Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fire academy

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation fire academy

right now im going threw the fire academy in northwest fl. and tonight i learned something that i will never forget.!!! if you remember what i fist wrote see fire academy part 2. its all the truth this time.
    Last edited by ffarasnick; 03-23-2006 at 12:23 AM. Reason: im not a liar.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffarasnick
    right now im going threw the fire academy in northwest fl. and at first i loved it but now that i am half way done with it i hate it. i go there for 4 to 8 hours everyday and i get nothing out of it. we were told on the first day of class that we were going to learn how to be firefighters and then they told us that they arnt going to teach us how to be firefighters they were going to teach us how to pass the state test. now on top of that each instructor has their own way of doing things, which is fine, but now we dont even know whats their way or the states way. what do you think should be taught in the fire academy and can anyone give me some words to go on so i can get threw this???
    I would just resign. There is sure to be someone who is not a little crybaby who wants the spot.

MembersZone Subscriber

George, 6700 posts means you don't have a life--it doesn't mean you can be a total jerk. As my mother told me--if you don't have something nice to say, keep yer yap SHUT.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    I would just resign. There is sure to be someone who is not a little crybaby who wants the spot.

LMAO couldn't agree more LOL

Word of advice they know more then you, listen to them , get through it , and move on.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Quote Originally Posted by paulmarsh
    George, 6700 posts means you don't have a life--it doesn't mean you can be a total jerk. As my mother told me--if you don't have something nice to say, keep yer yap SHUT.
    This will be fun to watch!

Oh, and ffarasnick I would suggest 1) either quit or suck it up and finish and 2) learn spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840
    This will be fun to watch!

Oh, and ffarasnick I would suggest 1) either quit or suck it up and finish and 2) learn spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.
    I hope you chose not to check your own punctualization out of a deep love of irony.

Originally Posted by ffarasnick
    right now im going threw the fire academy in northwest fl. and at first i loved it but now that i am half way done with it i hate it. i go there for 4 to 8 hours everyday and i get nothing out of it. we were told on the first day of class that we were going to learn how to be firefighters and then they told us that they arnt going to teach us how to be firefighters they were going to teach us how to pass the state test. now on top of that each instructor has their own way of doing things, which is fine, but now we dont even know whats their way or the states way. what do you think should be taught in the fire academy and can anyone give me some words to go on so i can get threw this???
    Posted by George
    Could this be a reincarnation of the infamous Woody from Maplewood, Ohio.. home of the "supper pumper" (Note: his word, not mine!) with lots of bright orange 2 and a half inch hose who knew more than his instructors at the Ohio Academy even though he flunked the 36 hour volunteer orientation course?

Arasnick... There are literally thousands of people who would kill to be in your place right now. You have two choices...suck it up and deal with it or quit.

Just remember... if you quit, you are going to be walking away from an opportunity of a lifetime.

Choose wisely!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

There is absolutly NO school in this world that can teach you to be a firefighter, none, nada, zilch. They ALL (hopefully) teach you to pass the state test. The ones who teach you to be a firefighter are the ones you will work with from day to day through your whole life. I just finished the academy a few months ago and I now have my FFII card, it says my name in nice bold letters and right under it it says "Certified State of Ohio Firefighter II". Does this mean I am a firefighter? NO, it means I now have the base upon which I can EARN my title as a firefighter. I dont even work for a fire dept yet so how can I even begin to consider myself a firefighter? Being a firefighter isnt somthing you just go through an academy and become, its somthing you earn throughout your entire life and thats why having the greatest job in the entire world holds as much respect, integrity, and dignity that it does. Shut your mouth, listen to EVERYTHING your instructors say, and get through class. THEN you can start your journey to be a firefighter.

Forum Member

This is called jumping through the "Hoops." In order to be a firefighter you have to jump through the "hoops." You have to pass the state exam in order to become a firefighter. Just the same as you have to pass the state exam to become and EMT. You have to pass the physical agility test to be a firefighter.

You seeing a pattern yet????

With that kind of attitude you'll be lucky to make it on the job let alone survive the department's academy and probation. Because I'll put money on that if you get on you'll go through even more training on "This is how we do it here." If that is a problem, leave now and give the spot to someone else.

