makes me think I'm going to pass out.

Emergency - Use your lights and siren. Non-emergency - travel like every other vehicle with NO lights and NO siren

I don't understand the thought process of lights only and I certainly don't understand how you can justify a hot response for every response.

Forum Member

We run lights on all calls, sirens only when needed. When our response is stepped down, lights may remain on but no sirens. Some guys turn the lights off as well. Then again, our longest response is a whopping 1 mile.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

BC Law also requires all or nothing. You cannot run lights only.

We used to use our lights for code 2 responses, but have since changed the SOG after much legal opinion in recent years.

I have found that with lights only, people do still tend to accomodate you, and that leads most operators to contravene the traffic act without realizing the risk they are taking.

i.e. You are lights only, and approach an intersection. All traffic sees you and stops. The light is red, but since you think you have been given the right of way you proceed.

If you were involved in a T/C or MVI in this scenario, regardless of whether you hit or got hit, you would be completely screwed as "You" clearly broke the law.

If we run code 2 today, it is non-emergency, no lights, no siren, and with traffic. If time is that important, you should be code three with all devices operating.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTFDNJ
    WHY ?

Where do you see a need to run lights and siren to every call received ? -- 75% of the calls for service handled by Fire Companies really aren't emergencies. -- Sure they may seem like emergencies to those who called 9-1-1 but seriously. -- Comments like LIGHTS AND SIRENS ALL THE WAY ! Even when told not to! is only a recepie for an accident.

Can someone explain to me what is so facinating about lights and sirens
    Last edited by BD6413; 03-20-2006 at 04:24 PM.

Forum Member

Lights and sirens for all responses, downgraded only a a fire department unit on scene. downgrading means no lights no sirens.

there is no lights only response. if your lights are on your sirens are one.

side note: This doesn't mean leaning on the Q2B and the air horn at 3am when there is no one else on the road. but at intersections and traffic lights, an audible device should be sounded.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

It's all or nothing...If the lights are on while responding, so is the siren! Always! It's the law.

We also always us the lights when we park at a scene. Every bit if visibility for a parked unit we can get, we use.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Permanently Removed

Thumbs down

I hate to say it but some people on my department are here just to play with the lights and sirens. I shake my head at these people.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTVFDNJ
    I hate to say it but some people on my department are here just to play with the lights and sirens. I shake my head at these people.
    ...And I'll bet their the same idiots that swear by the all mighty blue lights on the POV ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Down goes Frazier!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
    Proud member of the IACOJ.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you....

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

Forum Member

late at night our code 3 response is lights only unless we need sirens to clear an intersection or a vehicle out of the way.

Forum Member

In our NJ town we'll run lights and sirens all calls but with prudence for speed depending on the call. If an officer is on scene and states "units respond with caution" it is just a downgraded response but still lights and sirens, just not "hurrying" to get there.
    Piscataway Fire Dist #2
    Possumtown V.F.C.

Thread Information