Forum Member

Default Freightliner M2 4x4

We have just been approved for an new truck . We have decided on a Freightliner M2 4x4 chassis (new this year) with a poly body and a 1700 gallon tank. We chose the Freightliner mostly due to price (it was $12000 less than a International).

The truck we are replacing is 27 years old and has 6000 miles on it. We figure any chassis is going to last with that amount of use.

I don't want to start a war between Freightliner fans and International fans (although it would be funny) what I am interested in is any departments with the same chassis. I can find some with the M2 but not 4x4. I have found FL80 4x4s and I can find lots with International 4x4 but I haven't found a M2 4x4. Does anyone know of one? Any pictures?

__________________________________________________ _____________

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

"I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to die in a fire of suspicious origin "

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's one for sure.. I'll look if I have others.

Don't feel bad about one vs. the other. We have an IH 4x4 simply because Illinois state bid saved us over $10K buying through their program. FL has certain advantages. They have more interior volume, you have the aluminum cab instead of steel, and the raised roof is a free option on the four door where you can't get that from IH.

You going with Mercedes power or Cat? Anyone else hear that Freightliner is switching from Cat to Cummins for their "other" engine option after 2007 in the smaller M2/106 chassis versions?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by npfd801; 03-17-2006 at 11:40 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

More photos:

2-door 4x4 M2 - S&S

4-door 4x4 M2 - Elite

4-door 4x4 M2 - Elite

4-door 4x4 M2 - Elite

I'll try to find more. I know quite a few were built for overseas (Afghanistan, I think), but don't have any photos.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=blmoore20]We have just been approved for an new truck . We have decided on a Freightliner M2 4x4 chassis (new this year) with a poly body and a 1700 gallon tank. We chose the Freightliner mostly due to price (it was $12000 less than a International).

The truck we are replacing is 27 years old and has 6000 miles on it. We figure any chassis is going to last with that amount of use.

I don't want to start a war between Freightliner fans and International fans (although it would be funny) what I am interested in is any departments with the same chassis. I can find some with the M2 but not 4x4. I have found FL80 4x4s and I can find lots with International 4x4 but I haven't found a M2 4x4. Does anyone know of one? Any pictures?

__________________________________________________ _____________

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."

"I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death for your right to die in a fire of suspicious origin " [/a mfg we buy from has has built 4x4 units give them a call, len heling @ elite fire appuratus 715-787-4448]

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

call elite fire appuratus ask for len heling at 715-787-4448

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

bdaenterprises... call elite fire appuratus ask for len heling at 715-787-4448
    Did Firefighter807 change names and become a billboard for Elite now?

FyreduP

Forum Member

Thanks for the pics. To answer npfd801, we are going with the Mercedes 330 HP engine. It is also going to be a 2 door cab as we plan to use it primarily as a small tanker.

We ran into the state bid thing also. Freightliner has the bid in NH now so that is why it was less money.

Forum Member

Word in the truck biz (I am a mechanic too) is that the M2 is not nearly as awful as the original FL series but we just placed an order too and we are not giving Freightliner another chance. A big factor was who was going to repair that Mercedes engine. We hate the local Freightliner dealer and the Detroit dealership just changed hands. At least with International, when the International engine breaks there is a big building with the word "International" on it we can go to.

But with only 6000 miles in its lifetime, I suppose you could get a Yugo and be happy

Birken

Forum Member

For us the International dealer and the Freightliner dealer are both a 1/2 hour away so that wasn't a big factor. Personally the idea of a Mercedes engine doesn't bother me although I'm not a "truck guy". I have owned both Mercedes and BMW cars and I feel German engineering is better than most others in the world. I don't know if it holds true with the truck engines or not. I guess we will find out.

Does anyone know if the Merc engine is more common or is the Cat?

As far a contacting Elite, we sent them an RFP and never heard from them, oh well.

Can you get a Yugo with a 38,000# chassis?

Brian
    Last edited by blmoore20; 03-18-2006 at 03:31 PM.

Forum Member

Not jumping into the fray just passing on info. May want to give Jeff Hawkins at Performance ALF a call. I know they sold a 4x4 M2 to Chatman(?) VA with a 14ft rescue box. And just FYI yes I USED(keyword) to work for an ALF dealer(No not in VA but on the east coast)
    Last edited by pocambu; 03-18-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Forum Member

Check out Danko Emergency Equipment at www.Danko.net . Look under new deliveries for Gering Valley Rural Fire District. Freightliner M2 4x4, 1500 gallon poly tank with integral foam cell, Waterous E-511A pump, and Foam Pro 1601.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blmoore20
    Does anyone know if the Merc engine is more common or is the Cat?
    Brian
    Around here there's mixed feelings. I know a trucking company that runs Freightshaker Centurys with the 500 horse Mercedes. They love the power but they tell me parts are outrageous and a pain to work on. Back to fire apparatus - one department that neighbors us recently got a Tanker with a 330 horse Mercedes in the M2, and they love it. They say it has more get up and go than both of their Cummins (probably 8.3 or up Cummins). The department that neighbors us on the other side recently got two pumpers on the M2 with the 330 horse mercedes. They tell me they're not impressed with it. The cousin to these two trucks has a C7 Cat, and hands down they've prefered the Cat now. They say the Mercedes has no bottom end, it has to get up and moving, actually into the last two gears before it really gets down and starts to pull.

