Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fluid exchanger

Forum Member

Default fluid exchanger

I am right now constructing a cheap coolant mixer for performing coolant flushes. Kind of a piece of equipment to maintain my laziness.

I am looking for a 10-15 gallon drum (poly), kind of like what you by chlorine in. But I have had bad luck finding one on the internet. Does anyone know of a company that sells drums 10-15 gallons?

Also do you think that a fountain pump would be ok to use to pump antifreeze?

And Where can I get a funnel that has a 1" to 1.5" diameter spout?
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Hey Mikey,

Check with your town's municipal services. Water and sewage treatment facilities often use barrels of chlorine or other milder treatment chemicals that come in those large poly barrels, and most likely would slip a clean one to the "Fire Dept". I have gotten few from mine.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMikey
    I am right now constructing a cheap coolant mixer for performing coolant flushes. Kind of a piece of equipment to maintain my laziness.

I am looking for a 10-15 gallon drum (poly), kind of like what you by chlorine in. But I have had bad luck finding one on the internet. Does anyone know of a company that sells drums 10-15 gallons?

Also do you think that a fountain pump would be ok to use to pump antifreeze?

And Where can I get a funnel that has a 1" to 1.5" diameter spout?
    Dude. I understand that it is St. Patrick's Day. But, please don't do this. The apparatus you are designing will KILL YOU! 10-15 gallons of green beer is TOO MUCH! Even if you make it look like anti-freeze.

And, I'm not sure, but if you use a 1" funnel, the beer is going to go down your throat too fast and YOU WILL DROWN!

Please rethink this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Dude. I understand that it is St. Patrick's Day. But, please don't do this. The apparatus you are designing will KILL YOU! 10-15 gallons of green beer is TOO MUCH! Even if you make it look like anti-freeze.

And, I'm not sure, but if you use a 1" funnel, the beer is going to go down your throat too fast and YOU WILL DROWN!

Please rethink this idea.

Roh roh Reorge... you are making light of a captainmikey post.. he is going to get upset!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Could do one hell of a keg stand with that puppy...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Default fluid exchanger

Oh, I thought this was about something else.

Thread Killer Extraordinaire!

Forum Member

That's bad, Jerry.

So bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LEWTFL
    That's bad, Jerry.

So bad.
    And just what did you think?

Thread Killer Extraordinaire!

Forum Member

Pretty much what the third voice from the left inside your head was thinking.

So how did your keg design work?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

I just read your post about the keg, very funny. On the actual project, I am right now trying to find a supplier that has the 10gal containers. I also found that using 36" of 10" pvc tubing might work also.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

Forum Member

Captain M,

Why don't you just find yourself an old Indian tank ? It would probably hold enough liquid and has it's own built-in pump.

Forum Member

I actualy have an few indian cans around my garage. I am actualy working with a product developer and when I am done with it, possibly will patent it and sell it to a automotive product mfgr. The target market would be "home" mechanics and small school shops who cant get a fluid exhanger at a decent price.

Here are the details as of now.
    it will be a cart, 2 tanks 10 gallons each, each tank will have 2 small fill tanks attached to them for accurate measurment of the fluids. 2 electic pumps will draw the fluids out of a petcock in the bottom of the tanks. Tank 1 will be for the coolant mix, tank 2 will be for the flush mix. There will be a small radiator cap type connection on the ends of the hose so that you can connect the system to your radiator/overflow tank.

The best thing that I have found now is that the flush mix tank will allow you to have the system hooked up to your vehicle when it is in the air, so you can have a large collection tank below, lets you run alot of flush through for a very dirty coolant system.

The coolant mix tank is basicly a "lazy" tank. It allows you to achieve a complete 100% 50/50 mix. When I did a coolant flush last month I ran into a few problems, the first was that there was some residual coolant in the system, so the mix had to be guessed, and we filled it with what we thought was the correct amount of 100% coolant, but we were not able to add the correct amout of water, it ended up about 80%/20%. The mix tank will insure that you are allways adding 50/50 mix, no guessing on how much of each to put in. As stated above, this is mainly a system to make the changes easier, kind of taking the guess work out of the mixing. My way of adding laziness to the shop.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Forum Member

on the indian can, I actualy use the indian can in the winter so that after drivng in the snow/ice I can wash off all the road salt residue. It is pretty effective.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B

Thread Information