Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What do we call the movie, "Miracle on Dirt?"

Adios, Team USA
    Clemens absorbs loss as Mexico throws three-hitter
    Posted: Thursday March 16, 2006 10:22PM; Updated: Thursday March 16, 2006 10:47PM

Roger Clemens has said he's leaning toward retirement after the World Baseball Classic.
    AP

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Roger Clemens was a loser in what might have been the final start of his outstanding career, and Mexico eliminated Team USA from the World Baseball Classic.

Oliver Perez and seven relievers combined to pitch a three-hitter Thursday night as Mexico beat the Rocket and the United States 2-1, giving Japan another shot at Korea in the WBC semifinals.

The outcome was a stunner, considering Team USA fielded a lineup loaded with All-Stars even without Derrek Lee and Johnny Damon, sidelined with sore left shoulders.

South Korea had a 3-0 second-round record in Group One, with Team USA, Japan and Mexico all going 1-2. Japan earned the second semifinal berth from the group by allowing the fewest runs in games between the tied teams.

Japan, which has already lost twice to South Korea in the Classic, faces its archrival in Saturday's opening semifinal game at Petco Park in San Diego, with the Dominican Republic meeting Cuba on Saturday night. The winners play Monday night for the championship.

Clemens, who has won 341 games and struck out 4,502 batters in his big league career, has said he's leaning toward retirement after the Classic. He wasn't at his best against Mexico, allowing six hits and two runs in 4 1-3 innings with no walks and four strikeouts. He threw 73 pitches -- seven below the maximum for the second round.

Forum Member

One of the guys here at work wants to go with "Alamo II, Montezuma's Revenge"

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

ROF-LMAO
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by manofire2
    Montezuma's Revenge"
    I think that's what happens if you drink the water!

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Someone should set this story/team as the first "hit" when you post "failure" on google!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire
    Someone should set this story/team as the first "hit" when you post "failure" on google!
    The biography of George W. Bush already holds that distinct honor. I'm not kidding. Try it yourself.

As for the title of the movie, "Multi-Million Dollar Babies"

Oh well, at least we didn't lose to (insert small frozen country here)
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey

Oh well, at least we didn't lose to (insert small frozen country here)
    Not sure what country you may be referring to. I suspect it may be Canada because we are probably the only country enterred that would be worthy of the term "Frozen" But if that's the case, you did in fact lose to Canada in the opening round. Canada then lost to Mexico as well.

Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Quote Originally Posted by manofire2
    Not sure what country you may be referring to. I suspect it may be Canada because we are probably the only country enterred that would be worthy of the term "Frozen" But if that's the case, you did in fact lose to Canada in the opening round. Canada then lost to Mexico as well.
    manofire,

That wasn't meant as a slam against our Canadian brothers. I was being a smart ***** about how they could probably lose to a country (Antartica's a continent right?) that only fields a team 3 months a year due to the snow. Sorry didn't mean to make you think I meant Canada
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYSmokey
    manofire,

That wasn't meant as a slam against our Canadian brothers. I was being a smart ***** about how they could probably lose to a country (Antartica's a continent right?) that only fields a team 3 months a year due to the snow. Sorry didn't mean to make you think I meant Canada
    No offense taken, both US and Canada should be able to field teams which are competitive at this level. We both lost to Mexico, Canada was lucky to beat South Africa.

Add to this, the mighty Mexicans failed to make it to the final.

Forum Member

I've been watching the final of the WBC between Japan and Cuba and they just showed a great feature on the 2 teams working yesterday to help build modular houses for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. It was an effort that apparently was organized by Ichiro Suzuki of the Mariners. One of those great moments when sports transcends politics.

Thread Information