Personally, I favor the Cat, esp. if you have a Cat dealer/mechanic nearby.
    Service is the rent you pay for having space on earth.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blmoore20
    For us the International dealer and the Freightliner dealer are both a 1/2 hour away so that wasn't a big factor. Personally the idea of a Mercedes engine doesn't bother me although I'm not a "truck guy". I have owned both Mercedes and BMW cars and I feel German engineering is better than most others in the world. I don't know if it holds true with the truck engines or not. I guess we will find out.
    Well just so I can say I told you so The engine is a Mercedes engine not a Freightliner engine. Maybe they have gotten this figured out or maybe not but around here there are no Mercedes engine shops to work on them. Freightliner is good if you need a door lock fixed maybe...

As far as the engineering goes think of the conglomerate you are buying from. Daimler Chrysler with a heavy emphasis on Chrysler engineering, quality control, etc But they also own Detroit Diesel so the closest thing to a mercedes engine shop is a Detroit shop but they see the writing on the wall, that the mother ship may take over, Detroit may come to an end, who knows. The old time mechanics are trying to get trained on the Mercedes products at some locations but they are old timers used to the stone age Detroits so the super high tech complicated Mercedes stuff has some of them resisting retraining until they can retire. Who does that leave? You tell me. For a fleet that can buy a bunch and train their own mechanics it's one thing but for a small company that is dependent on a shop to do the work I prefer something more mainstream.

Not trying to say anyone's done anything wrong just the writing on the wall as I see it and anybody that happens to be reading can make their own decisions. DC has already spun off one sizeable element of their conglomeration (ALF) and I don't think they have a very clear vision for what's they still have.

Birken

Forum Member

blmoore20, I live in NH and at one time worked for Freightliner. I have some info that might help you in spec'ing out a truck. It's a 12 page fill in the blank or check off a box form that walks you through the truck front to back. It's in word format and I would be happy to email it to you. I also have some phots and drawings of various manufactures of M2 4X4. Contact me at this email if you wish. tomwnh@yahoo.com

And so not to be accused of something like some other posters here, I admit freely that am in the apparatus business. Quite a few people on here know me so can't hide who I am or what I do. Would not even if I could.

Forum Member

No hiding for you,you bandit! Where's my repair panels? On the sampan? I'm not a big Mercedes fan,nicely built engines but a major PITA to work on.Like the others said,on servicing them DDA is as close as you can get handy. Good luck,T.C.

Forum Member

We just ordered a M2 4X4 with a Cat engine for more low end grunt.

MembersZone Subscriber

What most people dont realize is that the technology mercedes is using is the same as what detroit is using. Especially since the last emissions standards were released. When Detroit unveils its new engine for 2007 (they are doing away with the 60 series) the similarities between it and the MBE 4000 will be "scary".
    As far as what i see working at a Freightliner/Alf dealership is the CAT is a powerful engine. Parts are expensive, and the HEUI system is not the best idea in the world but if you want power that is probably the way to go.
    The MBE 900 which is used in the medium duty stuff is a solid engine. It doesnt break down near as much. Very good for a fleet. However if you like to work on your own trucks the it is not the engine for you. The main two problems we see are head gaskets and leaking fuel lines. People try to change their own fuel filter and then it wont start. So not knowing any better they (a) shoot ether to it which will eventually cause the head gasket to leak or (b) loosen the fuel lines to bleed the air and then over torque them which causes them to leak.
    However if you do like to work on your own trucks then you are not going to like the M2. You would not believe the kind of damage you could do with just a test light. Just my opinion.

Forum Member

I don't know why people think the 60's are going away.No one I've talked to at DDA nor any of the information posted on the 07 engine line up would indicate this.In fact DDA is touting the venerable old 60 as being fully 07 compliant.I don't know of any mechanic who really enjoys working on a Mercedes diesel.Good engines? Yes. User friendly? Ah, that would be a definite negative. Part of the reason DDA built the 60 the way they did was so it would be upgradeable for a long time.Look how long the 71 series served/lasted.I really don't think DDA will put all their eggs in a MB basket. T.C.

Forum Member

I have been hearing about the 60's demise from "reliable" sources ever since the 4000 came out but it is my impression that DC would like to get rid of it eventually, but is pushing it further and further back as market conditions warrant. At this point it looks like the 60 and 4000 will both be gone sometime after '10 at which point it will be time for a whole new engine platform anyhow.

Birken

Thread Information