Forum Member

Default Hope This Is Allowed Here

Hello,

( Moderators If This Is Not Allowed Please Remove )

I am looking for reviews on the TK-760G High Power 45 Watt VHF Radio. I am in need of one also if someone has one for sell I can provide references from ebay if that is needed.

Once again Mods if Its not allowed please remove.

Forum Member

Radio discussion has always been a topic on here so I wouldn't worry.

The 760G is a fine radio. There is nothing defunct about it and it is quite simple to operate. The question must be asked though, what are you going to use it for and in what vehicle?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default Radio

The radio will be installed in my POV with permission from the chief of the department. We are on the 150's range frequency and I don't want to use some cheap ham radio being thats illegal anyway when I can get a legal radio to use on both ham and public safety frequencies.

I am looking on just getting a Antenex 5/8 Wave and mounting it on my truck bed.

NMFIRE, If you have any suggestions as to antenna recommendation or know where I can get one of them used radios please point me in the right direction

Thats for anyone that can help me also.

Forum Member

Oh it will be perfect for that. I wouldn't install it on a pump panel but for your own POV, it would be just fine. It is a breeze to install. Just make sure you get a "G" model if you are looking for a used model.

For the antenna, the 5/8" wave would be fine. I would recomend an L-Bracket next to the hood or in the truck bed. Places I shop online for antenna stuff are http://shop.waltel.com and http://www.rfwiz.com

Forum Member

Well...

I would rather have the 45 Watt Model has 25W just doesn't seem to be all that sufficient for me.... Yes I know its 20 more watts but I just like that extra little security for having that extra 20 watts.

Is Waltel Shut down all I get is an email address when I click the link and they no longer have anything on their ebay site anymore?????

IACOJ BOD

Just a wee tip for you on antenna placement on a vehicle.

Due to the effect of the large metal thing your are attaching it to, it gives a better all round reception if the antenna is mounted as close to central as possible.

It is a wee thing called "ground effect", essentially you imagine large lobes travelling out from the metal mass the antenna is on.

obviously those forward and back lobes will be longer than the side lobes.

Now if the antenna is mounted on the front, you get good side reception, great rear reception, and average front reception.

Strange but true.

The 25W radio will outperform the 45W with one little trick.

Find out the average frequency you are using and work out the 1/2 wave length for that frequency, ensure your antenna coax is cut exactly to this length or multiples of it. You now have a maximised system.

If 1/2 length is to much drop down, 1/4, 1/8 etc.

Then, put a splitter box at a point on the coax and run TWO cables, one to each side of your truck behind the cab.

Mount a 1/4 wave length antenna on either side and using an SWR meter, tune them together for maximum signal strength.

Doing this many years ago, I was able to normally send / recieve from over 60 miles with a 2 Watt CB radio.

Doing it on a 20 Watt unit I have one word of caution, DO NOT transmit parked close to other emergency vehicles, you can seriously damage peoples hearing with the noise it will make.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Kiwi, that sounds like a recipe for something Cheffie could make
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Trying to co-phase antennas and mess with coax lengths is so not worth the effort, especially for someone that isn't a radio geek. There is a lot more to it than most CB radio shops make of it. For that matter, 25 watts vs 45 watts is a negligable if anything at all difference. I would be willing to be I could switch them in the middle of the night and nobody would notice.

Thread Information