Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Using Religion For Jobs, Rediculous

What a joke, I think that the U.S. and Canada are the only 2 countries that bow down to someone elses religion. Now I don't mean that in a bad way but we have history too. It seems that when someone comes over to our countries from another country then the gov't seems to bend the laws, rules and even our own tradition gets thrown out the window in order for them to keep theirs. For example, being a RCMP officer in Canada requires you to go to school and they have a dress. You have to wear your hat when you leave your vehicle and so on. But now if your from the middle east , hell, our traditions don't mean anything so they let them where thier turbins. Just like the D.C. firefighters with beards because of religion. There should not be anybody who should buck the system. When you apply and become a firefighter, police officer or any other job out there with protocals, rules, tradition then you follow, if you don't like them then get a different job.
    Before I became a firefighter, I had a goatee. Upon applying and becoming a firefighter I was told to shave it off on order to get my job so I did.
    I don't see any problem following beliefs but when you have come to another country then you should at least honor and accept that countries laws and beliefs.
    Remember, you are in our country and not your home country. If you have such a hard time doing such a thing then maybe it should be time to move back to your home country.
    I am born and raised on this continent and I am becoming a minority in my homeland. Uncalled for, and sickening.

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

THANKS!!!! I totally agree.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

Thumbs down

I don't get what you're complaining about, are you just fishing for something? Get over it, unless the accommodation for a religion is unreasonable there is no reason for any organization not to honor it. Bad attitude to have when trying to get a job working with the public.

MembersZone Subscriber

Read Peekay, having beards while being a firefighter? Come on. If you want to be the one to go into a burning house with him and then turn around and drag his *** out because of his mask seal then have at it. I myself wouldn't feel it safe to do so.
    Last edited by chavoman; 03-17-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Default Clean er' up

Unless its back in the 1800's, Beards on firemen are creepy.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you live in a teepee and hunt buffalo? Cause if you followed your own advice (or rather your relatives had) you would... or you would have gone back to Europe.

You had a goatee for religous reasons? I didn't think so.

Forum Member

Default It's only a matter of time

I think it's not if the seal on their masks becomes compromised but when. If that FF was working with me then the first time we couldn't finish the job because of this reason would be the last time. End of story.

Your ignorance of the world is astounding.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

The ignorance is back on you people not seeing that a job is a job. Its the requirement of the job so do it and if there is a problem don't buck it either follow the rules or get another job. Jesus, what is wrong with you people. Our countries are going to **** trying to satify everyone else and ignoring our own. It just doesn't make any sense changing something after 100 years because one day someone comes along and says its thier religion. Don't get me wrong, believe what you want to believe but if you are going to get into a career or opportunity that has had rules for years then follow those rules or don't get into that career or opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by chavoman
    The ignorance is back on you people not seeing that a job is a job. Its the requirement of the job so do it and if there is a problem don't buck it either follow the rules or get another job. Jesus, what is wrong with you people. Our countries are going to **** trying to satify everyone else and ignoring our own. It just doesn't make any sense changing something after 100 years because one day someone comes along and says its thier religion. Don't get me wrong, believe what you want to believe but if you are going to get into a career or opportunity that has had rules for years then follow those rules or don't get into that career or opportunity.
    Don't like it? Move back to where ever your ancestors came from and see if you like it there better.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Life getting you down under the bridge?

Your title is "using religion for jobs." Oddly enough, you are eliminating applicants by their religion (using religion for jobs).

Next problem with your post, firefighters are required to be US citizens- that's right, this is "their" country as well! Can you believe that?!

Last I checked, this country's government is made up of a unique blend of different country's theories of government. The legal system is from England, the overarching themes of the Constitution from France. Sounds like we have been bettered by people with different beliefs!

I'd love to continue this engaging conversation, but I need to go celebrate St. Patrick's Day- AN IRISH HOLIDAY IN AMERICA, CRAZY!

Forum Member

Were you talking about beards or religion? If you wanted to make this discussion about beards, you didn't have to bring religion into it. The world is ever changing, get over it or become a fossil.

Forum Member

Religon AND politics in one post.....

RUN FAR, RUN FAST, this will get ugly quick.

Remember the three things you don't talk about in the firehouse kitchen, religon, politics and the chiefs daughter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by REVANANT
    Religon AND politics in one post.....

RUN FAR, RUN FAST, this will get ugly quick.

Remember the three things you don't talk about in the firehouse kitchen, religon, politics and the chiefs daughter.

She is hot though isn't she?!?!?!

Forum Member

Default Point?

I think what he was trying to convey (somewhat poorly) was, that why do we have to make exceptions for every Tom, Dick and Harry? Seems everyday some group, club or employer has to change something because a person has an issue...

lets go over a few that I remember made the news in the last few years...

there was a woman in Florida? She was muslim, she said she couldn't remove her veil for her license photo.

What about the transgendered employee that said they need their own bathroom (not a Womans or a Mens), their own private bathroom.

A young man that was in a wheel chair and sued to be a member of the track team? (And won?)

Where do we stop? At some point people have to understand that we can't keep bending over backwards to make people happy...it is just getting way out out of hand!

While I may not agree with how he said it or the "tone", I do agree with the concept. If you want a job with an outfit that has rules/regulations about hair, follow said rules/regs or find another line of work. Simple.

Next thing these "people" are going to want a pass on is cuting their hair for US millitary service.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information