Thread: A Few Questons

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A Few Questons

Ok here it is, I have my FF2, Hazmat Ops, EMT-B, and Truck Co Ops all from the University of Illinois Fire Academy. Can I go over seas and be a firefighter? Illinois is not an ifsac state so none of my certs are ifsac. Will I qualify?

Second question, I have read alot about the DOD fire academy in Texas is this academy only for military personel or can civilians go through. I noticed that all the certs you get from there are ifsac and I could really use that since I will be applying all over.

I ask because this sounds like a very good way to get some awsome training and it sounds like an awsome experence.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=firefightermfd1]Ok here it is, I have my FF2, Hazmat Ops, EMT-B, and Truck Co Ops all from the University of Illinois Fire Academy. Can I go over seas and be a firefighter? Illinois is not an ifsac state so none of my certs are ifsac. Will I qualify? NO Unless they are NPQ/PreBoard, they have reciprocity with each other

Second question, I have read alot about the DOD fire academy in Texas is this academy only for military personel or can civilians go through. Military or civilian employees of Federal/State govt only.

Yes, it is an excellent school. You could join the reserve or Guard if you want to go that bad.

MembersZone Subscriber

Make sure that's AIR guard or AIR FORCE Reserve. The way the Army is going right now, I'd get out and join the USMC ARFF if I wasn't so *%#* old.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
    The way the Army is going right now, I'd get out and join the USMC ARFF if I wasn't so *%#* old.
    Boy, you must be REALLY desperate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
    Make sure that's AIR guard or AIR FORCE Reserve. The way the Army is going right now, I'd get out and join the USMC ARFF if I wasn't so *%#* old.
    yeah, that would work, except they don't let you go in guarenteed firefighter. Crew chief and firefighter are in the same category, and you're more likely to get crew chief.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Sorry Spectre, you're wrong. Active Duty works that way, not Guard and Reserve. They usually recruit for a specific local billet. How's the academy treating you? Did you make it to Block V yet? If not, hold on to your azzz, everyone says it's the most academically difficult. Long nights studying, you won't have time to hang at the E Club that week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    Sorry Spectre, you're wrong. Active Duty works that way, not Guard and Reserve. They usually recruit for a specific local billet. How's the academy treating you? Did you make it to Block V yet? If not, hold on to your azzz, everyone says it's the most academically difficult. Long nights studying, you won't have time to hang at the E Club that week.
    ahh, that may be. I don't know any USMC reservists here though. All the marines that I've met so far are active duty.

Actually i'm in block VI now. I graduate in less than 2 weeks.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    ahh, that may be. I don't know any USMC reservists here though. All the marines that I've met so far are active duty.
    There's only 150 of us in the Reserve, over 1000 on active duty. Most of the Reserves will go to MOS school in the summer, due to college.

Forum Member

GunnyV, if you don't mind me asking, where are you stationed? Were you ever active? S/F

Forum Member

I'm with 471, in Michigan as the NCOIC. My only active time as a 7051 was at New River during OIF. I lat-moved from combat engineers. There is a substantial shortage of 7051 SNCOs in the Reserve.

How about you? I didn't think there was an active duty station that had weather conducive to a "frozen"7051-unless of course you're referring to lack of promotion opportunity.

Forum Member

Glad to meet ya! I've got a buddy with the Willow Grove MWSS who was trying to get me to come back to Crash Crew, he was saying too how the MOS was hurting for SNCOs. I'm an 0231 in the reserves right now. I was 7051 on active duty - mainly west coast and japan. I went back to 0311 in the reserves and subsequently became an 0231 when they got rid of our STA platoon. The "frozen" comes from my email addy - I started it when I was in Antarctica. I was one of those crazy kooks who took a firefighting contract job down there after I got out. Loved it! But I sure know what you mean about that frozen promotion zone...especially in the reserves! I don't think I saw the 70 occ field promote a SSgt for about 6 years! When I got recalled for OEF/OIF, I ran into a 7051 SSgt at MWSS-371 that was one of my PFCs back in 97 right before I got out. Weird. They were promoting pretty fast on the active side for a while. Well, if there's anything I can ever do for ya, drop me a line.

Take care! Semper Fi!

Forum Member

Who's the buddy at Willow Grove? 3 of my SSgts went to the Gulf with them last year, I also know a few of them. All 3 of those SSgts made Gunny this year, two of them with minimum time in grade. Promotions are fast and furious in the Reserve now. Seems funny after it took me 8 years to make MSgt. I don't suppose you know Mike Moutray? He was a Sgt in our section for a while, also did time in Antarctica. Last I heard he was a fire inspector for Wackenhut at the GM Proving Grounds.

I'm sure we could probably compare notes and know a lot of the same folks. Small world, smaller Corps. See you around the forums.

Semper Fi

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frozen7051
    Glad to meet ya! I've got a buddy with the Willow Grove MWSS who was trying to get me to come back to Crash Crew, he was saying too how the MOS was hurting for SNCOs. I'm an 0231 in the reserves right now. I was 7051 on active duty - mainly west coast and japan. I went back to 0311 in the reserves and subsequently became an 0231 when they got rid of our STA platoon. The "frozen" comes from my email addy - I started it when I was in Antarctica. I was one of those crazy kooks who took a firefighting contract job down there after I got out. Loved it! But I sure know what you mean about that frozen promotion zone...especially in the reserves! I don't think I saw the 70 occ field promote a SSgt for about 6 years! When I got recalled for OEF/OIF, I ran into a 7051 SSgt at MWSS-371 that was one of my PFCs back in 97 right before I got out. Weird. They were promoting pretty fast on the active side for a while. Well, if there's anything I can ever do for ya, drop me a line.

Take care! Semper Fi!

how did you get the antarctica job? Who does that? I'd love to do that after I get out, even though it's a ways down the road.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Raytheon right??? When I was AD @ Peterson those guys would use our pit. Spectre... theres lottsa good contract gigs out there. Check Dodfire.com and goto the the jobs link. You'll see some good opportunities posted there every once and awhile. Start researching these things now because time will fly!

Forum Member

Spectre - back when I did it, ASA (a subsidary of EG&G) had the contract. I think Raytheon got the contract in 2000 or so. When I applied, ASA was recruiting heavily for the Antarctic contract from the military and colleges. You could pick up any month's Military Times or a college magazine and find an ad for Antarctic contract work. It was a great time. The best part is the travel to/from through New Zealand. I believe Raytheon Polar Services has a website that lists all their requirements as well as application procedures. I have noticed that in recent years, however, there are many more lucrative (aka more $$$) FFing contracting gigs out there. Also realize that if your dream is to get on with a municpal FD, that six months or year that you spend as a contract FF is a year that you miss of not being home testing or taking classes you need to be more competitive in the hiring process. As has been mentioned in previous threads, for some departments - all the firefighting experience in the world (ie - volunteer, military, contract) is not going to make a difference unless you meet their prerequisites.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey your in michigan what part?

Thread Information