Forum Member

Question Standards to Support Portable Radios

Can anyone point me in the direction of any standards that would support the purchase of portable radios (NFPA, OSHA, etc...)? Thanks in advance for your help!

Forum Member

If it's to replace old radios that are not narrowband compliant, make sure you mention the FCC's narrowband mandates, and the fact that the federal interop channels (VTAC,UTAC,etc.) are narrowband channels, so you can't use them if you don't have narrowband radios.

As for NFPA, you can look at NFPA 1221 (section 8.3.6) and see if that offers anything that might help you out.

You might also mention that portable radios will improve on-scene communication and coordination, which will help with NIMS, safety, RIT, etc.

Also make sure you check out the SAFECOM grant guidance document. Although it's not a standard, it wouldn't hurt to mention that you've read it and are following the guidelines.

http://www.safecomprogram.gov/SAFECO...fecomgrant.htm

Andy

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The only thing that matters in radio and communications projects is compliance with the state's plan. They will be making phone calls to check on all radio apps.

NFPA 1710/20, and 1500 would apply. Reducing risk, effective fireground communications, etc, etc.

Forum Member

That safecom web site, is that a different grants tahn the AFG? We are also looking for radio's and or MDT's. If not can someone help with a website or company that might offer a grant for them.

Forum Member

Check on the USFA/NFA website for a report that details the status of America's Fire Service. I think it's in the technical report series. I used some of the information contained in that report for our '05 grant and got funded.
    Steved

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Andy probably has better links, I just have the SAFECOM documents. They have their own web site, just can't remember what it is.

USFA Report #FA-240 A Needs Assessment of the U.S Fire Service was an NFPA study done in 2002, an update of an earlier report from the 90s. These are the documents the program priorities are mainly based off of.

Forum Member

This is from the SAFECOM website:

"While SAFECOM does not provide grants, it has developed the Grant Guidance Document to promote interoperability improvement efforts. This document, which has been used by FEMA, COPS, and ODP, states block grant programs, outlines eligibility for grants, the purposes for which grants can be used, and guidelines for implementing a wireless communication system."

As it says, SAFECOM does not provide grants. They're trying to provide guidance to various grant programs so that they have a good way to evaluate requests for communications gear.

www.safecomprogram.gov

Andy

Forum Member

Can anyone give me more details on the federal interoperability channels? Are they UHF frequencies? Are they usable by any public safety entity? Are they in use yet?

Forum Member

[QUOTE=Pride373]Can anyone give me more details on the federal interoperability channels? Are they UHF frequencies? Are they usable by any public safety entity? Are they in use yet?[/QUOTE

We run on UHF and we have a set programmed into our radios for the OH MY GOODNESS day. I hear there are some departments using them for fireground tac channels I am not sure if that is legal of not. I have also heard thre are channels for UHF and VHF and 800 mhz.

Forum Member

I hate to hijack this topic, but these federal interop channels are absolutely brand new to me. I've been trying to work on getting my township and county to secure some shared basic simplex channels - are these channels available for use throughout the country? Does anyone have more information on this?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pride373
    I hate to hijack this topic, but these federal interop channels are absolutely brand new to me. I've been trying to work on getting my township and county to secure some shared basic simplex channels - are these channels available for use throughout the country? Does anyone have more information on this?
    Our county just upgraded are radio system. Part of the upgrade was to purchase new portables and mobiles that were not capabile of using narrow band frequencies. Anyway when the new radios were delivered the program installed had the UHF set installed. We then installed that program into all of are radios for the interoperbility requirement. I would think you local county DEM coordinator or State Home Land Security office should have this info. If you have trouble let me know and I will do some research.

Forum Member

As a result of last years AFG award for communications, we have been involved with the programming of A LOT of radios for our county. To maintain interoperability with the State fire department, we borrowed their entire "load" of 138 channels to be placed into group 3 of our new Kenwood mobiles.

Within their "load" for the VHF 150-174 meg spread are 5 national interop channels

RX TX TONE
    VCALL 155.7525 155.7525 156.7
    VTAC 1 151.1375 151.1375 156.7
    VTAC 2 154.4525 154.4525 156.7
    VTAC 3 158.7375 158.7375 156.7
    VTAC 4 159.4725 159.4725 156.7

Because they are VHF they begin with V...UHF are UTAC etc. They are national tactical frequencies available to all with VHF transmitters.

Hope this helps..... GOOD LUCK TO ALL

Tom

Forum Member

Default P25 Compliance

I think as you work on the grant you want to have a portable that is P25 Compliance that will work on narrowband and wideband.

There also seems to be portables out there that are programmable by lay people. I do not know that the cost difference.

But the important source is for information is http://radios.nifc.gov/ and it has review of products and training.

I did a Department of Interior Wildland annual refresher training last week and I guess in large wildfires there are some real safety issues arising from people showing up with wideband rather than narrowband radios.

I think the web page and the training powerpoint might be able to give you some background to make a good choice with your purchases.

Sean
    Quaker49 - Saratoga, NY

Forum Member

There are a set of federal interop channels for each band (VHF, UHF, 800 MHz, soon to be 700 MHz). The full text of the FCC Report and Order creating these channels can be found at

http://wireless.fcc.gov/releases/fcc00-348.pdf

Here are the frequencies:

151.1375 base/mobile VTAC 1 not available in PR/VI
    154.4525 base/mobile VTAC 2 not available in PR/VI
    155.7525 base/mobile VCALL
    158.7375 base/mobile VTAC 3
    159.4725 base/mobile VTAC 4

453.2125 base/mobile UCALLa
    458.2125 mobile UCALL
    453.4625 base/mobile UTAC 1a
    458.4625 mobile UTAC 1
    453.7125 base/mobile UTAC 2a
    458.7125 mobile UTAC 2
    453.8625 base/mobile UTAC 3a
    458.8625 mobile UTAC 3

866.01250 821.01250 ICALL
    866.51250 821.51250 ITAC1
    867.01250 822.01250 ITAC2
    867.51250 822.51250 ITAC3
    868.01250 823.01250 ITAC4

All of these channels are narrowband and have a 156.7 Hz tone TX and RX.

Here is a good site that has them all laid out nicely:

http://www.cio.sc.gov/cioContent.asp...815&menuID=427

I believe the 800 MHz frequencies will change region by region during rebanding. If you're not familiar with rebanding and you're on 800 MHz you need to get familiar with it now! Check out

http://wireless.fcc.gov/publicsafety...on/index2.html

Also note that these channels are for interagency communication. I wouldn't make a habit of using them as a day-to-day fireground channel. Finally, note that the UHF and 800 MHz channels are repeater pairs. Simplex (direct unit to unit) communications should be on the repeater output frequency. When programming radios, make sure you either have Talkaround enabled or have a seperate channel for simplex operation.

Andy

Thread Information