Thread: Gear Washer

Forum Member

Default Gear Washer

has anyone had any luck writing for a TOG Washer? Ive written for an engine last year, TIC and SCBA earlier, but really hitting the wall on this one. If you can help, email me.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Compliance with NFPA 1851? Beats using a garden hose? Nothing? Having combustion products in the gear, grinding down the fabric so it doesn't last half as long as it should? Exposing the FF to a continuous shower of carcinogens?

C'mon, man, I know you can handle this one. This is the easy one on the list compared to what you've done already. 2/3rds of a page at 12pt font and you're done.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got one with our FY2004 Grant. Like BD79er said, its an easy piece of equipment to justify for safety reasons. Safety of firefighters is top of the list in the AFG program. Did you purchase your gear with a Grant? If you did, say so. Stress that a washer will be a good use of public funds, as it will extend the life of the equipment already funded. If your gear was not grant funded, it was still likely publicly funded in another manner. Just ask for what you need to do the job. Don't go overboard on cost or size. Good luck.

Forum Member

Default Help

This is my first time writing for something like this. Where does it fall on the grant list..under what catagory? Can anyone who has received an extractor help me out with a winning narrative? Id be willing to help in return with a PPE or Apparatus Narrative. I dont know why Im hitting the wall on this. I have written many grants..maybe hitting the wall. If you can help, please email me at tlc@whsd.org

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Equipment. It's somewhere down close to the bottom of the list. Why didn't you ask me that last night on the phone?

Forum Member

Default Thanks BC

I was so out of it with grant information, final details on our new pumper..etc. Thanks for all the help throughout the years. You should win some kind of award.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Understandable. I plan on being out of it from Friday at 501pm until Monday morning until I go back to work.

No awards, just saying thanks is good enough for me.

Forum Member

What are the NFPA standards or other requirements that can be put into the narrative. We are looking at a Milnor washer/extractor, along with a couple of other things we would like to accomplish

FH Mag/.com Contributor

NFPA 1851, the Standard on the Selection, Care, and Maintenance of Structural Firefighting Ensembles. And yes, I did that by memory. Can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday but I'll spit out NFPA codes left and right. Of course I've been typing NFPA code titles more in the past two weeks than I've had meals in my life so it's fresh.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check NFPA 1500-7.1.3, this talks about cleaning gear every 6 months amongst other things.

Thread Information