MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Peppers... Getcher Peppers. Fresh Hot Peppers

Good for more than just spraying into your assailent's eyes.

Scorched mouth, but healthy prostate. By Jennifer Harper
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES March 16, 2006

Gentlemen, eat your chili peppers. Habanero, jalapeno, Scotch bonnet -- those hot but tasty varieties of the capsicum frutescens have multiple health benefits -- including the ability to drive prostate cancer cells to kill themselves, researchers announced yesterday.

According to a team from the University of California at Los Angeles and Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, the hot stuff in peppers -- capsaicin -- caused 80 percent of active prostate cancer cells growing in mice to "follow the molecular pathways leading to apoptosis," or cell death.

The cancer cells literally committed suicide. What's more, the cancer tumors of the mice treated with a hot pepper extract were one-fifth the size of untreated mice.

"Capsaicin had a profound anti-proliferative effect on human prostate cancer cells in culture," said Dr. Soren Lehmann. "It also dramatically slowed the development of prostate tumors formed by those human cell lines grown in mouse models."

What does this mean in the kitchen? Tex-Mex or curry fans are in luck: the hotter the pepper, the more the benefit. According to Dr. Lehmann, the mice were fed a dose of pepper extract equivalent to what a normal man might consume -- 400 milligrams of extract three times a week. That amount translates to three to eight fresh habanero peppers.

Medically speaking, capsaicin inhibited the action of NF-kappa Beta, a substance found in cells that causes them to grow out of control. Capsaicin also regulates certain proteins that effect the growth of the cells.

"Increased concentrations of capsaicin caused more prostate cancer cells to freeze in a non-proliferative state," according to the study.

American men develop prostate cancer more than any other type of malignancy -- 232,000 new cases are diagnosed in the United States annually; 30,000 men die of prostate cancer in the United States each year.

Hot peppers have received accolades from researchers in recent years for their antioxidant, or cancer-fighting, effects. Anti-inflammatory properties in peppers have been tapped for treatment of migraines, arthritis and muscle pain. Hot peppers also have been found to suppress appetites and clear a stuffy head; they can aggravate existing heartburn but not cause it.

They are a good source of vitamins A, C and E, folic acid and potassium. Peppers are low in calories and sodium and contain no carbohydrates. Their taste has spawned numerous appreciation societies around the world, not to mention global competitions to determine the hottest variety on the planet.

Still, the chili pepper came under fire in a 2002 Yale University report that established a link between the hot pods and stomach cancer in Mexican workers who ate from 9 to 25 jalapenos a day. The claim has been disputed by other researchers who found that rates of stomach cancer declined in the United States -- though consumption of salsa, chili and other hot foods actually had increased
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

My prostate ought to be good for another 100 years ...I eat TONS of hot and super hot stuff. I have for years. I have a fridge full of peppers and hot sauces that I use regularly.
    The guys at work think I'm nuts! (They might be right!)

Kevin
    Last edited by fireman4949; 03-16-2006 at 01:12 PM.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

The guys at work thing I'm nuts! (They might be right!)
    LOL I tend to not bother about things I am pretty sure of
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Default chili

Maybe I should market my chili as a health food for the prostate gland and a cancer cure becuase not much will survive the heat.

Forum Member

How, exactly, are the peppers applied?

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LEWTFL
    How, exactly, are the peppers applied?
    Sauted, fried, simmered, diced, sliced, baked. minced... LOL

I do my own version of chicken and steak fajitas at the firehouse... I add jalapeno and habenero peppers to the mix...anyone within the kitchen area has their eyes watering in minutes.....

wimps!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Pooping fire for a few minutes versus prostate cancer ok I will continue to eat habanero peppers...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Thread Information