There is absolutly NO school in this world that can teach you to be a firefighter, none, nada, zilch. They ALL (hopefully) teach you to pass the state test. The ones who teach you to be a firefighter are the ones you will work with from day to day through your whole life. I just finished the academy a few months ago and I now have my FFII card, it says my name in nice bold letters and right under it it says "Certified State of Ohio Firefighter II". Does this mean I am a firefighter? NO, it means I now have the base upon which I can EARN my title as a firefighter. I dont even work for a fire dept yet so how can I even begin to consider myself a firefighter? Being a firefighter isnt somthing you just go through an academy and become, its somthing you earn throughout your entire life and thats why having the greatest job in the entire world holds as much respect, integrity, and dignity that it does. Shut your mouth, listen to EVERYTHING your instructors say, and get through class. THEN you can start your journey to be a firefighter.
    ditto

Amazing...the post I quoted is respectful in tone and word choice. Guess it's not so hard after all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by paulmarsh
    Gee, if I am being a total jerk, than so are alot of people who AGREE WITH ME. You quoting your mother? I'll quote mine. She told me to punch the crap out of anybody who talks smack to me. Now what do I do?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up thanks

Thanks for all the words. I have done some hard thinking and I have pulled my head out of my *** and grew a pair. I guess I just needed to grow up and realize that everything in life isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Thanks for all the words. I have done some hard thinking and I have pulled my head out of my *** and grew a pair. I guess I just needed to grow up and realize that everything in life isn't going to be a walk in the park.
    I'm glad you realized that. Get tough, stay tough, be smart, keep a good head on your shoulders, and you'll be fine. Make sure you're getting into this for the right reason and never lose sight of that reason, IMHOP.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

It takes a man to admit he is wrong. Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

These instructors are either lazy or very smart. I am going with the second. They need you to pass the academy and you need it to get hired. I do not believe that a state run academy is going to help you very much,besides the basics, when you get out on the job. Each dept. is run differently and you will need to learn their ways of doing things. More than likely these guys have taught this academy before and will get you what you need to pass. Let your dept teach you what you need to know.

hey bro....good luck! I just graduated from an academy in Central Fla...PM or email me later..
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

OK recruit, here is some advice. Take it for what it is worth or just shut up, either way i don't really care. Recruit school is the basic foundation for the skills you will use and build upon your entire career. The instructors are there to teach you the basics for that foundation and give you what is needed to graduate, and yes pass the state exam. What you learn in recruit school also does one thing I am sure you had no idea about. It gives you just enough information to be dangerous and get yourself killed. There are alot of people who I am sure would love to take your place. You might stop complaining about it, and suck it up. Mind over matter, you don't mind it really won't matter. Listen and learn, it won't hurt you but bitching will. The instructors did not get there by being lazy and stupid. On a final note, there are alot of things in this job that are great, and alot that are crappy. As recruit you have to experience the crappy first and pass the academy. Good luck to you new guy I wish you were at my station, I like to straighten out the new people, heck, you can come over to my house and eat some cheese to go with your whine.

Forum Member

Have you looked at the state perfomance objectives?
    That is the way yhe state wants it done for the test.
    Those objectives are available to you and are posted on the internet.
    Have you looked at the following website:www.itech.pjc.edu
    Your instructors are teaching from these, they are teaching you additional information, or stuff that is niece to know.

Default Good job George

Sometimes a gentle swat of a newspaper across a young pups schnozz is all it takes to keep him from growing into a MUTT. I was the receipient of several myself. It works. This time I think it did too.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Exclamation

Ummmm, sitting over here on the side lines waiting for the coach to put me into the game. In the meanwhile I am munching on pop corn and drinking sodas. I think I already know who will be the winner here and it sure will not be the whinny rookie. Maybe it is time that we sell some cheese to go with the whine.

Any how, if I was pleased or satisfied with the training or the instructors and or the way that the school was going, I would turn my stuff in and go back to flipping the burgers at the burger doodle or to what ever you were doing. The fire service has enough cry babies that has slipped through the cracks over the years. When I came on the job over 30 years ago, if you whined and cried like this you would have been made shame of and force to leave, as we didnít need you but men with a set and those would could take it and lump it.

Sonny, it is time to shut up and learn or move on.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Thread Information